Tournament - MST3K vs. Athena (Tomorrowland)
MATCH SCORE
MST3K: 4
Athena (Tomorrowland): 0

Rumble 20540 Oroku Hiroto vs. Samael vs. Kim Minsu
MATCH SCORE
Oroku Hiroto: 0
Samael: 1
Kim Minsu: 3

Rumble 20539 Whitespikes vs. The Xenomorphs
MATCH SCORE
Whitespikes: 0
The Xenomorphs: 3

Cameron Poe vs. Castor Troy
MATCH SCORE
Cameron Poe: 3
Castor Troy: 0

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

7:9 - Magneto vs. The Silver Surfer

UMPIRE

SEASON 7, ROUND 9

Magneto

Slot: The Team Anchor
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Magneto at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics

The Silver Surfer

Slot: The Team Anchor
Season Wins: 2
Season Losses: 0
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about The Silver Surfer at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel

Battle Terrain
Combat Terrain: R'lyeh

Well then. Bad draws for me this round, huh?

My initial defense is that Magneto's shield is always up, and Silver Surfer explicitly holds back because he doesn't want to kill his opponents most of the time. That weakness is so notable that it's even listed in his RT. Magneto can manipulate energy, his shield can stand up to attacks stronger than almost anything a Tier 5 Surfer would likely dish out, and he can maybe redirect Surfer's attacks. He can certainly bend light speed attacks

If only Silver Surfer were made out of real silver

1 hour ago, Boratz said:

If Surfer unleashes his full power, than i could see him taking this one

Well he definitely can't use his full power. He's at least somewhat limited in this matchup. Honestly, my biggest problem with him in this category is that there is no clear distinction between tier 5 SS and tier 4 SS. He's just holding back more, but essentially, that fact means that he is basically allowed to be at the maximum possible power output for each category while maintaining Tier 5 status. There's no real way anyone could beat him

4 minutes ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Well he definitely can't use his full power. He's at least somewhat limited in this matchup. Honestly, my biggest problem with him in this category is that there is no clear distinction between tier 5 SS and tier 4 SS. He's just holding back more, but essentially, that fact means that he is basically allowed to be at the maximum possible power output for each category while maintaining Tier 5 status. There's no real way anyone could beat him

I think SS is not the only one that falls in the category from some of the characters in this season. 

Magneto can definitely hold his shield up, but the problem lies in the fact that Silver Surfer might be able to manipulate Magneto's shield to a greater extent than Magneto himself. The master of magnetism falls to the herald of Galactus simply due to the fact that Silver Surfer genuinely has better mastery of the four forces than Magneto. He's kind of toast here.

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

I remember taking Silver Surfer as an oh shit button in the past and him winning all his matches. He's problematic for this slot.

Anyway, tier 5 SS probably isn't as good in that insanity causing place as tier 5 Magneto, so I gotta go with Magneto here.

20 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

I remember taking Silver Surfer as an oh shit button in the past and him winning all his matches. He's problematic for this slot.

Anyway, tier 5 SS probably isn't as good in that insanity causing place as tier 5 Magneto, so I gotta go with Magneto here.

What? Why would a tier 4 or 5 SS be more affected by R'lyeh than Magneto? Silver Surfer interacts with weird cosmic shit constantly and Magento is an emotional person, I would assume Magneto would be much more prone to being affected by R'lyeh. 

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

57 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Magneto can definitely hold his shield up, but the problem lies in the fact that Silver Surfer might be able to manipulate Magneto's shield to a greater extent than Magneto himself. The master of magnetism falls to the herald of Galactus simply due to the fact that Silver Surfer genuinely has better mastery of the four forces than Magneto. He's kind of toast here.

I think that Macklemore's point is good, in that any version of Surfer should just have more power and better energy manipulation. I just don't know if Magneto has enough win conditions to pull this off.

Another huge consideration is Surfer's speed. He's just so much faster than Magneto that he will cause a lot of issues for Erik. 

44 minutes ago, Magnamax said:

Another huge consideration is Surfer's speed. He's just so much faster than Magneto that he will cause a lot of issues for Erik. 

If I recall correctly, Surfer doesn't use his speed in combat. Most of his fastest speed feats are movement speed, not reaction speed feats. 

1 hour ago, Magnamax said:

I think that Macklemore's point is good, in that any version of Surfer should just have more power and better energy manipulation. I just don't know if Magneto has enough win conditions to pull this off.

I think the speed thing is somewhat hard to quantify. As I said, Magneto has many feats of manipulating light-speed attacks, and while Surfer's travel speed is far greater than FTL on account of him being able to travel through space very quickly, his combat speed rarely seems to be, and he regularly struggles to fight beings who are far slower than that

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

If I recall correctly, Surfer doesn't use his speed in combat. Most of his fastest speed feats are movement speed, not reaction speed feats. 

I think is a general misperception. He does have really good movement speed and he can process things to a nanosecond. In general, comics rarely portray characters up to their combat speed. IE Spider-Man consistently gets hit by opponents who shouldn’t be able to.

If he’s in a death match scenario, then his movement speed really plays into combat speed, given he can just keep looping around and hitting Magneto over and over.

I think my overall point is that he’s simply much, much faster in every category. Manipulating light speed attacks is impressive, but Surfer is much faster than that.

Overall, I just don’t think Magneto has any avenues to win. Surfer has too many.