Rumble 20546 Killjoy vs. The Leprechaun
MATCH SCORE
Killjoy: 2
The Leprechaun: 0

Tournament - Sir Dan Fortesque vs. Brook

SSJRuss

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale PLUS EDITION

It has risen again!

The dubious skeletal knight, Sir Daniel Fortesque, opened his one good eye.

Ah, Sir Daniel Fortesque. Awake again. What fortuitous timing he had, the Hero of Gallowmere. He slept quite a long time after the Polygon Man’s defeat.

He stepped out and down the threshold of his casket, old bones crackling with new life. It appeared that the energy he’d been awarded after that dashing victory over the polygon monster had kept his skeletal body in good condition. Not a bone out of place.

But all that time had let evil fester. As a decorated hero in the Hall of Heroes, it was his duty to answer the new threat.

“Mwah?" he mumbled. (Me?)

Yes! Who else could undo all the chaos that Zarok brought forth? Or undo the doings of the Polygon Man?

Our courageous knight put a finger to what was left of his jaw, likely considering who else but him could do the job.

Of course, there was no one but him.

Sir Daniel would not neglect a chance to prove himself once again. Times changed and long gone were the effects of Zarok’s magic. No one was left to remember his bravery against evil.

Soon. Soon the world would remember. And the Kingdom of Gallowmere would forever praise the name, Sir Daniel Fortesque!

Brook wandered alone. The valley before him riddled with broken rock and rusted metal. A grassy meadow blanketed what he could see, the path edged my surrounding forest on each side.

"Luffy?" He called.

Nothing.

He tried again, "Zoro?"

Nothing.

He called out each name of his fellow Straw Hat Pirates. He hadn't seen them since that strange blue energy erupted above the Thousand Sunny and lifted them into the air, vanishing one by one.

An attack by a devil fruit user, surely? Bartholomew Kuma had done something similar to them two years ago. Brook and his crewmates trained hard so this wouldn’t happen again.

“Yooohoo,” Brook called out, anxiously strumming his guitar to fill the silence.

His voice and music carried through the valley. If anyone heard him, they didn’t make it known.

He looked around this new wasteland. Vegetation grew wildly around him. The only simbelence of people were the derelict skyscrapers at the edge of his vision. But they too were overcome with vegetation.

"Am I the only one alive?"

The wind passing through his ribcage reminded him that he was otherwise.

“Yo! Skull-joke! Yo ho ho ho!”

No one laughed.

“Oh, Usopp would have found that funny.” He strummed a low note on the guitar.

He continued down the valley, humming to the tune of his guitar. "Hmm hmm hmm hmmmm, hm hmm hmm hmmmm-"

Reaching the base of a hill, he heard something rustle in the forest on his right.

“Yo ho ho! Is that you Usopp?” Brook's skeletal chest swelled with excitement at the thought of reuniting with his friends. He ran towards the noise. “Did you hear my skull joke?”

Sir Daniel Fortesque rustled through the forest. He’d gotten lost after leaving his crypt, everything on the outside changed. The entirety of Gallowmere was in ruin, replaced by wildlands and noisy machines.

And turkeys. One scampered across his foot as he furthered into the woods.

How could all of this be? Had he been too late to save Gallowmere from destruction? He hadn’t seen any sign of people either. Where had they all gone?

As if to answer his curiosity, a voice called out. It was ahead of him just past the trees. Sir Daniel was sure that this was his ticket to the answers he sought.

His armor clinked, running with legs outstretched to cover considerable distance. His vision bobbed up and down when a silhouetted figure came into view at the end of the forest. It was tall, but the shape was completely unrecognizable.

Brook, who entered the forest moments earlier, saw a glint of something deep in the woods ahead. His plea seemed to have been answered. That glint must be from Franky's armor reflecting the light.

“Franky!? It’s me, your friend Brook!” He swung his arms in a wide arc.

Sir Daniel saw the figure begin to wave. Could this be an ally? Another hero lost due to the mysterious evil surrounding them? He waved back in the same manner, sprinting through the woods in hopes he could join this compatriot.

“Yo ho ho ho!”

The glint of light took shape in the distance. An image shaded by trees, Brook saw its arms waving too. He waved faster in the excitement.

But as the trees thinned, Brook and Sir Daniel Fortesque came into full view of each other.

"You're not Franky-" Brook said, stopping on one side of the clearing. The armor glint he saw wasn't his friend, it was an armor cladded skeleton waving its arms at him.

Now out in the open, Sir Daniel saw the figure for what it is. A creature of the undead. A colorfully dressed skeleton. It hadn't been laughing but rather, screaming as it waved its arms.

They put their arms down.

“You’re like me--” Brook said. He stuttered over what to say next. It wasn't everyday he ran into a living skeleton such as himself.

“Viihel chherrure!" (Vile creature!) Sir Daniel said, despite his missing bottom jaw. He unsheathed his sword and pointed it at Brook.

The only undead Sir Daniel had the displeasure of meeting turned out to be enemies. And it was likely the same with this one.

“Oh, ah… Excuse me, but--” Brook said as he tried to appease the other before an attack. His next sentence fell short as the skeletal knight crossed the distance between them and swung.

Brook’s own sword swung through the air to match it.

“HOW INCONSIDERATE!”

This battle takes place in a forest clearing in the Horizon Zero Dawn universe. They have a 10-minute time limit until a Thunderjaw shows up in the background to attack both of them. The stage will periodically create boxes from the Crash Bandicoot series as well to give the feeling of the environment changing as the battle progresses.

IMG_9685-e1491167796563.jpg

2d9dhz8gacl21.jpg

I enjoyed the narrative very much. 

I'd like to think after the battle is over, they journey on together, having adventures.

The very descriptive passages bring these characters to life and make the setup easy to visualize.  Excellent flow that is not bogged down with unnecessary exposition.  Really good writing work here. Great job!

night flight GIF

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fox said:

I enjoyed the narrative very much. 

I'd like to think after the battle is over, they journey on together, having adventures.

The very descriptive passages bring these characters to life and make the setup easy to visualize.  Excellent flow that is not bogged down with unnecessary exposition.  Really good writing work here. Great job!

night flight GIF

Thank you so much! I was so self-conscious about the narrative. I wanted to write Daniel's portions of the story in the same style as the original game and his cutscenes from PSASBR, but I couldn't do the same for Brook. The original draft was very jarring and I had a hard time mixing the two. I think the humor I brought helped with that a lot.

And yes these two would totally hang out. They're some of my favorite characters in fiction and when I think of multiverse I think that these two would hang out a lot.

As for the fight, Brook has the advantage. He's faster and a skilled swordsman. Not to say Daniel isn't good on his own but he loses in a straight-up fight.

That is of course, unless Daniel turns him into a chicken...

Very good match, Russ. I know next to nothing about One Piece or MediEvil, but you seem to do a good job of getting into Sir Daniel's and Brook's heads. 

As for the match, judging by their feats and equipment, while Fortesque may have some powerful weapons, Brooks just seems more skilled and capable overall and should probably win this.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
CBUB Match Judge : 5 Stars x 2
CBUB Match Judge : 4 Stars x 2

FPA Calculation:
2 + 2 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 4 Total Votes
( (2 * 5) + (2 * 4) + (0 * 3) + (0 * 2) + (0 * 1) ) = 18 Total Stars Score
18 / 4 = 4.50 Total Rating

MATCH SCORE
Sir Dan Fortesque: 3
Brook: 9

6 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Very good match, Russ. I know next to nothing about One Piece or MediEvil, but you seem to do a good job of getting into Sir Daniel's and Brook's heads. 

As for the match, judging by their feats and equipment, while Fortesque may have some powerful weapons, Brooks just seems more skilled and capable overall and should probably win this.

Yeah I don't imagine there fight lasting a long time. I could see them exchanging blows and then Brook would cut Daniel's head off. They would laugh, then the Thunderjaw would show up lol