Michelangelo (Mirage): 7
Ken Masters: 4

Guardian (Marvel Comics) vs. Captain Britain
MATCH SCORE
Guardian (Marvel Comics): 0
Captain Britain: 4

Match 18725 The Rocketeer vs. Roxy Rocket

Mercenaryblade

The lights of Los Angeles gleamed like a horde of fireflies in the twilight hours, far above the glistening metropolis the passenger zeppelin Aurora drifted through the clouds. The airship's props thrummed deeply as it continued its voyage across the states. It was a serene scene, but within the dirigible what was unfolding was anything but serene. 

In their finery the high class passengers and white uniformed crew were huddled together in fear. Before the crowd a redheaded woman stood, her face wore a dazzling smile as she aimed a pistol at the assembled crowd. She was dressed as an aviatrix with a leather flying helm and jacket, black leggings tucked into boots. She cut a striking figure and her proportions were generous enough to make any pinup artist salivate.    

“The sooner you fork over the cash and jewels the sooner you can go back to partying.” The redhead smirked at her wealthy captives. “Don’t you cats have insurance for everything anyway?” 

With grumbles the hostages complied with her demands depositing jewelry and cash into the pillowcase she held. Many stared at her gun, but none dared move, though they likely could overpower the lone female robber, none seemed willing to risk making the first move and catching a slug. 

Her robbery complete the woman strode to the cabin door of the zeppelin’s gondola, a twirl of the pistol and she holstered her firearm. 

“Been a pleasure robbing you ladies and gents.” 

A burly crewman began to stalk towards her. 

“Give it up girl. There’s nowhere to go but down, and you ain’t got a parachute.” 

“Wild, huh?” The girl smirked as she wrenched the cabin door open. A blast of wind swept through the cabin as the robber leapt out into the night. 

The wind whistled past her as the woman fell, the luminescent sea of the city rising to meet her. Despite the impending doom the woman still wore a grin. There was a roar as a cigar shaped object flew to meet the aviatrix. 

“Yeah!” the woman shouted as she stuck the landing and gripped the bicycle like handlebars of the rocket sled. 

Her elation was short lived as tracers suddenly arced over her head.

“Woah!” the woman cried out as she looked backwards. 

Two P26 Peashooters were diving past the Aurora and towards her. The single seat, open cockpit monoplanes were some of the newest and fastest in the Army Air Force’s inventory. Roxy smirked, not nearly fast enough though. The redhead dipped her rocket into a dive, the two pursuit planes followed after her. 

“Sorry flyboys! Going to have to do better to tango with me!”

Indeed the planes were falling behind and the city was getting closer. The woman let out a laugh before her eyes widened as something else soared to meet her, coming from dead ahead. A flying man with a jetpack. A well known figure around LA, the Rocketeer, his exploits were legend. 

“Mmm, Roxy likes!” the woman exclaimed as she veered off, the Rocketeer giving chase. 

Cliff Seccord, ace pilot, and the man known as the Rocketeer had heard the distress calls from the zeppelin liner. Roxy Rocket had performed several high stakes aerial thefts in just a few weeks time, including robbing an airmail plane. Each time Cliff had been somewhere where he couldn’t do anything about it. But this time. This time he was prepared and ready for her. 

Or so he thought. 

Just over the roofs of the apartment buildings the two rocket powered pilots flew, Roxy would roll or pitch away just as The Rocketeer came close to grabbing her. Neither spoke to another, for even shouting would be impossible over the din of their engines. But Roxy wore a smirk the whole time, much to Seccords ire. 

Ciff saw a chance and made a pass for the aviatrix who managed to duck the grasping attempt. The Rocketeer attempted to correct his course but found he was too slow as he suddenly found himself plowing through a cigarette billboard. 

The hero shook his helmet as he finally stopped tumbling about, pulling up just over a flat roof where he hovered. A look to the east and Cliff could see his quarry was long gone, the short mishap was all she needed to escape. 

Swearing into his helmet the Rocketeer changed course for home. He was going to get that dame.

Cliff stumbled through the door of the modest house he shared with ‘Peevy’ the old crotchety mechanic and roommate. The old man was fiddling with a radio when Cliff made his way in, helmet tucked under his arm. 

“You catch her?” Peevy asked.

“Does it look like I caught her?” Cliff replied as he took his Mauser pistol from its holster, verified the safety was on and slid it into the drawer of a dresser. 

The old timer nodded as smooth jazz played from the radio. 

“Want a bourbon?” Peevy offered. 

“Sure Peev, anything for this lousy headache of mine.” Seccord was sulking, he hated it when his foes managed to outwit him. “I got a good look at her contraption though Peev.” 

“Yeah?” Peevy asked handing the pilot a glass. 

“It looked real Flash Gordon, a rocket with motorcycle handlebars.” Cliff grunted. 

“They don’t call her Roxy Rocket for nothing.” 

Cliff scowled, “Of for the love of- Is that what they’re calling her?” 

“That is what they’re calling her Rocketeer.” Peevy replied sardonically as he eased himself into a recliner. 

The music on the radio stopped as a news bulletin began. “It’s the top of the hour, and here is your news at a glance.” 

The two men leaned forward. 

“Notorious sky burglar Roxy Rocket has struck again, this time robbing passengers of the Dirigible liner Aurora. Despite attempts from the army air force, and The Rocketeer the thief absconded with a sizable profit.” 

Cliff scowled. 

“In other news the regional air races are set to start on this Tuesday… 

Cliff jumped out of the seat. “That’s it!”

Peevy frowned at the younger man, “What’s gotten into you boy? The GeeBee ain’t ready to compete in that event.” 

Cliff shook his head. “No, that’s where she’ll be. That’s where she’ll strike next! Call it a gut feeling!” 

Peevy scratched his chin, “You might be right. But then again….” the old man shrugged. “Ah, what the hell I don’t have any better ideas. I’m no detective.” 

Some miles away in a seemingly abandoned hangar Roxy was wiping the grease from her hands after doing some tuneups on her rocket sled. It was state of the art, tuned to radio waves she transmitted it would always be there to catch her. Far more reliable than most the men in her life had been. 

Roxy kicked her boots off and sprawled in her cot, her thoughts turned to the nights excitement. The heist, the chase, oh the chase! She had hoped her antics would grab the attention of the mysterious Rocketeer, and she was right! 

"Oh, whoever you are Rocketeer you make a girl swoon. What a dance we danced up there in the skies.” she grinned widely as she thought about it he gaze going to the various news clippings, and memorabilia she had collected of the Rocketeer. “Oh, you and I are going to have so much fun! See you at the races flyboy!” 

-Can the Rocketeer defeat this thrill-seeking femme fatale? Or has he met his match? What new thrills are in store? Join us next installment friends for more ‘Gripping Air Adventures!’ Now a word from our sponsors. 

I like the matchup. Roxy is a stuntwoman wheras the Rocketeer is a bit more of a battle hardened force so I give him the win.

Edit: Not rating as we are head to head here.

On 12/12/2022 at 4:34 PM, Twogunkid said:

I like the matchup. Roxy is a stuntwoman wheras the Rocketeer is a bit more of a battle hardened force so I give him the win.

Thanks Twogun. I thought this would make for a fun pulpy tale

Good entry, Merc. :) The Rocketeer and Roxy definitely make for a good rivalry, and the set-up reflects that very well. 

Gotta think on this one, especially since I've haven't watched The Rocketeer yet. 

On 12/12/2022 at 4:34 PM, Twogunkid said:

I don't know, man: there are relatively few people rating and commenting as it is (the last three entries in the last challenge only received two ratings each, for instance), and there's nothing shown in the tourney topic against it. 

9 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Good entry, Merc. :) The Rocketeer and Roxy definitely make for a good rivalry, and the set-up reflects that very well. 

Gotta think on this one, especially since I've haven't watched The Rocketeer yet. 

Thanks DS! I thought it would make for a fun story.