MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Match 17984 Hitomi vs. Ken Masters

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART 173

Eliohitomi.jpg.b3d14cae110d35974ea3453ecc4ff84b.jpg

During their helicopter ride to the Kanzuki Estate in Japan, (REF: GEN VS. ASH CRIMSON) Eliot sat pensively next to Hitomi. He had known her for years now, but she still made him nervous. He tried to think of a conversation starter, and the only thing that came to mind was current events.

“Did you stay away from the infected fighters like they asked us to do?” Eliot finally blurted out.

“I did when that nice woman, Sophitia, explained the situation, but I can’t lie, before that I spent a lot of time by Paul Phoenix’s bedside,” Hitomi admitted. “I felt really bad for him. (REF: HITOMI VS. PAUL PHOENIX). I feel really bad about the brainwashed girl too (REF: HITOMI VS. KASUMI TODOH), but I felt more responsibility for Paul's condition. ”

“I know what you mean,” Eliot stated. “I spent a lot of time close to that girl, Josie. I had to reach down deep to put her down (REF: ELIOT VS. JOSIE RIZAL), but I felt really awful afterwards. It was really important for me that I didn’t hurt her too badly. After talking to Sogetsu I felt even worse. I wanted to be by her side to help her recover in any way I could.”

Hitomi smiled. “That’s so sweet. I will say that I still did still sneak in a couple of times to see Paul just to check in on him.”

“I guess that makes us both rule breakers.” Eliot’s tone then turned from jovial to concerned. “I hope neither of us put ourselves in jeopardy with that much exposure.”

Hitomi was confident in her reply. “They said that a lot of Soul Edge’s power is driven by anger, rage, and hate, right? Well, I am a generally positive person that doesn’t get angered too easily and you are one of the kindest fighters I have ever come across. I feel like if any two people will survive extended exposure to the shards unaffected, it will be us.”

Eliot found comfort in Hitomi’s words and exhaled a sigh of relief.

“I wouldn’t worry about it too much,” Hitomi declared. “If we were going to be changed into rage monsters, I think it would have happened by now.”

“I guess you’re right,” agreed Elitot. “Should probably focus on something else.”

“Do you know any of the fighters we are about to see or are you excited to meet any of them?” asked Hitomi.

Eliot thought it over. “Well…. Even my master has heard of Ryu so I guess it will be pretty exciting to meet him. And I think someone told me a few stories about Kyo Kusanagi, and he seems like a cool guy."

“Kyo. I’ve seen a picture of him. He's cute,” Hitomi noted. “The fighter I’m most psyched to meet is Ken Masters. You know he’s the United States Martial Arts champion. I’ve watched some of his fights on tv, he is really good. Although he throws fireballs which feels like cheating.”

“Do you think you could beat him one on one?” Eliot questioned.

Hitomi shrugged and then smiled. “I don’t know, but I would love to try. Maybe I can convince him to do an exhibition match when this is all over.”

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kenkolin1.jpg.025ed62c8c5ce490d45f32e0a75c0b20.jpg

Ryu and Ken stood in the back court area of the Kanzuki estate trading stories (REF: K' vs. KEN MASTERS) when they were joined by Kyo.

“How is Athena?” Ryu asked.

“That little ninja girl did quite a number on her,” Kyo answered honestly. (REF: IBUKI VS. ATHENA ASAMIYA) “I thought the biggest damage from that squabble was going to be Karin’s family piano (REF: SHIKI VS. KAGE-MARU), but Athena is going to be out of action for a bit.”

“Do you think it could be some collective wear and tear from your other battles?” Ryu inquired. (REF: ATHENA ASAMIYA VS. CHAI XIANGHUA)

“Yeah, We’ve been through a lot and I’m still worried about Benimaru. Have either of you seen or heard from Maki? she should have been here by now.” (REF: DHALSIM VS. RYUJI YAMAZAKI)

Both Ryu and Ken shook their heads no. (REF: MAKI GENRYUSAI VS. MAI SHIRANUI)

Just then, the trio of fighters were joined in the back of the estate by Karin Kanzuki, who was followed by Hitomi and Eliot.

“I’ve got a couple of pieces of good news, gentlemen,” Karin announced.  “First, Kolin was spotted at a train station not too far from here. If we hurry, I believe we can catch her. Second, to help us with that and establish a stronger link to Helena and her team we have two guests, Eliot and Hitomi.”

Karin presented the two Dead or Alive veterans and Kyo, Ken, and Ryu all shook their hands.

“Ok, who wants to go talk to Kolin? I have a corvette waiting for whomever steps up to the plate,” stated Karin.

Ken volunteered himself. “I am the reason she’s still not here, so it should be me.” (REF: KEN MASTERS VS. IORI YAGAMI) He turned to Ryu. “Want to tag along?”

“Not really,” Ryu answered honestly.

“Fine, have it your way, enjoy babysitting here while I’m gone. You know that once Honoka finds out how badly Athena is hurt, it's going to be up to you to keep her from fighting Ibuki and destroying more of this house,” Ken foretold.

Ryu frowned and folded his arms.

Hitomi raised her hand. “I’ll go.”

Ken smiled. “Fantastic, let’s get going.”

On the road and on their way to the train station, Ken chatted up Hitomi.

“So, Hitomi, tell me a little about yourself. I take it you are a fighter if you were with Helena and she sent you to help us.”

“That’s right,” Hitomi confirmed. “I have participated in the last four Dead or Alive tournaments.”

“Oh, so you fight in the tournaments that Helena’s company runs,” Ken observed.

“Yes. I haven’t won yet, but I did reach the finals in the fifth tournament, so it is only a matter of time,” Hitomi reasoned.

Ken furrowed his eyebrow. “Wait a minute isn’t that the fighting tournament where that guy tricks all the female fighters into going onto his private island to run around in swimsuits?”

Hitomi was aghast. “Zack doesn’t trick people, not that I know of. He has simply invited some of us he that has befriended over the years to hang out at his resort a few times for vacation. I never took it as anything other than a friendly gesture.”

Ken took one hand off the steering wheel and rubbed his chin. “Hmmm, I don’t know, it always seemed a little sleazy to me when I heard about it.”

“You shouldn’t always believe what you hear,” Hitomi insisted.

“That’s fair. You are probably right. Most of what I have heard about that tournament and the people who participate in it is fairly derogatory. It made me never want to check it out.”

Hitomi was disheartened to hear Ken speak about a tournament she held dear to her heart in such a way. She even felt disrespected. Hitomi pondered if this was how Paul felt right before the Soul Edge shards consumed him.

Ken pointed to the left. “We’re here. Train station is right over there.”

Inside the train station, Ken spotted Kolin almost instantly and ran up to her.

“Hey Kolin!” 

Kolin fired an ice projectile at Ken and tried to run the other way. Hitomi stood in her path in a fighting position.

“Os!”

“Listen, we didn't come here to attack you,” Ken clarified. “We came because we need your help.”

Kolin was confused. “Before you didn’t want anything to do with me, and hours later you are asking for my help?”

“Yeah, well, we received some crucial information recently. Namely, that Urien’s name has been linked to setting in motion all of these events that are connected to the legendary Soul Edge sword,” Ken explained.

Kolin’s heart sank inside as her suspicions were finally confirmed out loud, but she didn’t want to give Ken the satisfaction of seeing her reaction. She attempted to feign indifference. 

“Don’t try to grasp at things far beyond your understanding,” she quipped.

Ken saw right through her facade.

“You didn’t know, did you?” he asked.

Kolin rolled her eyes. “No. I was starting to piece it together though.”

“So you are not actively helping him with his plans?” Ken inquired.

“My only recent interaction with Urien was when he asked me to keep tabs on Iori Yagami, that was it,” Kolin replied. (REF: IORI YAGAMI VS. CHARLIE NASH)

“Why would he want to do that?” Ken wondered.

“I am not sure. My best guess is to keep one of the Sacred Treasures occupied so that Orochi can be reborn. It is Iori’s main purpose and destiny to keep the demon sealed,” Kolin explained.

“I don’t know if we can trust her,” Hitomi commented. “You said she works with this guy, right?”

“Be quiet, girl, this doesn’t concern you,” snapped Kolin. “My loyalty is to Gill, not his brother.”

“It is okay, Hitomi. No one is less trustful of her than me, but we should hear her out,” Ken reassured.

“The ones who brought Orochi back last time have recently returned and Urien showed great interest in them,” continued Kolin.  (REF: SARAH BRYANT VS. MATURE) “If his goal was the return of Orochi it may tie into the rise of Soul Edge. I don’t have enough information on how the two things would tie together, but both mean plunging the world into chaos. I know that is not part of Gill’s plan. However, I have not been able to get a hold of Gill, (REF: SIEGFRIED VS. GILL) and that makes me believe Urien’s plan may be further along than we realize.”

“Are you sure about this, Ken? We came here to find out about Soul Edge and she could be trying to distract us with this whole other story,” Hitomi suggested.

Kolin glared at the German martial artist. “Shut your mouth, karate barbie, you're not helping!”

Hitomi gasped.

The resentment from losing a fight to Dead or Alive alumni, Honoka, (REF: KOLIN VS. HONOKA) and subsequently being abandoned by Iori bubbled up inside Kolin and she verbally unleashed on Hitomi. “I know who you are and I know where you’re from. The Secret Society is well aware of the Dead or Alive participants, we have just not made our presence known in your little world because it has not been deemed all that important, save for a source of some light amusement from time to time. Not a single one of you has displayed the kind of potential that would interest anyone with real power, except for the Mugen Tenshin clan. Ken and his friends on the other hand, irritating as they are, have shown that numerous times. I want to find out what happened to my leader, so as much as I don’t want to, I will work with them. You are not necessary to the equation, so why don’t you leave the serious talk to us and go play some beach volleyball!”

Ken worked hard to stifle a chuckle at Kolin’s dig. However, Hitomi was not amused. She didn’t even feel it happening when out of nowhere she was blitzed by rage. She savagely beat an unexpecting Kolin unconscious before Ken could even react.

“I show you power and potential!” she screamed.

“Hitomi! What are you doing?” Ken demanded.

Hitomi’s eyes darted over to Ken. They were glowing the dull orange glow of Soul Edge. Ken was confused at first by the sudden change in her demeanor, but then the reality of the situation struck him as he remembered Guile’s stories about the Soul Edge malfested aboard the cruise liner.

“I will beat respect into both of you!” Hitomi exclaimed.

On 2/2/2022 at 11:57 PM, Pizzaguy2995 said:

As much as it hurts me to go against Hitomi, I just think she’s out of her league against Ken. The guy is a legit rival to Ryu even in his Dark Ryu form and has had much better showings and feats in canon then Hitomi. Ken wins this 9/10 times.

Although it's not canon to anything obviously, I always appreciated Hitomi's showing in Dead Fantasy against Tifa. Even if I was a little suspect on the conclusion lol.

Another good set-up, Johnny, if a little lighter on progressing the arc's story than some of the other matches. One has to wonder who managed to get Hitomi under the Soul Edge's influence, though.

As for the match, while Hitomi seems pretty skilled for her age, I, too, think Ken's gonna be too much for her. 

20 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Another good set-up, Johnny, if a little lighter on progressing the arc's story than some of the other matches. One has to wonder who managed to get Hitomi under the Soul Edge's influence, though.

The implication is that overexposure to Paul cause her to get infected. As you alluded to in the Guile v. King match, there are still a lot of twists and turns. Mostly because there are few antagonists who haven't already lost lol. 

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.70 - Pizzaguy2995
4.40 - DSkillz
4.70 - leroypowell3

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
18.80 Total Combined Score
18.80 / 4 = 4.70 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Hitomi: 1