Johnny Lawrence

Slot: The Team's Coach
Season Wins: 1
Season Losses: 2
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Johnny Lawrence at this Wiki
Official Site: Sony Pictures Television

Battle Terrain
Coach Challenge: The Motivational Speech!

This has to be Iroh. Like the guy not only motivated and trained Zuko to become one of the greatest firebenders of the series but also motivated him to not turn into the evil and genocidal tyrant that the last three Fire Lords had been, and helped guide his  character development into a morally sound and great leader who finally managed to redeem his country and guide it away from it’s war hungry and imperial past.

And in LoK his spirit found Korra in the spirit realm and taught her how to traverse the spirit world and gave her the motivated to defeat the Dark Avatar Unalaq and the God of Evil Vaatu from recreating the world as we know it into their own image!

So yeah, Iroh is very good at motivating people.

I get that Iroh is a great teacher as well as great philosophizer, but to motivate an entire sports team? I think Johnny has it in the bag here.

Like look, I'm not saying Iroh doesn't have lessons to teach and advice worth taking, or even speeches that don't motivate. Iroh just feels like his kind of motivation wouldn't belong in team sports. Sports like golf, maybe martial arts depending on the style I think he can go through people. 

Sports teams on the other hand wouldn't know half of the stuff Iroh is talking about unless they were actually taught philosophy or were nerds and compared him to Mr. Miyagi or Master Roshi, wich many sports teams are not. 

Johnny while not the smartest is the most charismatic and down to earth kind of guy compared to Iroh, making him make comparisons and sermons that can make sense even to the biggest lunk head in sports. Keep in mind, he motivates his own karate students constantly in and out of the dojo, even doing so before a karate tournament
Iroh on the other hand while smart, wise and knowledgeable has little no nobody he can teach outside of Zuko that we know of on screen.

22 hours ago, Gizmo Hibiki said:

I get that Iroh is a great teacher as well as great philosophizer, but to motivate an entire sports team? I think Johnny has it in the bag here.

Like look, I'm not saying Iroh doesn't have lessons to teach and advice worth taking, or even speeches that don't motivate. Iroh just feels like his kind of motivation wouldn't belong in team sports. Sports like golf, maybe martial arts depending on the style I think he can go through people. 

Sports teams on the other hand wouldn't know half of the stuff Iroh is talking about unless they were actually taught philosophy or were nerds and compared him to Mr. Miyagi or Master Roshi, wich many sports teams are not. 

Johnny while not the smartest is the most charismatic and down to earth kind of guy compared to Iroh, making him make comparisons and sermons that can make sense even to the biggest lunk head in sports. Keep in mind, he motivates his own karate students constantly in and out of the dojo, even doing so before a karate tournament
Iroh on the other hand while smart, wise and knowledgeable has little no nobody he can teach outside of Zuko that we know of on screen.

Nice try but that doesn't take my vote away from Iroh.