Lori Quaid: 3

Rumble 20533 Demoman vs. Ogra
MATCH SCORE
Demoman: 0
Ogra: 3

Night Shift Chapter 9 Match 17959 Shroud vs. Nekra

broadwaybeyonder

Chapter 9: Strange Things Did Happen Here

On a rooftop of a three story building in L.A., Nekra looked out over the urban scene before her.  She gently stroked the head of Mandril, who sat hunched over in front of her like a loyal dog, growling softly.  Ushas and Shaya stood at attention behind her brandishing their weapons. 

The rooftop slowly began to be covered in darkness, and Nekra smiled as Shroud emerged from the shadows.  “Brother Max.  I’m sorry to interrupt your meditations, but I did hope you wouldn’t us paying a visit.”  Shroud’s face was tight with restrained rage.  “My name,” he intoned.  “Is Shroud.”  Nekra nodded, and motioned to her entourage.  “As you wish, Brother.  You do remember Sister Shaya and Sister Ushas?”  She finished by patting Mandril’s back.  “And of course Brother Jerome.”  Shroud stayed where he was, and turned to face where Mandril snarled at him.  “Hello again, Brother Jerome.  Has Sister Nekra gotten you house broken yet?”  Mandril attempted to lunge forward but Nekra tightened her grip around the nape of his neck.  “There, there, Brother Jerome.  Patience.”  She looked back at Shroud with a smirk.  “It is the will of Kali that our prodigal brother be allowed to wander for a little while longer.” 

“Why have you brought your damned cult to my city?” Shroud demanded.  “We come to bring the blessing of Kali to the people,” Nekra proclaimed.  “And prepare the way for her return.  Kali has chosen this place as the site of the ultimate transcendence.”  Shroud took a step towards them.  “Your goddess has decided to return to the mortal plane in L.A.?” 

“Where better than Kali-fornia?” Nekra chuckled.  Ushas and Shaya snickered as well, even Mandril growled in appreciation.  Shroud simply stood motionless, glaring with sightless eyes.  Nekra sighed.  “As stolid as ever, Brother Max.  But the point still stands.  Kali believes this city will be more than fitting.  Given that so many of her children are present.  Kali thanks you for that.”  Shroud’s hands folded into fists.  “I chose to bring my agents here to unite them under one cause.  To prevent the ‘blessings’ your blasted goddess from creating the chaos she wanted.” 

“And yet you’ve created chaos in spite of yourself, Brother,” said Ushas.  “So many criminals have been killed, so much destruction.” 

“Kali accepts the offerings of all her children,” Shaya chimed in.  “Even those that have strayed from her embrace.”  Shroud turned back to Nekra.  “I will not let you or your followers destroy my city.  It is under my protection.” 

“And how do you propose to protect it, Brother?” Nekra asked mockingly.  “With that band of monsters and murderers?”  She paused then allowed her smile to grow.  “Or perhaps with the traitorous Sister Dansen?”  Shroud flinched, and Nekra went on.  “Oh yes.  We know you have her here.  Sister Shaya and Sister Ushas have been arguing over who will get to rip out her heart.”  Shroud rushed toward Nekra.  Ushas and Shaya held their flail and nunchakus at the ready.  Shroud stopped in front of Nekra, who stared unblinking at his masked face.  “But, then, she did give it to you all those years ago.  Didn’t she?” 

“You will not hurt her, or any member of my team,” Shroud hissed.  “They are not pawns in Kali’s game.  And if you try to bring her here, I will kill you myself.”  Nekra’s eyes narrowed to slits.  “Oh, Brother Max.  You seem to have forgotten so much of Kali’s teachings.  Perhaps I can jog your memory.” 

Nekra delivered a back hand strike to Shroud that lifted off the ground and flying towards the edge of the roof.  Shroud tumbled through the air and landed on his feet, screeching to a halt.  He looked toward Nekra, who was casting aside her robes to reveal a black version of Dansen’s unitard.  Her muscles began to bulge, her teeth grew longer and pointed, and the calm expression on her face was replaced with a look of pure rage. 

OK:

Ushas, Shaya, and Mandril cannot interfere.  One on one, full strength, full power.  Last person standing wins. 

Game On! 

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

Shroud blocked the initial slash of Nekra’s talons.  He projected a cloud of darkness that blocked her version and jumped forward with a kick.  Nekra dropped back, snarled and pounced on top of shroud.  Her talons tore into his face and chest.  Her strikes devolved into throwing hammer blows to his head as she shrieked.  Shroud had forgotten how strong Nekra could become.  The constant barrage of strikes grew too much for him, and his struggles to free himself weakened. 

Nekra stopped suddenly, hand upraised and breathing heavily.  She got off of the dazed Shroud, transforming back to her normal form as she did.  She smiled down on her former pupil.  “Thank you for that workout, Brother Max.  Do you still think it is wise to stand against the will of Kali?”  Shroud’s only response was to spit out some blood.  “Still stubborn, are we?  Very well.    I had hoped you would see reason, but you have left me no choice.  Sister Shaya?  Sister Ushas?” 

The two women brandished their weapons and drew toward Shroud.  Ushas nunchaku started glowing dangerously.  “Accept the final gift of Kali, traitor,” she snarled. 

Suddenly, multiple strands of Ushas and Shaya’s robes came undone.  They extended from their outfits, tied together and yanked the two acolytes into each other.  Nekra looked to the sky to see Moth, wings outstretched.  “Sorry, ladies.  The Bollywood movie is filming down the street.” 

Dansen Macabre seemingly appeared out of nowhere and delivered a flying kick to the face of Nekra.  Nekra started to develop her monstrous features as she glared at Dansen.  “Sister.  You would use your blessing against the voice of Kali?”  Dansen took a position in front of Shroud.  “You are not my sister, Nekra.  None of you are!”  Shaya used the blade of her flail to cut through the threads that tied her to Ushas.  She brought her arm back to throw the flail at Dansen only to feel it be pulled back behind her.  She turned to see Digger, who had caught the flail around his shovel.  “Give that back!” she screeched. 

“No, no, no,” Digger said.  “That’s not what you’re supposed to say, ghoul-friend.  With a weapon like this, you’re supposed to say, ‘GET OVER HERE!’”  With a strong tug, Digger sent Shaya flying past him until she collided with a wall.  Ushas cracked the nunchaku and sent a blast of light towards Dansen who nimbly dodged it.  She delivered a strike to Ushas’ throat and twisted her arm behind her back.  A shove sent her colliding into the onrushing Mandril.  Dansen stood ready before Nekra.  “You will never take me back!  I would rather die than serve your cause again!  Face me now and let us finish this!”  Nekra monstrous features started to show themselves, then began to fade again.  She gave a forced smile at the Night Shift.  “Although I wish it were so, Sister Dansen, Kali has decreed that your time is not now.  For the moment, we shall take our leave.  Brother Jonathan?” 

Multiple portals appeared around the roof.  A fist flew out of one portal to hit Dansen in the back of the head before disappearing back inside.  Another pair of hands appeared from a portal behind Digger, tripping him up and landing with a crash on the roof.  “What the heck’s that?!” Digger shouted.  A leg shot out of a portal in the air to deliver a kick to Moth.  With the air knocked out of her she was sent hurtling towards the roof, her wings flapping uselessly.  Digger jumped to his feet and leapt into the air to catch her, only for another portal to appear beneath them.  They fell through that portal and were sent flying out of another that was projected on an AC unit.  Their momentum nearly sent them off the edge of the roof.  

The portals all started vanishing and Dr. Jonathon Ohn rose out of a portal behind Nekra.  He beamed at her, looking very pleased with himself.  “Did you see that?  I really did it!  I must say I’m getting the hang of this portal business, Sister Nekra!  I did do well?  Didn’t I?” 

“Yes, Brother Jonathan,” Nekra said, her voice betraying her impatience.  “Now, we must return to the temple.  Create the portal.  Brother Jerome, Sister Shaya, Sister Ushas.  Let us go.” 

“But, Sister!” Ushas whined.  “We want to kill them now!”  Ushas fell silent under Nekra’s glare.  “Kali will decide when we punish her prodigal children.  Not us.  Brother Jonathan?  The portal.  Now!”  Ohn closed his eyes, and raised his hands.  An enormous portal opened up behind the Kali cultists.  Ushas and Shaya led Mandril in, and Jonathan followed.  Nekra turned back to sneer at Shroud and Dansen, who were struggling back to their feet.  “Kali’s blessings upon you… Brother Shroud.”  She turned back to the portal, and Dansen took off running after her.  “No!   You won’t deny me!”  Moth pushed away Digger and took flight after Dansen.  “I’m in!  I’m not done with these creeps!” 

“Moth!” Shroud yelled.  “Dansen!  Wait!  Don’t!”  But the two women had leapt into the portal, and in an instant the portal disappeared, leaving Digger and Shroud alone on the roof. 

Next Time: Victims of the Night!