Slot: The Team Pet
Season Wins: 3
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Krypto at Wikipedia
Official Site: D.C Comics

Battle Terrain
Therapy Animal

Courage is a very comforting dog when nothing is going wrong. If it's in a stress-free environment, he could be a great therapy dog. For example, if he worked at a therapist's office, he would do wonders to help comfort people. If he's in a stressful environment, he can be great at solving the problem, but he's also very anxious and prone to freaking out, which might make the situation worse. So, as far as that translates to therapy animals, he might be good at, for example, helping his owner if they were having a seizure, but he would be very bad if he were in a high-stress household where the anxiety was environmentally-based. I don't know a lot about Krypto, so I won't speculate on how well he would do here. Make of this what you will

I don't know if Krypto has what it takes to actually comfort people, you know. He can definitely save you from any one thing in a physical manner, dude's a Kryptonian dog. There's very little things that can beat him in an actual battle. But when it comes to actually being comfort, on an emotional level, I feel like he's pretty distant. He isn't any better than a normal dog in that manner. Courage, on the other hand, is anthropomorphic. Not only is he a companion, he's one that can help you out on the level that a human can while also being by your side 24/7, as that is the way he is. I think I'll go with him.

1 hour ago, Bergy_Berg said:

If only Krypto was specifically good at making sad kids feel better.

You telling me you wouldn't want this as a therapy dog?

I think there’s a difference between servicing people with powers and a true therapeutic bond. Courage has deep, emotional connections to his people that real therapy dogs also emulate.

Courage is also small enough to go out and about with his person, if anything Krypto might create more stress in a person’s life with having to keep him a secret. Not to mention him being potentially destructive, while Courage just wants to relax.

16 minutes ago, Magnamax said:

I think there’s a difference between servicing people with powers and a true therapeutic bond. Courage has deep, emotional connections to his people that real therapy dogs also emulate.

Courage is also small enough to go out and about with his person, if anything Krypto might create more stress in a person’s life with having to keep him a secret. Not to mention him being potentially destructive, while Courage just wants to relax.

Ah yes, I forgot therapy dogs only come in toy size. Certainly a large breed that can open doors, make you feel protected, and accomplish a multitude of tasks for you would be terrible to have around. And there's no comfort to be taken from a friendly lab, especially one who can communicate with you.

In that clip the mother even specifically points out that the kid has been lonely and the dog is making him feel better.

And Courage may want to relax, but that dog is a ball of stress. I don't think he actually does particularly well with the whole relaxing thing.

26 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

And Courage may want to relax, but that dog is a ball of stress. I don't think he actually does particularly well with the whole relaxing thing.

Point of order here: Courage is only a ball of stress because he lives in a dystopian hellscape where every living being around him is a demoic or eldritch abomination that wants him and his family dead. And through all that he still manages to be the rock for his family and find moments of peace and comfort with Muriel. Put him in a regular setting without monsters around every corner and he would do much better

23 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

Ah yes, I forgot therapy dogs only come in toy size. Certainly a large breed that can open doors, make you feel protected, and accomplish a multitude of tasks for you would be terrible to have around. And there's no comfort to be taken from a friendly lab, especially one who can communicate with you.

In that clip the mother even specifically points out that the kid has been lonely and the dog is making him feel better.

...I think you may be confused on a therapy dog. A small dog is important for people who need that companion and trust with them constantly. A therapy dog doesn't need to "accomplish tasks," open doors or protect you. Those are guard dogs or service animals, which are different from therapy dogs, unless I'm mistaken. Therapy dogs can be lab sized but being smaller and able to travel on airplanes, etc helps people with anxiety or who are sick by having an easy-to-transport dog.

Also, having a dog that can communicate with you constantly isn't necessarily great as a therapy animal. Part of the reason dogs work as therapy animals is that they love you unconditionally and don't necessarily understand your actions or what you are saying. Communication leaves the door open to arguing, etc and dogs don't do that, they just love you because you're there. Courage provides that, I think sometimes communication can help, but people have therapy dogs for constant support, not so they constantly have to talk with someone. 

Dogs will help any lonely person feel better. A therapy dog, however, is not just for loneliness. Krypto is a high-enegy, superpowered dog trying to keep his identity a secret but running off to save the day is part of his routine. No matter what, he's going to act that way and have A LOT of energy. A therapy dog needs to be calm, loyal and soothing, Krypto's lifestyle does not match that description. His owner needs to be worried about his identity getting revealed or him crashing through a wall or fighting some giant threat or going back to Krypton, Courage just wants to have peace.

Courage is stressed out because he is constantly having to deal with hellish monsters. Give him a normal family and he's going to stick to them constantly and just be a constant comfort.

I dont know much about therapy dogs in all honesty. I feel like dogs in general are great for therapeutic needs as they are generally great companions. Courgae may have an edge in the sense that he is smaller and would be by the persons side, even in the hard times. 

Krypto may leave to fight crime or do something else entirely in the person's greatest time of need. For a person in therapy (again I'm assuming) , they may need comfort in the times of distress (when Krypto is saving the world or whatever)

Again I think both would certainly be great at being therapy dogs. Courage may have a better chance