MATCH SCORE
Bazooka: 0
Steve (Minecraft): 2
Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Agent Carter S03E10 Match 17954 Peggy Carter vs. Daredevil (Golden Age)

broadwaybeyonder

Episode 10: Why Don’t You Do Right?

August 6th, 1946.  New York City, New York.  The mansion of Howard Stark.  

A chill came over Peggy as she held the phone to her lips.  “Fred?  Where are you now?” 

“I’m staying at a hotel in New York.  While I was here I overheard some rather disagreeable chaps talking in the hall.  I could only make out bits and pieces, but I heard one of them mention something that sounded like ‘Maggia’.  Isn’t that the group of criminals in the papers?”  Peggy looked nervously around the room, as Jarvis and Angie looked on worried.  “Did those men see you?” 

“I didn’t think they did.  But ever since then I’ve had the strangest feeling someone’s been following me.  That’s when I remembered that you had accepted the post with the SSR.  I have a feeling they will want to know what I know.  It sounded like the Maggia were planning an all out offensive to find these masked characters they’ve been talking about on the radio.”  Peggy cleared her throat to steady herself.  “Well, then.  If you want my advice you need to get yourself to the SSR headquarters at…”  Fred’s voice cut her off.  “No, Peggy.  I don’t want to be seen going into that office.  I will turn myself over to you.  Please meet me at the Bethesda Fountain tonight at 9.  Then I will explain what I know.  I need to dash.  Would love to chat some more, darling, but you know how it is.  Until tonight.”  With a click of a receiver, Fred was gone. 

Peggy slowly hung up the phone.  “Miss Carter?” Jarvis asked concerned.  “What was all that about?” 

“Yeah, English,” chimed in Angie.  “Who’s the guy?”  Before Peggy could reply, the door of the mansion opened and Daniel Sousa and Howard Stark rushed in.  “Jarvis!” Howard barked.  “Did you forget how to answer a phone?!”  Jarvis rushed to his side.  “Mr. Stark!  I’m sorry, sir.  I wasn’t aware that you called.” 

“We rang this place yesterday afternoon and we got no answer,” explained Daniel.  Angie gave side eye glance to the still ruined living room.  “Um, we were a little bit busy.”  Daniel turned a saw the still shaken Peggy.  “Peg?  What’s going on?  What happened?” 

“And more importantly,” said Howard, with a dropped jaw examining the damage.  “What have you done to my living room?” 

Manhattan, New York.  The laboratory of Doctor Jonas Harrow. 

Bob Frank regained unconscious to find himself in a nightmare.  Leather straps around his neck, chest, wrist, waist, and ankles held him in place on a gurney.  His breathing quickened as he looked around the dimly lit room.  He could hear the screeching of unknown animals coming from a shelf lined with cages.  “Maddie!” he yelled into the dark.  “MADDIE!”  A screen was pushed aside and Dr. Harrow shuffled into the room.  “You!  You there!” Bob shouted.  “Where’s my wife?”  Harrow continued pulled an IV closer to the gurney.  “Oh, your wife is just fine, Mr. Frank,” he leered.  “She is truly a special woman.  A perfect specimen.”  Bob pulled on his restraints, but they didn’t budge.  “If you’ve hurt her, I swear to God I’ll…”  He groaned in pain as Harrow inserted the needle into his arm.  “Such spirit!  Yes, you will be an excellent subject.”  He walked past the rows of cages, and opened one.  He stabbed a hypodermic needle into the creature inside and it snarled in response.  Harrow quickly drew back and shut the cage.  He walked back to the IV, as Bob’s struggles weakened.  “The count says that I am free to conduct an experiment on you,” he said as he inserted the blood from the hypodermic into the drip.  “I gave him strength with my first two subjects.  With you, he shall have speed.  And if it doesn’t work… well, I guess I’ll just have to ask for a new subject.”  Bob Frank had already fallen back into unconsciousness.  

New York City, New York.  Central Park. 

Peggy slowly paced around Bethesda Fountain.  None of her allies was particularly comfortable with her meeting with Fred Wells, and neither was she.  It had been years since she had broken off their engagement, shortly after she had received word of Michael’s death.  And now, he calls out of the blue about Maggia?  All too coincidental. 

“Can you hear me alright, Howard?” Peggy said.  Her words were picked up by the microphone in the necklace she wore, and were transmitted to the moving van where Howard, Daniel, and Jarvis listened 50 feet away.  “Loud and clear, Peggy.  Told you this thing works like a charm!”  Daniel gave a suspicious look.  “Do I really want to know why you put a radio transmitter in a woman’s necklace?” 

“Just a precaution.  When I was seeing Helen Forrest.” 

“Actually, it was Georgia Gibbs, sir,” chimed in Jarvis from the driver’s seat.  Howard looked perplexed.  “Did I?  I could of sworn I gave her the negligee with the mic hidden in the…” 

“Gentlemen?” The three men turned to face the monitor in response to Peggy’s voice.  “This is a thrilling discussion, but could it wait until after our business is done here?  I think I see Fred.  Listen carefully, and be ready to assist on my word.” 

“Don’t worry, Peggy,” Daniel said.  “Just be careful.  Fennhoff may have gotten to Wells to try to target you.  First sign of trouble you call us in.” 

“Understood, Daniel.  I mean, uh, Chief.”  Daniel turned embarrassed to look at a bemused Howard.  “Glad to see I’ve been a good influence on you.” 

Fred Wells briskly walked towards Peggy.  He opened his arms wide to give her a hug.  “Peg, darling.  It’s been too long.”  Peggy held him at arms length.  “We don’t have time for this, Fred.  I need to know what the Maggia are up to.  Too many people are in danger.”  Fred smiled and shook his head.  “Look at you, straight to the point.  You haven’t seen me in over 5 years, and this is the welcome I get?” 

“This isn’t a game, Fred,” Peggy said irritated.  “What do you know about the Maggia?”  Fred rolled his eyes and sighed.  “You were so much more calm and reserved when we were engaged.  So unlike your brother.”  Peggy grabbed Fred by the wrist and pulled him in close.  She glared at him, barely keeping her voice level.  “Leave Michael out of this!” 

“Oh, Peg, I’d love to, but I can’t.  You see, he was the reason we got together.  What better way for me to observe a man, than by proposing to his sister?”  Peggy let go of Fred and stepped back in shock.  “What are you talking about?”  Fred adjusted his coat and gave a satisfied smirk.  “Really, darling, your time with the SSR hasn’t improved your skills of deduction as much as I thought.  Did you really never think once why I was so willing to give you up after you broke off the engagement?” 

“I... I thought you understood.  That I couldn’t just sit behind the lines.  That I had to fight, for our country, to honor Michael’s memory.”  Fred chuckled and walked around Peggy to the fountain.  “Oh yes, that delightful scene.  But what you chose to do with your life in the SSR really meant precious little difference to me.  I already got what I wanted.”  Peggy’s blood ran cold as she answered.  “What did you want?”  Fred turned back to face Peggy.  “Why, your brother, of course.  Would you like to meet him?” 

Daredevil leapt off of the terrace and dived towards Peggy, delivering a strike with his boomerang.  Peggy fell back, clutching the side of her head, feeling blood.  She gazed up as Daredevil stood next to Fred Wells.  “Isn’t this a charming family reunion?  Daredevil, would you kindly kill her, please?” 

Back in the van, Daniel spun to face Jarvis.  “Peggy’s in trouble!  Drive!  Quickly!”  Suddenly there was a loud thud as the indentation of a pair of footprints crashed into the roof of the car.  “What the devil?” Howard shouted.  “Um, sir?” Jarvis whispered.   Howard and Daniel looked out the windscreen just in time to see Hammerhead charged toward them and slam headfirst into the front the van, tearing through metal. 

Daredevil drew nearer to Peggy, who struggled to her feet.  “I was sure you would be impressed, dear,” Fred called to her.  “We knew your brother’s record made him perfect for us.  He just needed a little… coaching to make him the man he was meant to be.”  Daredevil held the boomerang in one hand and one of his spikes in the other.  Peggy was breathing heavily, but she readied herself.  “I don’t know who you are, or what your game is.   But if you are my brother, after I’m done with you, I’m going to kill the man who did this to you!”  Daredevil hurled the boomerang and Peggy charged ahead. 

Who will win this battle of a family reunion? 

Stay Tuned and Find Out! 

Game On!

On 1/23/2022 at 12:18 AM, broadwaybeyonder said:

Paging Jessica Rabbit.

Peggy probably wouldn't win in close quarters combat, but with her revolver I think she can pull it off. Of course, this may just be my Peggy Carter bias speaking lol. Another great pull of a character from the era, Broadwaybeyonder.

• Like 1

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

Hammerhead yanked the door off the van and pulled Jarvis out as Kangaroo flipped off the roof.  The back door of the van was kicked open by Howard as Daniel pulled out his gun.  He opened fire, but Kangaroo easily leapt to one side to dodge the shot.  Howard reached for the ‘zapper’ in his suit pocket, but the brute was already on them.  “You ain’t goin’ anywhere!” he growled as he grabbed the ‘zapper’ and crushed it in his fist.  Daniel swung his crutch and Kangaroo caught it with ease. 

“Mr. Stark!  Agent Sousa!” Jarvis yelled, as Hammerhead shoved him into the van.  “A little help would be appreciated, gentlemen!”  Hammerhead started to charge forward, only for Black Terror to drop down in front of him.  Black Terror delivered a blow to the body that lifted Hammerhead off the ground.  He crumpled to the ground groaning in pain.  Black Terror turned to check on a bewildered Jarvis.  “I thought you were staying at the mansion with Miss Martinelli.”  Black Terror offered a hand to help Jarvis up.  “Would you prefer that I didn’t show up?”  Jarvis grudgingly nodded.  “Point taken.” 

Daniel was sprawling out of the van as Kangaroo jerked back on the crutch.  He tossed Howard back into the van and leapt out to stand over Daniel.  Suddenly, Miss Masque sprang into view with a flying kick to Kangaroo.  Kangaroo grunted as he hit the van back first, then again when Masque delivered a spinning kick to his head.  Masque retrieved the crutch and handed it Daniel.  “Didn’t think me and Benton were just going to sit at home while you people risked your necks, did you?”  Daniel grabbed the crutch and moved to his feet.  “Peggy’s in trouble.  Get in the van!  We need to move now!”  Masque nodded and helped Daniel into the back as Howard started to rise to his seat nursing his head.  “I’m alright too. Thanks for asking.” 

Peggy dropped down to dodge the boomerang as it whizzed over head.  She got to her feet just in time to leap out of the way of Daredevil as he swung the spike at her.  She threw a kick, only for Daredevil to block the strike and catch her by the ankle.  With ease he pushed off and sent her sprawling to her back, her head cracking against stone tiles.  She crawled toward the fountain as the boomerang returned to Daredevil’s waiting hands.  He slowly walked toward her as Fred looked on arrogantly.  “It is a shame to see siblings quarrel.  But don’t worry, Peg darling.  It will all be over soon.”  Daredevil reached Peggy, dazed as she leaned over the edge of the fountain.  He raised the spike high to strike her in the back. 

Peggy instinctively rolled to the right, avoiding the spike as it clanged against the stone.  She pushed off the fountain and delivered a right cross to Daredevil’s jaw.  The masked assassin was shaken for a second, and Peggy capitalized.  With a cry of rage, she grabbed Daredevil by the head, and slammed him face first onto the edge of the fountain.  Peggy slammed him again and again, her grip so tight on the mask that when she pulled away she yanked the mask off with her.  She reached into a pocket and drew her revolver and pointed it at the stunned assassin.  Daredevil rose and turned toward Peggy, revealing his unmasked face to her. 

It was the face of a man with unkempt, brown hair.  His face was taut with controlled fury and marked with old scars.  In particular was the scar across his throat.  But despite all of this, Peggy finally knew the truth.  She stood facing Daredevil, gun raised, but now the shock registering on her face.  “Michael?” she said barely audible.  “Michael?  What have they done?” 

“Now, now, Peg darling,” Fred said.  “There is no need for tears.  There’s something rather prodigal about this.  You know, the son you thought was dead is alive and all that.”  Daredevil slowly moved toward Peggy, who tried her best to keep her gun hand steady.  “Stay back!  Don’t come any closer or I’ll shoot!” 

“He isn’t really your brother anymore, I suppose,” Fred went on as Daredevil drew closer.  “Under the watchful eye of Dr. Benton and the best mental conditioning money can buy, he is now a fully functioning weapon.  A super soldier that I’d say would give your Captain America a run for his money.” 

“Please, Michael,” Peggy begged, steadying her grip on the revolver.  “Don’t make me do this!” 

“He’s not going to stop, Peggy,” Fred sneered.  “Your brother is mine now.  He has his orders.  And the only way he will stop is if you pull that trigger now.”  Peggy stood frozen, a tear running down her cheek as she stared at the man that was Michael Carter.  Fred sighed.  “I always knew you didn’t really have the stomach for this kind of work.  Daredevil.  Finish this.”  Daredevil threw his boomerang.  Peggy dropped to her knees and fired. 

Daredevil fell to the ground.  Peggy stared in horror at the prone body of her brother, then rushed to his side.  “Michael!  Oh God!  Michael!  I’m sorry!” Peggy wept.  She checked his chest and found the bullet hole, but could see no blood.  In confusion she turned to look to Daredevil’s face, just in time to see his eyes fly open and to feel the shock of a spike stabbed into her gut. 

Peggy cried out in pain.  Fred applauded as Daredevil rose to his feet and Peggy gasped for breath on her knees, blood staining her dress.  “Bravo, Daredevil.  Now, take that spike and slit her throat.”  Daredevil grabbed Peggy by the hair.  Peggy looked up at him in terror.  “Michael.  Don’t.”  The spike was raised high. 

A sudden crashing noise made Fred spin around.  The moving fan rumbled across the ground towards them.  Fred reached into his jacket for a pistol, only to scream in pain as a bullet from Miss Masque’s revolver hit him in the shoulder.  Daredevil looked back at the pained expression on Peggy’s face.  “Michael.  Michael, it’s Peggy.  Please.”  There was a flicker of recognition in Daredevil’s face, only to roughly shove her down to the stone tiles.  He grabbed the mask from Peggy’s hands, put it on, and took off running, leaping over the terrace and disappearing into the night. 

Miss Masque jumped off the side of the van and ran to where Fred had fallen.  She held her gun at the ready as she bent over him.  “He’s still alive.  Did everybody see that shot?  I really am getting good at this!”  Howard jumped out of the van and stared in shock at Peggy’s prone body.  Daniel hurried as fast as his leg could carry him as he rushed to Peggy’s side.  “Peggy!  Peggy, talk to me!  I’m here.”  Peggy grimaced in pain, pulling back her hand to show the blood.  “Don’t worry, it looks worse than it is.” 

“Howard!  Jarvis!  Help me get her to the van!”  Howard hurried over to Daniel and they gently lifted Peggy up between them.  Jarvis looked on by the driver’s side door.  Black Terror walked up to Miss Masque standing guard over Fred.  Fred smirked up at the heroes as he clutched his shoulder.  “Well, well.  Dr. Benton, and Miss Adams, as well.  It really is a reunion.”  Black Terror hoisted Fred Wells to his feet.  He glared at him as he gripped his lapels.  “How do you know who we are?  Who is the devil?  What have you people done to us?!”  Fred just gave a defiant grin through the pain.  Black Terror delivered a hard right hand to the jaw, knocking him out instantly.  He turned away and stormed back to the van as Peggy was loaded in the back.  “Bring him,” he barked at Miss Masque.  “He is the only person who can tell us what’s going on.” 

Next Time: Feudin’ and Fightin’!