Slot: The Team's Medic
Season Wins: 0
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Mordin Solus at this Wiki
Official Site: Bioware

Battle Terrain
Medical Challenge: Self-Surgery

Both would do well at this personality wise, under the right circumstances, but only Hush has for sure already done this. Hush's whole thing involves invasive self face surgery 

EDIT: I wanted to add to this a little bit. Here Hush is saving Prometheus with random supplies, and here he is after performing self-heart surgery.

Here he is after performing self face surgery. I don't think Mordin really does much surgery, and certainly not with primitive tools. Hush is a world renowned surgeon and has performed self surgery many times, and has saved someone with essentially primitive tools before. Hush should take this

Mordin should take this rather easily. Before he was recruited by Shepard in ME2 Mordin was treating humans, turians, asari, and dozens of other species on Omega, and given how lawless and uncivilized the space station is I couldn’t image Mordin had even half the tools and medicine a criminal mastermind like Hush could acquire. Gotta give it to Mordin’s greater wealth of experience and doing it while being under supplied in one of the most dangerous places in the galaxy.

23 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Mordin should take this rather easily. Before he was recruited by Shepard in ME2 Mordin was treating humans, turians, asari, and dozens of other species on Omega, and given how lawless and uncivilized the space station is I couldn’t image Mordin had even half the tools and medicine a criminal mastermind like Hush could acquire. Gotta give it to Mordin’s greater wealth of experience and doing it while being under supplied in one of the most dangerous places in the galaxy.

This is incorrect and incredibly misleading for a ton of reasons. Yes, he did have a clinic on Omega, but even the bare basics of medical supplies in Mass Effect would be cutting edge in modern day. There's also the incredibly important detail that Mordin was not performing any surgery in his clinic. He was curing a disease. In fact, all of his work that I know was editing diseases, curing diseases, and studying alien life. I have played all 3 main Mass Effect games and read the novels, and I do not remember a single time Mordin has ever done a surgery. It's possible he has, but he's up against someone who is not only a world class surgeon, but who was also practically made for this challenge. Hush has multiple times committed life-endangering surgery on himself. Do you have any evidence Mordin has ever done surgery on anyone, let alone himself?

19 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

This is incorrect and incredibly misleading for a ton of reasons. Yes, he did have a clinic on Omega, but even the bare basics of medical supplies in Mass Effect would be cutting edge in modern day. There's also the incredibly important detail that Mordin was not performing any surgery in his clinic. He was curing a disease. In fact, all of his work that I know was editing diseases, curing diseases, and studying alien life. I have played all 3 main Mass Effect games and read the novels, and I do not remember a single time Mordin has ever done a surgery. It's possible he has, but he's up against someone who is not only a world class surgeon, but who was also practically made for this challenge. Hush has multiple times committed life-endangering surgery on himself. Do you have any evidence Mordin has ever done surgery on anyone, let alone himself?

Do you have any evidence that Hush ever had to perform surgery with “essentially primate tools” before? The guy drove Joker out of Gotham, beat Riddler to almost death and (temporarily) killed Poison Ivy! Yet your trying to peddle to me that the guy couldn’t get his hands on high tech medical equipment for his surgeries? As for Mordin what exactly did you think during the years before Mass Effect 2? He ran a medical clinic in a part of the galaxy were murder and assault with a deadly weapon was twice that of Gotham’s and you really don’t think that Mordin ever had to perform surgery during that time? And your argument about Mordin’s tools being cutting edge by virtue of it being in the future is a flawed one. There are dozens of places in the world today that use medical tools and practices that are several decades, maybe a century, outdated and primitive compared to medical help in developed nations, those places don’t just automatically have modern day by virtue of being in the same time period as it. How exactly would Mordin get access to the standard medical equipment of that era? He’s light years away from reasonable facilities, and the only groups that could smuggle those supplies in were criminal groups like the Blue Suns, the group he pissed off day one due to killing several members who tried to shake him up.

1 hour ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Do you have any evidence that Hush ever had to perform surgery with “essentially primate tools” before? The guy drove Joker out of Gotham, beat Riddler to almost death and (temporarily) killed Poison Ivy! Yet your trying to peddle to me that the guy couldn’t get his hands on high tech medical equipment for his surgeries? As for Mordin what exactly did you think during the years before Mass Effect 2? He ran a medical clinic in a part of the galaxy were murder and assault with a deadly weapon was twice that of Gotham’s and you really don’t think that Mordin ever had to perform surgery during that time? And your argument about Mordin’s tools being cutting edge by virtue of it being in the future is a flawed one. There are dozens of places in the world today that use medical tools and practices that are several decades, maybe a century, outdated and primitive compared to medical help in developed nations, those places don’t just automatically have modern day by virtue of being in the same time period as it. How exactly would Mordin get access to the standard medical equipment of that era? He’s light years away from reasonable facilities, and the only groups that could smuggle those supplies in were criminal groups like the Blue Suns, the group he pissed off day one due to killing several members who tried to shake him up.

You ignored by far the most important question, so I'll reiterate it. 

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Mordin can even preform surgery? Not every doctor is a surgeon, and Mordin isn't ever shown to be able to perform surgery at all. He's simply not a surgeon, so no, I don't think he had to perform a surgery on Omega, especially since we don't even know how long he was there, but it definitely wasn't all that long. 

To address your first question, I never said that Hush didn't have any equipment for his self-surgeries, I said he has performed self surgery before, in one case when it was a life-or-death situation, and on a different occasion, he performed surgery with random tools he had lying about when he was saving Prometheus. He did each part of the challenge separately, and he's a world-class surgeon, so it's not a stretch to say he could do both at once.

Again, this matchup is very simple to me. Hush is a world-class surgeon who famously performs self-surgery. Mordin Solus has never performed surgery that we know of

22 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that Mordin can even preform surgery? Not every doctor is a surgeon, and Mordin isn't ever shown to be able to perform surgery at all. He's simply not a surgeon, so no, I don't think he had to perform a surgery on Omega, especially since we don't even know how long he was there, but it definitely wasn't all that long

So the fact that he held a clinic in Omega, a place where dozens of stabbed or shot victims come to him daily wasn’t enough? For a specific case, then in one of two stories that tell how he got the injury to his cranial horn (BioWare hasn’t confirmed whether either was canon) Mordin was slashed across the face and head by a Krogan, refused Kirrahe’s request to return to ship for proper help and instead treated the would himself in order to carry out the mission.

1 minute ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

So the fact that he held a clinic in Omega, a place where dozens of stabbed or shot victims come to him daily wasn’t enough? For a specific case, then in one of two stories that tell how he got the injury to his cranial horn (BioWare hasn’t confirmed whether either was canon) Mordin was slashed across the face and head by a Krogan, refused Kirrahe’s request to return to ship for proper help and instead treated the would himself in order to carry out the mission.

Correct, the fact that he ran a clinic on Omega where he cured a disease isn't enough evidence that Mordin can perform surgery because it's not a feat of him performing surgery. Mordin is a better doctor for overall health, I have no argument there, but Hush is no question a better surgeon and it's silly to argue otherwise. Mordin isn't a surgeon, he's a doctor. Hush is a world-renowned surgeon who has performed self-surgery multiple times.

That story isn't a surgery. I'm looking for evidence of him actually performing a surgery at any point in the series. That story, even if it is true, which we don't even know that it is, is more like him dressing a wound in the field rather than him performing an actual surgery on himself. Can you find any evidence that he actually performed surgery?

25 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Correct, the fact that he ran a clinic on Omega where he cured a disease isn't enough evidence that Mordin can perform surgery because it's not a feat of him performing surgery. Mordin is a better doctor for overall health, I have no argument there, but Hush is no question a better surgeon and it's silly to argue otherwise. Mordin isn't a surgeon, he's a doctor. Hush is a world-renowned surgeon who has performed self-surgery multiple times.

That story isn't a surgery. I'm looking for evidence of him actually performing a surgery at any point in the series. That story, even if it is true, which we don't even know that it is, is more like him dressing a wound in the field rather than him performing an actual surgery on himself. Can you find any evidence that he actually performed surgery?

The scenario seems to indicate that treating a wound in the field seems to be the goal, does it not? It says that in a life-or-death situation which contender will survive in the best shape? 

5 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

The scenario seems to indicate that treating a wound in the field seems to be the goal, does it not? It says that in a life-or-death situation which contender will survive in the best shape? 

No, it's a self-surgery. It says "self-surgery," and the image makes it look like an amputation situation. Regardless, it's a surgery challenge, not a wound dressing challenge, and Hush is a better surgeon without question

1 minute ago, Peypeypeypey said:

No, it's a self-surgery. It says "self-surgery," and the image makes it look like an amputation situation. Regardless, it's a surgery challenge, not a wound dressing challenge, and Hush is a better surgeon without question

Oh so when James Franco amputated his own arm in 127 hours that counts as a feat of him performing surgery? I think the title is a pit misleading, amputating and dressing a wound isn’t necessary surgery, I think the scenario is basically a self-care challenge similar to what was seen in 127 hours. And in that vein Mordin’s self-care feat definitely counts.

11 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Oh so when James Franco amputated his own arm in 127 hours that counts as a feat of him performing surgery? I think the title is a pit misleading, amputating and dressing a wound isn’t necessary surgery, I think the scenario is basically a self-care challenge similar to what was seen in 127 hours. And in that vein Mordin’s self-care feat definitely counts.

I think the picture is just to get across the idea, not necessarily what's literally happening. We don't know the exact scenario, what we do know is that Hush is a much more literal fit for the category than Mordin is. Even taking that feat into account, he has nowhere near the level of experience of self-surgery as Hush does. Dressing one field wound isn't anywhere near as impressive as performing invasive heart surgery on yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I think the picture is just to get across the idea, not necessarily what's literally happening. We don't know the exact scenario, what we do know is that Hush is a much more literal fit for the category than Mordin is. Even taking that feat into account, he has nowhere near the level of experience of self-surgery as Hush does. Dressing one field wound isn't anywhere near as impressive as performing invasive heart surgery on yourself. 

Yeah but if the scenario is a self-care challenge similar to what the photo suggests then I would think Mordin’s feat is a better one. Hush’s surgery feats seem to have been pre-planned and taken place in an environment that Hush could better control, like an actual surgery with medicine and equipment already on hand and ready to go. Mordin’s feat would work better because the picture’s scenario indicates that it’s taking place on the field without the time to prepare and gather the necessary supplies for it, like an actual on dressing a wound on the field. If this was an actual, hospital setting surgery then Hush would probably have the advantage, but for an on the battle field or in the wilderness injury, I would think Mordin would be the guy for the job. 

2 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Yeah but if the scenario is a self-care challenge similar to what the photo suggests then I would think Mordin’s feat is a better one. Hush’s surgery feats seem to have been pre-planned and taken place in an environment that Hush could better control, like an actual surgery with medicine and equipment already on hand and ready to go. Mordin’s feat would work better because the picture’s scenario indicates that it’s taking place on the field without the time to prepare and gather the necessary supplies for it, like an actual on dressing a wound on the field. If this was an actual, hospital setting surgery then Hush would probably have the advantage, but for an on the battle field or in the wilderness injury, I would think Mordin would be the guy for the job. 

I completely disagree because a surgeon would have better knowledge of where to cut, and more importantly, have much more practice actually doing so in the field. Mordin's "feat" isn't even a feat, it's an in-universe story that we don't even know is true, and even then, we don't know the severity of the damage he took or the extent that he dressed it in the field. All we know is that he maybe got hit in the field and kept going. Hush has performed surgery on himself multiple times with no anesthetic, and he has performed surgery with next to no equipment when he saved Prometheus' life. Again, the photo isn't necessarily the challenge. It could be a scenario where they have to take out their own appendix, or perform heart surgery on themselves, or carve out something poisonous. Even if it was an amputation, I would still take Hush's decades of experience as a surgeon over Mordin's experience as a field medic and his experience as a doctor. He simply doesn't have any experience with that kind of scenario, and him maybe dressing a wound in the field is simply not going to stack up with Hush's lifetime to experience with amputations and other surgeries, his proven past of self-surgery, and his experience as a surgeon with few tools. He ticks every single box for this category perfectly, honestly. Again, there's nothing suggesting that it is necessarily an amputation, and if it's not, then Hush for sure wins, but even if it is, he's a world class surgeon who would have much more experience with amputations than Mordin

I think the scenario is "self-surgery" in the sense that a trained surgeon would have a much better chance of surviving self amputation. Better chance of missing vitals and not bleeding out, etc.

I am leaning Hush, though I know nothing of Mordin. However, I am not convinced by the arguments thus far that he has skills necessary to survive. I think Hush should have more willingness to mutilate himself as well. It's got to be hard to go through with this kind of surgery.

21 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I completely disagree because a surgeon would have better knowledge of where to cut, and more importantly, have much more practice actually doing so in the field. Mordin's "feat" isn't even a feat, it's an in-universe story that we don't even know is true, and even then, we don't know the severity of the damage he took or the extent that he dressed it in the field. All we know is that he maybe got hit in the field and kept going. Hush has performed surgery on himself multiple times with no anesthetic, and he has performed surgery with next to no equipment when he saved Prometheus' life. Again, the photo isn't necessarily the challenge. It could be a scenario where they have to take out their own appendix, or perform heart surgery on themselves, or carve out something poisonous. Even if it was an amputation, I would still take Hush's decades of experience as a surgeon over Mordin's experience as a field medic and his experience as a doctor. He simply doesn't have any experience with that kind of scenario, and him maybe dressing a wound in the field is simply not going to stack up with Hush's lifetime to experience with amputations and other surgeries, his proven past of self-surgery, and his experience as a surgeon with few tools. He ticks every single box for this category perfectly, honestly. Again, there's nothing suggesting that it is necessarily an amputation, and if it's not, then Hush for sure wins, but even if it is, he's a world class surgeon who would have much more experience with amputations than Mordin

Yeah better training in a controlled environment, where all the tools, equipment, and medicine he requires would be prepared ahead of time for him. Mordin’s feat would be far more relevant to an 127 type scenario because one would really not access to anything close to the supplies that surgeons like Hush would use during their operations. Mordin is a field medic, his whole training revolves around being able to treat wounds out in the field without the supplies, medicine, or warnings and prep time that one would have in a hospital funded surgery. That’s what makes his loss cranial feat better then Hush’s, Mordin’s happened in the field, with only the barest of tools and medicine, and Mordin had clearly not had the time to prepare for it. Has Hush ever done any of his medical feats out in the open in anything resembling an 127 hour scenario: e.i. outside, with no tools or medicine already prepared for him, and without hours to prepare for the challenge? Because Mordin has.

54 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

Yeah better training in a controlled environment, where all the tools, equipment, and medicine he requires would be prepared ahead of time for him. Mordin’s feat would be far more relevant to an 127 type scenario because one would really not access to anything close to the supplies that surgeons like Hush would use during their operations. Mordin is a field medic, his whole training revolves around being able to treat wounds out in the field without the supplies, medicine, or warnings and prep time that one would have in a hospital funded surgery. That’s what makes his loss cranial feat better then Hush’s, Mordin’s happened in the field, with only the barest of tools and medicine, and Mordin had clearly not had the time to prepare for it. Has Hush ever done any of his medical feats out in the open in anything resembling an 127 hour scenario: e.i. outside, with no tools or medicine already prepared for him, and without hours to prepare for the challenge? Because Mordin has.

Again, Mordin has no feats in this area. Hush does. Hush has several, actually. He has performed complex self surgery, and he has performed surgery with little to no supplies. Mordin has never performed any kind of surgery that we know of.

I also think you're wrong about Mordin being a field medic. I vaguely remembered that being the case so I was just going with it, but I looked it up this time and it is mentioned nowhere on his Mass Effect Wiki page or his Wikipedia page, and a google search of "Mordin Solus Medic" turns up no results that are relevant. He's a general physician, not a field medic, so every advantage that would come with being a medic is completely null and void unless you can find a source that I'm failing to find that shows that he actually was a field medic.  

EDIT: Also, yes, again, when he saved Prometheus, he was using random supplies he found lying around. And you keep referencing Mordin's "feat," but the only reference to his cranial horn on the Mass Effect wiki is that it was lost during a mission in which his squad was basically bombarded. It mentions nothing about Mordin dressing his wound and in fact states that he had to be rescued. Here's the relevant quote:

"Mordin was recovered from the rubble by Captain Chaleen, who berated him for disobeying orders. The scientist salarian replied that he saw a chance and took it. Mordin, now missing his right cranial horn, was eased into a corner by the captain upon their return to the shuttle, and was admonished into not letting their teammates detonate places with them still inside. The injured salarian could only agree. His assistant came up to him next, and inquired about his dialogue with the female while bandaging his head."

So even the single feat you've been quoting is false according to the Mass Effect wiki. Easy win for Hush

EDIT 2: Upon researching more, the last point is something of an inconsistency in the Mass Effect lore, as the Shadow Broker files tell a different story for him losing his horn as the comic, and neither are confirmed to be more canonical than the other. In either case, though, my point stands: the severity of Mordin's injury, and how much he dressed it, are both completely unknown. In the comic canon, he didn't even dress it at all, an assistant did

2 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

EDIT 2: Upon researching more, the last point is something of an inconsistency in the Mass Effect lore, as the Shadow Broker files tell a different story for him losing his horn as the comic, and neither are confirmed to be more canonical than the other. In either case, though, my point stands: the severity of Mordin's injury, and how much he dressed it, are both completely unknown. In the comic canon, he didn't even dress it at all, an assistant did

I know, I thought I had talked about that inconsistency in the first post where I mentioned the cranial injury. Look personally I’ve been of the mindset of Original source > comic tie in. Since the Shadow Broker files were part of the Mass Effect 2 game where Mordin first appeared I personally think it should be considered more “canon” then the story told in the comic. And while I do admit it doesn’t directly tell you what happened, you gotta admit it does imply that Mordin had to end up treating the wound on his own with very limited supplies or medicine around, why would Kirrahe tell him to go make to the Salarians main ship if they had equally good medical supplies on the ground?

Hush does. Hush has several, actually. He has performed complex self surgery, and he has performed surgery with little to no supplies. Mordin has never performed any kind of surgery that we know of.

Also, yes, again, when he saved Prometheus, he was using random supplies he found lying around.

C’mon Peypey, really look at that scene of him saving Prometheus again. Are you really telling me that Hush found that blood bag filled with just the right blood type for Prometheus “lying around”? The scissors, the tweezers, the scalpel, the ice packs, the shots, the medicine he put into the shots, and all the stitches and bandages he used to wrap up Prometheus? Hush found all of those things just “lying around” in what looks to be some sort of hotel room? Just admit that that was clearly a pre-planned, pre-supplied, classic surgery that a typical surgeon like Hush had already set up before he began the operation. Was it impressive for one man to do it without the typical staff and supplies found at a hospital, sure, but it’s not what one would usually classify as a 127 hours self-care scenario.

And the reason I keep bringing up that Mordin feat was because it was exactly like what the scenario described: a life-or-death situation with primate medical tools. A krogan (who on average are as strong as Captain America) slashed him across the head hard enough to take off a body part (for a human it would be the equivalent of someone slashing off your ear) so think I think we can conclude it was a pretty severe and life threatening injury. And again it was heavily implied that in that version of the story Mordin stayed in the field and treated the life threatening injury himself! 

So again in Hush’s beat feat was him treating another man in a pre-planned and pre-supplies room in a place he was clearly comfortable with. Mordin had to treat his own injury, a slash across the head by something with super-soldier strength, in the middle of enemy territory, with only the supplies that a usual special forces member would bring with him on a mission. Which scenario really resembles the 127 hours scenario better?

I also looked up the other feats you mentioned, and you made some other misleading statements yourself: we never actually saw Hush perform the self-heart surgery, for all we know he had some help doing it. 

36 minutes ago, Pizzaguy2995 said:

I also looked up the other feats you mentioned, and you made some other misleading statements yourself: we never actually saw Hush perform the self-heart surgery, for all we know he had some help doing it. 

To even pretend that this is on the same level as you're misleading statements about Mordin being a medic for your entire argument is ridiculous. Up until I pointed it out, most of your argument was built on the fact that Mordin was a medic and would have good experience in the field. Hush says "After removed the pacemaker..." not after "we." Given the fact that he's a criminal with a penchant for self surgery, and that he wouldn't have access to other medical professionals to help him, it's not at all misleading to say that he performed the surgery himself, because he said he did. 

I know, I thought I had talked about that inconsistency in the first post where I mentioned the cranial injury. Look personally I’ve been of the mindset of Original source > comic tie in. Since the Shadow Broker files were part of the Mass Effect 2 game where Mordin first appeared I personally think it should be considered more “canon” then the story told in the comic. And while I do admit it doesn’t directly tell you what happened, you gotta admit it does imply that Mordin had to end up treating the wound on his own with very limited supplies or medicine around, why would Kirrahe tell him to go make to the Salarians main ship if they had equally good medical supplies on the ground?

He would tell him to go back to the ship to have his injury looked at. We don't know how many people where there, but what we do know is he definitely wasn't alone and there is literally nothing in the file that suggests that Mordin dressed him own injury. Literally 0 words or statements or even implications. He was part of a team of multiple people, all of whom were specialist in a wide variety of fields, and he wasn't the medic so it makes no sense that he would have to dress his own wound. You are grasping at straws so hard here because this is literally the only feat you have.

C’mon Peypey, really look at that scene of him saving Prometheus again. Are you really telling me that Hush found that blood bag filled with just the right blood type for Prometheus “lying around”? The scissors, the tweezers, the scalpel, the ice packs, the shots, the medicine he put into the shots, and all the stitches and bandages he used to wrap up Prometheus? Hush found all of those things just “lying around” in what looks to be some sort of hotel room? Just admit that that was clearly a pre-planned, pre-supplied, classic surgery that a typical surgeon like Hush had already set up before he began the operation. Was it impressive for one man to do it without the typical staff and supplies found at a hospital, sure, but it’s not what one would usually classify as a 127 hours self-care scenario.

And the reason I keep bringing up that Mordin feat was because it was exactly like what the scenario described: a life-or-death situation with primate medical tools. A krogan (who on average are as strong as Captain America) slashed him across the head hard enough to take off a body part (for a human it would be the equivalent of someone slashing off your ear) so think I think we can conclude it was a pretty severe and life threatening injury. And again it was heavily implied that in that version of the story Mordin stayed in the field and treated the life threatening injury himself! 

So again in Hush’s beat feat was him treating another man in a pre-planned and pre-supplies room in a place he was clearly comfortable with. Mordin had to treat his own injury, a slash across the head by something with super-soldier strength, in the middle of enemy territory, with only the supplies that a usual special forces member would bring with him on a mission. Which scenario really resembles the 127 hours scenario better?

Mordin didn't have to treat his own injury. There is literally 0 evidence of it. If you have more evidence, feel free to show it, but you're simply guessing based on no evidence.

This whole discussion is just going around in circles now, so I'm probably going to stop responding. Hush is a world renowned surgeon, Mordin is a physician. Mordin is not a medic, so he has no experience in the field treating injury that we know of. Mordin's one "feat" doesn't mention or even come close to implying that he treated his own injury. Even if you don't take Hush's Prometheus feat as anything impressive (I disagree, but for the sake of argument), that makes it a physician with no feats vs. a surgeon with no feats at performing surgery, and the surgeon is the obvious choice  

Even having read this discussion, I'm still on the fence. I like Mordin better and think he's more capable than Hush overall. But Hush is a surgeon and has experience with this scenario... I'm really torn but may go with Hush by the slightest edge.