Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Agent Carter S03E06 Match 17656 Miss America vs. Circus of Crime

broadwaybeyonder

Episode 6: She Floats Through the Air

August 3rd, 1946.  St. Louis, Missouri. 

The air was filled with the sound of calliope music as Madeline and Bob Frank made their way arm in arm down the busy midway.  They passed the booths holding carnival barkers hawking their wares as parents attempted to guide their children through the crowd.  Madeline adjusted her glasses as Bob pointed out the attractions.  “How about that?  How about I get you one a prize from that milk bottle game?  I can win a prize for you.”  Madeline shrugged.  “I don’t know, Bob.  I didn’t think it was going to be this crowded.  Maybe we should just head for the tent and sit down.” 

Bob shook his head and sighed.  “Maddie, what’s gotten into you?  You’ve been acting odd ever since breakfast.” 

“I’m sorry, Bob.  I’m glad you got us these tickets.  I just don’t feel so good.”  The couple had reached the sideshow, with a tall man and a short, bearded lady standing on a stage for the crowd to gawk at.  “Maybe your just anxious to open up that present,” said Bob, glancing at the stage to watch the two performers dance together.  “Why did you bring it with us?  You could have opened it up when we got back.” 

“No!” shouted Madeline, startling the people standing near them.  She blushed and lowered her voice.  “I mean, I couldn’t have left it there.  I need to keep it nearby.” 

“But why?” asked Bob.  “Do you have an idea who sent it?”  Before Madeline could reply, the dance finished, and the audience applauded.  The two performers bowed and a barker strode onto the stage, twirling his cane.  “Let’s hear it for ‘em, folks!  But stick around!  You ain’t seen nothin’ yet!  Because we got somethin’ for all of you gentlemen in the audience!  Come a little closer!” 

Bob winked at Madeline and walked with her closer to the stage.  “Well, this might be fun!  Wonder what it is.”  Madeline smiled and rolled her eyes.  “I’m sure they’ll tell us.” 

“Yessir, gents!” the barker continued.  “You’ll get a real thrill out of this!  And you ladies will be impressed, too!  15 years ago, a young Catholic school girl went on a cruise with her class across the Atlantic!  The ship was caught in a storm and she was thrown overboard!  She was battered and tossed by the waves but found herself on the shores of South America, on the edge of the Amazon!  For 13 years, she lived in complete exile from the eyes of men!  But she survived and thrived!  “How?” you may ask.  “How can a young girl exist in such a barbaric place on her own?”  Well, friends, she wasn’t alone!  She found a protector!  A creature that she could bend to her will, to protect her, to hunt for her, yes!  Even to kill for her!  And that girl, now the most fearsome and flawless female in creation, has been found and is here this very moment!  Ladies and gentlemen, I give you… Princess Python!” 

The barker yanked on a cord and a curtain lifted up to a gasp from the crowd, followed by several whistles.  On the stage was a beautiful woman with auburn hair.  She was dressed in a green leotard with tights painted to resemble scales.  And wrapped around her shoulders and torso, was a 10 foot long snake.  It bared it’s fangs and hissed at the crowd as Princess Python walked downstage closer to the audience. She extend her arms and allowed the snake to slither around her until it’s head rested in her hands.  Bob looked over at Madeline with a grin as Princess Python petted the snake.  “Well, gee whiz!  That’s something you don’t see everyday.  She must have eaten well in the Amazon.” 

“Oh, really, Bob!” Madeline chuckled.  “Don’t tell me you believe that story.  15 years in the jungle with nothing but a snake?” 

“It’s a very large snake.”  The snake hissed as it untied itself from around Princess Python and landed on the stage.  It darted toward the audience and snapped it jaws, causing the front row to jump back and cry out in alarm.  “Do not be afraid, my friends,” Princess Python said smoothly.  “Please, stay still and silent.   Precious?  Return to me, my dear.”  The snake turned back to face Python, watching her sway slowly back and forth.  Amazingly, the snake followed her movements.  Python stretched her right arm into the air and looked up to the sky, and the snake slithered toward her.  The crowd burst into applause as Precious circled around Princess Python, traveling up her body until resting it’s head back on her shoulder.  Bob was among those applauding.  “Did you see that?  I think she was looking at me!” 

“Yeah,” said Madeline as she turned him toward the main tent.  “And wondering if her snake could eat you in one gulp or two.  Let’s get to the tent, Bob.  The show’s about to start.”  Bob shrugged, and gave one last look to Princess Python before letting Madeline guide him.  “Whatever you say, birthday girl.”  Princess Python waved to the crowd still gathered at her booth, a dangerous look behind her smile.  “If you think this was something, you all better head for the big top!  It’s almost show time!”  She turned and headed offstage and was met by the barker.  Her pleasant demeanor dropped instantly.  “Bunch of yokels.  I bet we won’t even break even in this town.” 

“Take it easy, Zelda,” the barker said.  “The boss got a tip that the people around her have a lot of dough.  You just get to center ring with the rest of the crew.”  He reached for her arm, but Precious snapped at his hand.  He jerked it back in alarm.  Princess Python smiled sweetly.  “Be careful there!  Precious has been quite hungry lately.”  The barker glared at Python as she and Precious walked through the cast entrance to the main tent. 

Madeline and Bob made their way down the bleachers until they reached their seats.  The tent was buzzing with excitement.  Two acrobats flipped and somersaulted across the center ring, until one came to a stop, and his partner landed standing on his shoulders.  The two men waved and exited the ring as the crowd applauded.  That is when a man in a green coat covered in a stars and a purple hat entered the ring, encouraging the audience to applaud some more.  “The Great Gambonnos, ladies and gentlemen!  A thrilling display!  Let them know your appreciation!”  The crowd roared in approval.  The man held his hands high in benediction.  “Ladies and gentlemen, children of all ages!  We, of the Tiboldt Family Circus, are grateful beyond measure that you chose to join us this glorious day!  I am your humble ringmaster!  Are you ready for the show to commence?” 

“YES!” the crowd shouted, including Bob.  He didn’t notice Madeline taking off her glasses and massaging her temples.  She felt the strangest sensation.  Something wasn’t right.  And it was something about that ringmaster.  “Before we begin,” he went on.  “I must ask for your complete and utter attention!  Focus all your thoughts to the center ring!  This is a world all to itself!  Let yourself be made a part of it!  Absorbed in it!” The Ringmaster slowly started turning in a circle, directing his speech to every side of the tent.  And as he turned, Madeline noticed the crowd becoming quieter and quieter, until it had fallen dead silent.  The once excited crowd was now sitting in their seats with blank expressions on their faces.  What was it about that man?  Madeline looked at the Ringmaster again, and was drawn to the back of his hat.  Only now the hat seemed to blur.  It was as if she could see straight through it, to what was concealed underneath.  Positioned inside the hat, was a small mechanical device that look like a radio.  For reasons not even Madeline could explain, she knew that that device was doing something to the audience. 

She got out of her seat and ducked behind the colorful barricade in front of her.  “Maddie!  What are you doing?”  Madeline stayed down, looking into her purse.  “Bob, get down!  Don’t look at that hat!” 

“There you go again, Maddie!  Relax!  It’s all part of the shooooo…”  To Madeline’s horror, she looked up to see Bob gazing spellbound at the center ring, along with everyone else sitting with them.  A part of Madeline wanted to scream and run for help, but then she felt compelled to stay.  Someone needed to find out what was going on.  She slowly returned to her seat, and did her best to assume a similar blank look. 

The Ringmaster had finished his work, and not a sound came from the hypnotized audience.  He turned to the crowd of circus performers behind him.  “Alright, people!  You know the drill!  Get out there and get whatever you can lay your grubby hands on!”  Madeline fought hard not to blink as the performers swept up into the bleachers.  The moved throughout the crowd, emptying wallets and removing jewelry from unresponsive people.  Princess Python made her way down the row where Madeline and Bob were sitting, putting necklaces and rings in a satchel.  She unclasped Madeline’s own bracelet from her wrist, and looked at it unimpressed.  “Hmph.  Will surprised if we get 10 bucks for this.”  Madeline didn’t flinch as Python moved on to Bob.  The snake charmer looked down on him with smirk.  “Oh I remember you.  You caught my act?  Well, I guess it’s only fair if I’m taking something from you, I might as well give you something.  Not that you’ll remember anything.”  Placing the satchel on the ground, Python straddled Bob, took hold his head in her hands, and forcibly kissed him.  Madeline unthinkingly gave a gasp of shock before biting her lip.  Princess Python, still seated on Bob, spun to look at Madeline with a glare.  She looked up and down as Madeline tried to regain her composure. 

“Ringmaster!” Python yelled.  “I think you might have missed someone!  She’s snapping out of it!”  Ringmaster strode to the bleachers with a sinister smile.  “No matter, Princess.  She’ll be in my power again.  Look at me, my dear.  Watch the hat.”  Madeline saw the spinning shapes in Ringmaster’s hat, absorbing her and dulling her mind. 

She leapt out of her seat, and ran for the entrance to the tent.  “Stop her!” yelled the Ringmaster.  “Don’t let her get away!”  Two clowns jumped in front of Madeline but she leapt over them and landed outside the big top.  Princess Python summoned Precious to her as she watched Madeline disappear into the deserted midway.  “Maybe we can have her work with the Gambonos.”  Ringmaster didn’t acknowledge his snake charmer as shouted orders to his crew.  “Bruto!  You and Teena take the clowns and search the midway!  Ernesto and Luigi!  You stay here with Rajah and Princess in case that woman comes back!  These people will only be in my power for another 50 minutes!  Move!” 

Madeline ran faster then she thought she was ever capable, until she could feel her feet leave the ground. She zoomed through the midway until she reached the clearing which the circus had made a makeshift parking lot.  She tumbled to the ground and landed in a heap a few feet from her car.  She jumped in and slammed the door, breathing heavily.  What was she to do?  Someone had to save those people, to save Bob.  Slowly, her panicking expression faded, as she turned to look at the white gift box still sitting in the backseat. 

Bruto the Strong Man led a group of clowns down the rows of booths.  The clowns had armed themselves with pitchforks, bats, and some even held pistols.  “Hey, Bruto!” one of them shouted.  Bruto turned to address the clown.  “What you want?   You see woman?”  Bruto’s gaze followed the clown’s pointing finger to see Madeline Joyce-Frank, dressed in a red outfit and blue cape.  “Hold there!” Bruto shouted.  “You come with us!”  Madeline continued to walk toward them.  One of the clowns pulled out a gun and fired.  Madeline held up her hands to her face, only feeling the bullet bounce off her arm and land harmlessly a few feet in front of her.  The clowns all stared in shock as Madeline lowered her hands to glance at the bullet, then looking up with a determined smile.  “Take it easy, gentlemen.  You ain’t seen nothing yet!”  Miss America took off into the air, then dived down toward the Circus of Crime. 

OK:

Can Miss America defeat Ringmaster and his gang?

Or will she be beaten and fall victim to his hypnotic power? 

Stay Tuned and find out! 

Game On! 

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

The clowns opened fire at Miss America but the bullets ricocheted off of her body.  She smashed into one clown and threw a punch that sent another into a booth.  Bruto the Strong Man grabbed her by the ankle with both hands.  He dug his heels into the ground as she looked down from him from midair.  “Pretty trick, woman,” Bruto grunted.  “But no trick can get you out of Bruto’s grip.” 

“I don’t know,” Miss America snarked.  “I think I like it here.”  She swung her free leg and kicked Bruto in the head.  The giant instantly was seeing stars and released the hold.  Miss America flew down and caught hold around Bruto’s waist.  Then she accelerated and charged into the remaining clowns and Teena, using Bruto for a battering ram.  Within moments, the crooks were unconscious on the midway.  Miss America dusted her hands, then took off into the air towards the big top. 

She tore through the canvas ceiling and hovered near one of the tent poles.  Below her was the still hypnotized crowd, sitting in silence.  The Gambonnos swung in on a trapeze, Luigi hanging upside down with Ernesto holding on to his brother arm with one hand while aiming a pistol with the other.  Miss America flew past them and snagged the pistol out of Ernesto’s grip.  The brothers turned back in shock as Miss America crumpled the weapon in her fist.  “Shouldn’t be playing with guns this high up, fellas,” she said.  The Gambonnos expertly leapt off the trapeze onto a platform, while Miss America quickly flew to the tightrope and yanked it free from it’s moorings.  Flying swiftly around the Gambonnos’ platform, Miss America wrapped the rope around the brothers until they were tightly bound to the tentpole. 

Miss America landed in the center ring, gazing up at her handiwork.  Then she looked down at her hands, and the small blemishes on her costume where bullets had impacted.  Her face became taut with confusion.  “What am I doing?” Madeline asked, her voice beginning to shake with worry.  “How am I…”  Miss America’s confusion was cut short with the feeling of something slithering up her leg.  Princess Python’s giant snake, Precious, had caught her.  Miss America tried to untangle herself but the reptile had already started tightening it’s grip.  She could the coils constrict around her ribs and dangerously close to her neck, as the sounds of Precious’ hissing filled her ears.  Princess Python looked on with a smile of smug satisfaction.  “You’re tough, lady.  But in a few moments, Precious will crush the air from your body.  And then we’ll make sure you won’t get up again.  Ready, Rajah?” 

Miss America could hear the thud of giant footsteps.  Making it’s way into the big top, was a bull elephant.  It trumpeted ferociously as it took a position just outside the center ring.  Rajah himself sat on the elephant’s back and waved down below.  “All is ready, Princess.  After Precious has done her work, Shiva will see to it that this infidel will be nothing more than a red, white, and blue stain on the sand.”  Miss America strained as she managed to free her right hand and take a hold of Precious’ head.  The snake snapped it’s jaws mere inches from her face.  She fought to rise to her feet as Princess Python gasped.  “Impossible!  Precious!  Kill!  Now!  Kill!”  But Miss America had already freed her left hand, and landed a blow to the snake’s head.  The force of the blow caused Precious to loosen it’s grip and Miss America started flying toward Rajah and the elephant, still tied up in the snake.  Miss America jammed Precious’ fangs right into Shiva’s leg, causing the elephant to trumpet in pain.  It reared up on it’s hind legs, sending Rajah tumbling off it’s back with a cry.  The elephant charged through the center ring and out the main entrance, dragging the snake with it. 

“Precious!  Baby!”  Princess Python wailed.  Miss America got to her feet as Princess Python charged toward her.  “You hurt my Precious, you flying freak!”  She pulled her arm back, but Miss America caught her before the slap landed.  “Two lessons, sweetheart,” Miss America said with a steel tone.  “Always keep your pets on a leash, and keep your hands off other people’s husbands!”  With that, Miss America punched Princess Python and sent her flying into the tentpole.  She slid to the ground and fell unconscious. 

Miss America heard the sounds of applause as Ringmaster walked out from behind the bleachers clapping his hands.  “Spectacular!  Bravo!  Encore!”  he said with a patronizing smile.  “You are incredible!  Just what this circus needs!” 

“Save it, mister,” Miss America snapped.  “I found the woman.  The one your power didn’t work on.  I saved her from your minions and I instructed her to call the police.  They’ll be hear any minute.  Give up and tell me how to free these people.  Now!”  Ringmaster tipped his hat to her and adjusted it so it pointed at Miss America.  “Oh, I don’t think the police will be concerned with me.  Not while they are dealing with you.  Look at my hat.  Let it absorb you into…”  Before he could finish, Miss America had taken flight, yanked the hat off Ringmaster’s head, and smashed between her hands.  Sparks and smoke flew from the hat as the felt fell away to reveal the electric device beneath.  Miss America tossed the destroyed machine to one side and stared at Ringmaster with a smile.  Ringmaster gulped.  “Oh…”  One punch from Miss America and Ringmaster fell to the sawdust floor.  Miss America quickly grabbed him by the collar and flew over to the tentpole.  She tied Rajah, Princess Python and Ringmaster to the pole with streamers from the bleachers then flew out through the tear she made in the canvas. 

A few minutes later, Madeline Joyce-Frank walked back into the big top, and took her seat next to Bob.  The crowd in the tent was starting to stir as the hypnotic effect wore off.  Bob blinked as he tried to take in the sight of the circus members all in various states of being tied up and unconscious.  “What…what happened?”  he asked.  Madeline gave him a hug.  “Oh Bob!  I was so worried!  They were crooks!  All of them!  They were trying to rob from us!”  Bob looked around at the crowd as people started crying out, discovering that their valuables were missing.  “It was like you were all in a trance or something,” Madeline went on.  “But I had gotten away.  Then this strange woman just flew in and…” 

“Wait a minute.  Flew in?”  Madeline looked at Bob’s confused expression, then started to chuckle as the sound of police car sirens drew closer to the tent.  “Well, maybe we can just let the police sort it out.” 

August 3rd, 1946.  Manhattan, New York City.  Outside the mansion of Silvio Manfredi. 

Silvio and Joseph Manfredi accompanied by their bodyguards approached the doors of the Manfredi mansion.  They were followed by a swarm of reporters and photographers, all shouting questions. 

“Any comment on these Maggia attacks, Mr. Manfredi?” 

“Have you heard about the fight between the devil and Stilt Man?” 

“Are you concerned that you may be a target?” 

“Shut up, you bunch of vultures!” Joseph snapped, raising a hand to his face to shield his eyes from a cameras flash.  “I’ll make you eat your cameras!”  Silvio placed his hand on Joseph’s arm to calm him, then turned and stood on the steps to face the crowd.  “I am well aware that certain newspapers have claimed my involvement with the Maggia.  It is a sad statement that in this country, a land of opportunity, if a man with Italian blood in his veins is successful, it must be by illegal means.  No, I am not afraid of being a target by masked freaks.  I am a businessman who is responsible for thousands of jobs in this city.  For the hundredth time.  I am not, nor have I ever been, involved with organized crime.  Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s late.  I need my rest.  Good night gentlemen.”  Silvio turned to the door and Joseph followed, but then a reporter shouted out.  “Any thoughts on the alleged death of Whitney Frost?”  The crowd fell silent as Joseph turned around in shock.  “What did you just say?”  The unfortunate reporter cleared his throat, realizing the awkwardness of the moment.  “There have been reports of some sort of violent disturbance where Miss Frost was institutionalized.  She has been rumored to be among the victims.  Since you and her were um, close, would you care to make a statement?” 

Joseph stood frozen for a second, a look of disbelief on his face.  Then he took a deep breath and stepped toward the reporter.  “A statement?  Sure.  I’ll make a statement.”  A right hand from Joseph sent the hapless reporter flying into the crowd, leaving them sprawled on the sidewalk.  “Joseph!” Silvio said urgently.  “Inside!  Now!”  The bodyguards ushered them all inside the mansion and slammed the door shut.  “That bastard Dimitri!” Joseph raged.  “That faceless son of a bitch!  He was supposed to keep things under control!  ‘Loyal to Maggia’, my ass!” 

“Be quiet, Joseph!” said Silvio, taking hold of his son’s shoulders.  “I don’t have time for you to be throwing a tantrum!”  Joseph shoved Silvio’s hand away.  “A tantrum?!  Whitney’s dead!  How could Dimitri let that happen?  To hell with the meeting!  I’m going back to LA right now!  I don’t care if I have to hitchhike!”  Joseph stormed to a side door, only for it to open and Dottie Underwood to block his way.  “Sorry, Joey,” she said with her sweetest and dangerous smile.  “But I think Silvio will be needing you here.”  Joseph considered reaching for the pistol in his coat pocket, but thought better of it.  He glowered at Silvio as Dottie walked him back to his father’s side.  “The family is what matters, Joseph,” Silvio wheezed.  “That is the one thing you never could learn.  Now let us get to the business at hand.”  Dottie walked ahead of the Manfredis and opened the door.  It was a study with a long, rectangular, oak table.  Sitting at it were the 6 heads of the Maggia families, including Count Nefaria, along with their bodyguards.  Silvio Manfredi walked into the room, with Dottie pulling the chair at the head of table for him to sit.  She smiled at Joseph, who just grumbled and took a seat to his father’s right.  Dottie remained standing behind and to the left of the chair, and Silvio surveyed the room.  “Very well, gentlemen.  Let us begin.” 

Collinsville, IL.  The home of Mr. and Mrs. Bob Frank. 

Bob pulled the car into the driveway and slowed it to a halt.  He got out of the car and held the door open for Madeline.  “Well, I’m sorry that the circus was more excited than I thought it would be.”  Madeline gave him a kiss on the cheek, and gave cheeky grin.  “No need to apologize.  I’m sorry I ruined your chances with the snake lady.”  Bob pulled Madeline in for another kiss.  “Her name was Princess Python,” he said as Madeline laughed.  “Besides, I can always see her again.  In about 20 years.  Or whenever they let her out.  Now let’s get inside.  I can start on making you a great dinner to give your birthday an ending that will make up for all of this nuttiness.” 

“You go on ahead,” Madeline said.  “I think I’d like to be out here for a minute.”  Bob nodded.  “I get it.  You’ve had quite an eventful day.  Good thing that flying woman you were talking about was there to buy you time to call the cops.  Go ahead and take your time.”  Giving her one last kiss on her forehead, Bob bounded up the driveway and into the house.  Madeline looked up at the sky, then back at the car.  The white giftbox that held her costume was still sitting on the backseat.  It all seemed impossible.  And yet, not only did she fly and fight, but she did it like she had been doing it for years.  Sure, she had dreamed of flying, everyone did.  But she never had done anything violent before in her life.  She had always followed her mother’s advice: gentle, gentle. 

Suddenly there was a crash from inside the house.  Madeline turned and shouted toward the door.  “You alright in there, Bob?” she teased.  “Do I need to get the flying woman to save you from the kitchen?”  There was no reply.  Madeline was suddenly gripped with the same feeling she had a circus.  Something was wrong.  She ran to the door of the house and flung it open.  She ran to the kitchen and stopped in the doorway.  There was Bob, her husband, being held up in the air.  His captor was a man in a tricorn hat, a mask, a cape, and a white sweater with the American flag on it.  The stranger looked at Madeline as his left hand tightened it’s grip on Bob’s throat.  “Hello, Madeline,” said Fighting Yank.  “We need to talk.” 

Next Time: Mighty, Mighty Man!