MATCH SCORE
Starkiller: 5
Wolverine: 3

Match 14100 Maxima (King Of Fighters) vs. Bryan Fury

JohnnyChany

GAINING AN EDGE: A MASSIVE FIGHTING GAME CROSSOVER

PART XXXII

lars-opening-screen.jpg

Leona Heidern and Whip discussed their options as they held Rolento at gunpoint in his Mad Gear training facility.

"What do we do now?" Whip asked.

"We complete our mission. We find Lars Alexandersson," answered Leona.

"Maybe we should recruit this guy. He certainly did a number on the colonel," Whip joked. (REF: ROLENTO F. SHUGERG VS. RALF JONES)

Ralf Jones glared at her.

A loud noise from the front of the building startled the Ikari Warriors. They quickly ran toward the entrance. Lars Alexandersson entered through the smashed doorway and threw Astaroth's axe in frustration. He had to summon an inner strength within himself that he hadn't displayed since he went toe to toe with his half-brother Kazuya, nephew Jin, and the monster, Azazel, but Lars was able to defeat the powerful golem. (REF: LARS ALEXANDERSSON VS. ASTAROTH) He ended the epic battle by decapitating Astaroth with his own axe. Lars noticed Leona and Whip approaching him and he lifted his fists to fight again.

"Lars Alexandersson?" said Whip.

"Who wants to know?" replied Lars.

"We were sent here to recruit you," Leona informed. (REF: KULA DIAMOND VS. ALISA BOSCONOVITCH) "When we arrived here we saw this horrific scene. What happened?"

"I'm still not sure. That monster out there wouldn't tell me. All I know is it massacred my entire unit. I lost a lot of good men and a lot of friends this day," Lars said with sadness.

"A monster? really? Where is he?" asked Whip.

"Outside in the field. Although it is just a shell now. A shell without a head," Lars remarked bitterly. "That is its axe over there, the tool it used to chop down all these men." Lars pointed to Astaroth's weapon that he had tossed.

"Incredible," stated Leona.

Lars looked at the two women with some suspicion. "Just what exactly did you come here to recruit me for?"

"We are presently engaged in battle with the Mishima Zaibatsu. They've already taken down one of our best men, (REF: BAYMAN VS. CLARK STILL) and we need help. The commander figured the enemy of our enemy would be a useful ally," Leona explained.

"The Mishima Zaibatsu, huh? I don't know how much assistance I can give now that I have lost my entire team," Lars lamented. He glanced over to his fallen comrades. "I will help you in any way that I can if you promise to help me find whoever sent that demonic creature."

"That sounds like an agreeable exchange," said Whip.

Leona nodded. Ralf Jones joined them at the front of the training facility clutching his injured arm.

"Rolento escaped. I tried to stop him, but...." Ralf finally noticed Lars. "I guess that doesn't matter as much because it looks like you found who we came here for."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bryan3.jpg

Heidern and Kula Diamond explored through the trashed apartment of K' and Maxima.

"You see, someone was definitely looking for something here," said Kula.

"Yes. It looks worse than I thought it would. The fact that you still haven't been contacted by either of them is also starting to concern me. This couldn't have happened at a worse time," said Heidern.

"How is your leg holding up?" asked Kula. (REF: KULA DIAMOND VS. ALISA BOSCONOVITCH)

"I probably won't be able to take those tango classes like I wanted to anytime soon, but other than that it is fine," said Heidern. "Didn't Maxima have some security cameras installed in this place?"

"Yes. I looked for them when I first came here, before I contacted you. But, I couldn't find anything. I am really worried something awful has happened. Did you call Blue Mary?" asked Kula.

"I did. She is busy on a mission in Mexico." (REF: BLUE MARY VS. ANNA WILLIAMS) Heidern massaged his temples. "There are seemingly too many major things happening at the same time to be a coincidence. Instead of focusing on all of them as individual issues, perhaps we need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture."

"What are you talking about?" asked Kula.

Suddenly Heidern's phone rang. He looked at with genuine shock before he answered it. "Maxima! Where have you been? We have been trying to contact you for a long time now. You have Kula over here scared half to death which I did not think was possible."

"So our little princess went to you. I figured she would. I thought she might be safer that way," Maxima answered.

"Where are you?" asked Heidern.

Maxima looked at the toppled cars next to him. "Judging by my surroundings, I would say stuck in a bizzare action movie."

"Is K' with you?"

"No. When I arrived home yesterday it was in shambles and K' was gone. Most of the security footage was useless because the cameras were damaged, but I did manage to pick up one image of a man with gray hair and a scar on his left eye," explained Maxima.

"A NESTS operative?" Heidern inquired.

"Negative. He was not in any of my NESTS databases. It took awhile, but I finally ID'd him. His name is Bryan Fury. His file might be damaged because it states that he was an IPO officer that was killed in a shoot out in Hong Kong. Yet, it also states that he has been competing regularly in the King of the Iron Fist tournament since his death."

"Intriguing. Have you located him yet?"

"Affirmative. I am closing in on the target as we speak. Once I identified him, he was not hard to find. He is not a quiet member of society," Maxima noted. "I just called because I did not want Kula to worry. I will find K', and I will bring him back."

"Good luck. If something arises that you can not handle just give us a call," said Heidern.

Maxima approached a street intersection draped in carnage and well lit by burning cars. At the center of the carnage was Bryan Fury with a blow torch strapped to his back and a gatling gun in his hands. Bryan laughed maniacally as he blew up another cop car. Maxima quickly calculated the best way to approach Bryan and disarm him. He tackled the mad man from behind and knocked away his gatling gun.

"What the hell!" shouted Bryan.

Maxima punched Bryan across the face and then pulled back his fist with surprise. "You're a cyborg!?!"

Bryan laughed as he touched his chin. "Judging from that punch, I would say so are you. It's always nice to meet a fellow metal man."

"What have you done with K'?" Maxima demanded.

"K'? Was that one of the men I shot at? Most of them ran away, those cowards," said Bryan.

"Don't be coy. You ransacked our apartment and took him," said Maxima.

"Oh, that guy." Bryan shrugged. "A little birdie in my ear told me that there was a guy in town who was powerful, but also very melancholy and sad because he was an unwanted clone with no purpose in his life. I sympathized. I figured I would go invite the guy to have some fun with me setting the world on fire and watching it burn."

"That is insane!"

"Maybe. But, I don't know where your friend is. When I came knocking, no one was home," Bryan insisted.

"My sensors indicate that you are leaving out important details," Maxima stated.

Bryan smiled. "That little ability of yours must be a huge hit at parties. Can you also double as a wine mixer?"

Maxima gritted his teeth. "Either you tell me where K' is or I will make you tell me where he is."

"Oh goodie, finally some decent action. This place was beginning to bore me."

I was wondering who you were going to put Bryan Fury up against. He's very tough, but Maxima has had chest beam that I'm sure will blow even Bryan away. Because of his long range capabilties, I'll vote fore Maxima.

By the way, you must have this arc planned out pretty well. All the details line up and the matches come even steadier than mine. I really respect that dedication to your reader fans.

Thanks, Leroy. I am having a lot of fun with this arc. My original goal was to get to 64 fighters and with this match-up I did, and there are still several pairings I have in mind before I get to a "2nd Round". Some were planned out way in advance, some have come to me as I've gone along, and some like the Lucky Glauber vs. Zack match I just added were recent inspiration. I just hope I can keep it interesting as I go through all these different characters.