Ken Masters: 6

Helena Shaw vs. Lori Quaid
MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Match 18458 The Loonatics vs. Hexxus

Project: Rehab.  Case #3.  Session #1 

Acmetropolis.  2742 

The moon shone over the city as three hooded and cloaked figures made their way through a park.  The larger of the three carried a small, metallic box.  The leader held up his hand to stop, then extend a bony finger at a clearing in the park.  “Yes.  This shall be the place where our master shall rise!  Proceed!”  The large man set the box down, and pressed a button that caused the top to slide open.  He reached in and pulled out a flowerpot that held a single, twisted stem.  The third man, the youngest, rolled his eyes as the larger acolyte walked into the clearing with a shovel and started digging a hole for the small ‘plant’. 

“I can’t believe you dragged me out in the middle of the night to plant that dumb weed,” he grumbled.  The old leader grabbed the complainer by his shirt and glared at him.  “Be silent, Randal!  That ‘dumb weed’ holds the essence of our master!  I searched all through the rain forest to find his tree, and even though it had decayed and rotted, this sapling remained!”  The large acolyte carefully placed the stem into the hole he dug.  “Sooo, how long is it gonna take for ‘the master’ to be ready?”  asked Randal. 

“Oh, it will take time,” the leader said profoundly.  “Many years, perhaps decades.  But we will watch and wait.  When the master has fully restored himself, then we shall release him from his prison.  And then he shall use his power to blanket the entire globe in darkness!  Hail Hexxus!” 

“Hail Hexxus!” said the acolyte as he laid the last mound of earth around the sapling. 

“Yeah, yeah.  Hail Hexxus,” Randall said bored. 

Acemetropolis.  2772

The city buzzed with activity as Rev Runner and Danger Duck landed in the park with their jetpacks.  “All clear!  All quiet!  6 o’clock and all’s well!” chattered Rev. 

“Oh, pipe down,” grumbled Duck.  “To think that I, an accomplished superhero, is now forced to be doing foot patrol of some crummy park.” 

“But it’s not a crummy park,” said Rev with his usual quickness.  “Though there maybe crumbs in the park.  Maybe leftovers from a picnic!  Speaking of picnics, are you hungry?  I’m starving!” 

Duck generated an ‘egg ‘ in his hand and tossed it back and forth.  “Go eat tree bark or something.  I’m gonna do some target practice.  Gotta keep the ol’ Danger Duck skills sharp.”  He turned and pointed at the twisted, leafless tree in the middle of the clearing.  “And there’s my first target.”  Rev sped around Duck and held out his hands to block him.  “Come on, Duck!  You shouldn’t be trying to blow up a tree.  You can plant a tree, grow a tree, maybe even hug a tree.  But you shouldn’t blow up a tree!”  Duck shoved Rev aside.  “Relax, motor mouth.  That old thing looks like it’s been waiting to come down for years.  I’ll be doing the city a favor!” 

Before Rev could respond, Duck hurled the glowing orb at the tree.  There was a blinding flash of light when the ‘egg’ made contact, and the force of the explosion knocked Duck and Rev to the grass.  Out of the ruins of the tree, a billowing black smoke emerged.  And from the bushes behind the tree, an old man in a hood and cloak looked on with glee.  “Yes!  It’s time!  At last, it’s time!” 

“Gee!” coughed Duck.  “That was some egg!” 

“Yeah,” snarked Rev.  “If it was a firecracker, dynamite, and an atom bomb rolled into one!” 

The black smoke slowly began to coalesce until it formed into a skeleton, then wrapped around it a body of darkness and sludge.  A smirking face looked down on the two Loonatics. 

“Finally!” the being said.  “I am finally free at last!  Free to drain this world dry and reduce it to a glorious toxic wasteland.” 

Rev glared at Duck.  “I’m gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say that’s a bad guy.  Though I could be wrong.  He's just a creature made of darkness monologuing about being trapped and wanting to destroy the planet.  Oh wait.  I’m not wrong.  He’s a bad guy!”  

“Don’t blame me!” said Duck.  “How was I supposed to know that there was a pile of dark, tall, and gruesome in a tree?!” 

“Ah, so you are the one who released me?” Hexxus hissed.  “Well, it’s only fair that I reward you.  How about a light?”  Hexxus spat out a burst of fire towards Duck.  Duck yelped and quantum quacked out of the way, causing the fire to strike the trees behind him.  Rev sped towards Hexxus.  “So you want to play rough, huh?  Well, Mom always said never to play with matches!  Or run with scissors!  Or talk with your mouth full!” 

Rev flew through Hexxus’ smoky body and screeched to a halt on the other side.  Hexxus swung his arm and batted Rev aside.  Danger Duck pressed a button on his costume.  “Mayday!  Mayday!  Ace!  Tech!  Anybody!  We’ve got a problem in park!  And I would just like to say that it’s totally not my fault!  Send help!” 

The man in the hood pulled it down and ran into the clearing.  He knelt before being with hands held high.  “Oh, mighty Hexxus!  Hail, Hexxus!  I, your servant Randall, have waited for your return!”  Hexxus floated to the ground before Randall.  “You have been waiting for me?  I have been trapped inside that mass of timber for over 30 years!  What kept you?!” 

Randall nervously tugged on his cloak.  “Well, we didn’t know if you were fully powered yet.  But don’t worry!  Even though Acmetropolis has gone to greener energy to power it, I have several oil powered vehicles for you to feast on and use to cover this city in your divine darkness!”  Hexxus chuckled evilly.  “Now, that’s more like it, Randall.  This Acemetropolis will be the start of my beautiful, polluted kingdom!” 

“Don’t bet on it, doc!” 

Hexxus and Randall turned to see the Loonatics assembled in the clearing.  Tech and Lexi were in the air with their jetpacks, while Slam was helping Rev to his feet.  Ace stood with the Guardian Strike Sword at the ready and Duck by his side. 

“What’s this guy’s deal, Duck?” Ace asked. 

Rev pushed off Slam to get back to his feet and rush to Ace.  “Oh, Duck was complaining about guard duty and decide to throw one of his eggs at a tree.  Only the tree wasn’t just a tree because it exploded and…”  Duck clamped a hand over Rev’s beak.  “Will you shut up?!  Who cares where this guy came from?  He’s an evildoer, we’re superheroes.  Let’s get him!” 

“Take it easy, Duck,” said Ace, looking up at Tech.  “You getting any readings on ‘em, Tech?”  Tech glanced down at handheld scanner.  “There are brainwaves coming from him, but I’m detecting all kinds of acids and chemicals.  It’s like he’s made of pollution!” 

“Then how can we stop him?” asked Lexi. 

“We find a way,” Ace said determinedly.  “Tech, you and Rev get back to the tower.  See if you can whip up something to trap this guy.  We’ll keep him busy until you guys are ready.” 

Duck charged up two more ‘eggs’.  “Keep him busy?  Please!  We can take this guy!  Easy!” 

There was the roar of engines being revved up, and five bulldozers crashed into the clearing.  The bulldozers were outfitted with laser weapons and were wrapped in smoke as Hexxus seized control of them.  Hexxus’ laughter filled the air.  “Oh, this gonna be so much fun!  First, I’ll destroy you, then all of Acmetropolis!” 

“Easy huh?” muttered Ace to Duck. 

“Well….,” said Duck.  “How about you go first?” 

“Loonatics!” shouted Ace.  “Let’s get ‘im!” 

OK:

Hexxus has taken control of five bulldozers with lasers attached.  He can try to drain energy from any other source as the battle goes on. 

The Loonatics start with Ace, Duck, Lexi, and Slam.  Tech and Rev will be coming up with a weapon to contain Hexxus. 

Loonatics win by trapping or destroying Hexxus. 

Hexxus wins by defeating all 6 Loonatics. 

Game On! 

I think the great mark of any set-up is when I can visualize things being said by characters in their natural voice and not have it come off as something that is made up, but rather straight out of an episode script. Props to that. With that being said, I do think the Loonatics have this. There are too many of them and all of them have a weird level of competence where they do idiotic things, but still make do at the end of the day against every villain they come up against. Hexxus might be a hard hitter when he's not up against Looney Tunes level of slapstick powers, but against idiots that are quite frankly insanely durable, he'd be outmatched.

• Like 1

Another good set-up, broadway. Never watched Loonatics Unleashed (don't think I ever knew when the show aired, TBH; I assume it was on Kids WB?) or Ferngully, but the story here was interesting. 

As for the match, it looks like the Loonatics may have the smarts and the tools to defeat Hexxus, but if Danger Duck and Tech E. Coyote screw up close to as often as their Looney Tunes counterparts, this may be a close call.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.80 - leroypowell3
5.00 - Macklemore
4.60 - DSkillz
5.00 - Boratz

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
19.40 Total Combined Score
19.40 / 4 = 4.85 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
The Loonatics: 5
Hexxus: 1

• 2 weeks later...

THE BOTTOM LINE

Ace swung the Guardian Strike Sword and cut one of the bulldozers in two.  Slam growled as he crashed through another bulldozer and generated a whirlwind to dispatch two more.  Hexxus laughed as he grew larger and larger, sending a cloud of smoke to envelop the heroes.  “Oh, how violent of you!  But it makes precious little difference!  Your city will be mine!” 

“Hey!  Smog face!”  An ‘egg’ collided with the back of Hexxus’ head.  He whirled around to stare at Danger Duck as he generated another.  “Here’s egg in your eye!  Courtesy of the dynamic Danger Duck!”  The ‘egg’ struck Hexxus right in the face, but his features reformed as he chuckled and descended towards Duck.  Duck gulped as Hexxus pierced him with his gaze.  “Such a delightful cocktail of energy,” he hissed.  “Did you really think would do you any good?” 

“Well, it certainly held your attention!  Hit it, Lexi!”  Duck ‘quacked’ away as Lexi fired a brain blast at Hexxus.  He screamed and writhed in pain as his smokey form started to shrink away from Lexi.  “I’d surrender if I were you,” she smirked.  “I can do this all night!”  Hexxus’ face suddenly shifted from pain to a sneer.  “I was hoping you’d say that, my long eared friend.”  Hexxus’ body began to grow again as Lexi began to wince.  She held her held and dropped to a knee, moaning as the brain blast continued projecting from her into Hexxus. 

Ace looked up from the wreckage of the final bulldozer to see his threatened teammate.  “Lexi!”  His eyes began to glow and a blast of Ace’s laser vision struck Hexxus.  The brain blast faded away as Hexxus started to reform again.  Ace and Slam rushed to Lexi’s side.  “Lexi, you okay?”  Lexi massaged her temples and nodded.  “Just a massive headache.  It was like that thing was trying to drain my power.  I couldn’t stop the brain blast.”  Duck ‘quacked’ next to his teammates, two new ‘eggs’ at the ready.  “What are we waiting for?  We’ve got the Phantom Blot over there on the ropes!  I’ll go in with my eggs, then Ace then hit him with the laser vision and…” 

“No!”  Rev ran up to the group, followed in the air by Tech with his jetpack.  “Bad idea!  Really, really bad idea!  Almost as bad as the bad idea you had about blowing up the tree in the first place bad!” 

“Whoa, Rev!  Shift into neutral for a second!” said Ace.  He looked up at Tech.  “I really hope you guys got a plan here.”  Tech pulled out a device that resembled a souped-up vacuum cleaner.  “Hexxus is feeding on your energy, just like he fed on the dozers.” 

“Which means if you keep blasting him and blasting him, he’ll just get stronger and stronger and stronger!” finished Rev. 

“Swell,” moaned Duck.  “So, what are we supposed to do: let him wreck the city?  We can’t let him do that!  I’ve got my reputation to think of!” 

“Sorry to interrupt!”  The Loonatics stood at the ready as Hexxus had grown three times their size.  The moon was obscured behind his ever-shifting form.  “But if you furry do-gooders have any sense, you should just surrender.  And maybe then I’ll be persuaded to kill you in a manner that will decided less painful than what I had planned.”  Tech flew higher and took aim with his invention.  “How about we take a different approach?” 

Tech pulled the trigger and a flow of air started into the invention.  Hexxus cackled as the Loonatics held onto the ground and each other to keep from being carried away.  Gradually, Hexxus stopped laughing.  His smoke and fog was being pulled into the device.  He tried to pull free but he was caught in it’s pull.  Within seconds every trace of Hexxus’ body was absorbed into Tech’s invention. 

“MASTER HEXXUS!”  Randall ran out from behind a tree and ran towards the Loonatics.  “How dare you?!” he screamed at them.  “Don’t you know what you done?!”  Randall turned to see Slam right behind him.  Slam gave a deep chuckle, then delivered a punch that knocked Randall out. 

Ace walked over to Tech as he landed.  “Incidentally, doc, what exactly did we do?”  Tech held up the weapon, which had two small cannisters at the end.  “Despite it’s violent appearance,” he explained.  “This device is actually a reinforced air purifier.  Hexxus’ ‘body’ gets trapped in this cannister, while his conscious gets saved as a memory file in this one.”  Ace nodded in approval.  “Nice, Tech!  So, now we can dispose of the pollution, and leave ol’ Hexxy’s winning personality for Zadavia.  I’m sure she knows a good place to put our pal where he won’t cause anymore trouble.”  Duck sighed and flexed his muscles.  “All in a days work for daring, handsome, and modest heroes.”  Ace grinned and put and arm around Duck’s shoulder.  “Oh, yeah.  And speaking of work.  We are still going to need to have somebody repair the damage to the park.  Clear out the debris, plant some new trees, mow the grass.  I’m sure you’d be up for it.  Right, Duck?”  Duck looked at the park, then glared at Ace in disgust.  “You are despicable.”  

LOONATICS REHAB: SESSION #1: SUCCESS. 

CASE #3 CONTINUES.   

• Like 1