Brock Samson: 4
Evil Ash: 0

Starkiller vs. Wolverine
MATCH SCORE
Starkiller: 5
Wolverine: 3

Enter Paradiso

Peypeypeypey

Mercury let out a light sigh. "Well, I guess as long as the Heathens won't be able to murder people, then mission one will be fine. I still don't think it's really top priority," he looks around the table to his new teammates, "but I'm pretty outnumbered on the votes here."

"Are you giving us any equipment?" he asks Nicolas and Cordova. "I don't mean like mechanized suits and tanks, but maybe radios and first aid supplies?"

"Radios might be a bit much. Mostly because who carries those in public? If you have a cell phone or something that might work better-no one's going to be suspicious looking at their cell phone." Pointed out Henry, much more in his element. He added with a critical eye.

"Also, I'd suggest plainclothes work for this. We go in as vigilantes, we'll be treated as them and our target might be spooked. So maybe half as backup, the other half as contact?"

"I have a smartphone, and though I'm disappointed by not being able to go in costume, I can do Plainclothes. I even have a blonde wig, because believe it or not, this is my natural color now..."

On 9/17/2020 at 7:35 PM, Bergy_Berg said:

"Are you giving us any equipment?" he asks Nicolas and Cordova. "I don't mean like mechanized suits and tanks, but maybe radios and first aid supplies?"

"I can provide you with a cell phone, if you would like." Guerra chimes in. "We also have first aid kits if there's anything specifically you need, although remember you'll need to travel light for this mission."

Cordova makes her way towards the door of the War Room. "You all seem to have this in order. If you need anything from me, let AHRI know and I'll see what I can do. Good luck, team. Try not to make a mess of your first mission."

With that, Cordova walks out of the room. "Right then," Guerra says, "We'll need to make a plan of attack before sending you on your way. Would all of you like to go in civilian clothes at once? Would you like to go in groups? Or would you like to send half of you in plain clothing, while the rest wait nearby in hero costumes in case things go south? We'll want to make sure we're all on the same page before we send you off."

"I'm down for half and half." Henry decided immediately, considering it was his first suggestion.

"Plainsclothes would mean we could talk without the mark being spooked, with costumed backup buying us time to switch if we need an escape. Though who will be who is the question. Personally speaking, I'd prefer to be backup-no one generally sees me unless I want them and it's a skill I've worked hard on....But I also have experience with this sort of meeting. So I'll volunteer for plainsclothes if we go that route."

"Wow, so all of you were for going into the bar and doing this, but now that we actually have to do it there's only one of you with any real conviction? I thought heroes backed up their big talk."

Mercury leans back in his chair, one of his legs bouncing quickly enough to tear part of the seat cushion. "Other than Ray you fucks aren't filling me with a lot of confidence." Another deep sigh, as he was beginning to feel the stress well up inside him. He reached into his pocket and firmly grasped a small charm.

11 hours ago, Bergy_Berg said:

"Wow, so all of you were for going into the bar and doing this, but now that we actually have to do it there's only one of you with any real conviction? I thought heroes backed up their big talk."

Mercury leans back in his chair, one of his legs bouncing quickly enough to tear part of the seat cushion. "Other than Ray you fucks aren't filling me with a lot of confidence." Another deep sigh, as he was beginning to feel the stress well up inside him. He reached into his pocket and firmly grasped a small charm.

Henry had no idea what he was talking about.

But he felt it deserved some response as he said calmly. "We get one shot at this, not just for hunting a rat but also setting the standard for how we're going to be perceived. Now we could go in, full costume and just kidnap him. Between your speed and Voyds portals we actually stand a great chance. But then what?" He turned to face him as he kept going, weaving the tale as he kept on.

"How much do you think he'd look on any of us with any sort of fondness, more so if we decided torture was the best way to make him talk? Even if we didn't, the fact we took them will be resented and the perception of it will taint them among their contacts. Unless-and this is a wild idea, we ensure that their anonymous nature remains just that and create a good first impression for the times we might need them again. That's the real world, where people don't think beating up on a problem is enough to make it stop."

It was why he earned his P.I. liscense, why he considered himself a detective first and a vigilante second. He'd fought before, but that was never his goal. It always felt good but it didn't nothing about the issues that drove people to crime in the first place nor stopped the real villains untouched by the law. For every petty thug hungry and angry, there was a kingpin fat and goading them on. For every addict, lost in the throes of habit there was a dealer who took even their souls(in one case, literally) and walked away secure. Well, not so long as he was here.

He did extend an olive branch though as he added. "Don't see why we can't do both though. I'll be frank,this mission is going to be delicate and it seems like quite a few don't do that. Kids right...We do need folks willing to join in to talk. But we don't need everyone and some look like they prefer a straight fight. Could we do both missions at once? Send me and one more to the bar and the rest beat the shit out of that gang?" He looked to Guerra in curious expectation.

"It was pretty clear from the mission dossier that we weren't meant to go in guns blazing. I'm just surprised that everyone else wanted to do this first, but most of you don't actually want to go in and take care of this.

I knew that I wouldn't be contributing much here, but I didn't act like it was the first thing I wanted to do either. And you're not gonna pussy out on fighting that gang either. You and whoever else wants to talk to this Rat should go take care of it, then we can handle the gang or whatever next."

Ray frowned at the direction the conversation was taking. 

" I'll talk to the bartender, Henry can back me up, hopefully making sure I don't do something really dumb. Remember, the Paradise lost gang likes to hang out there, so if something does go wrong, costumed backup would be appreciated. Henry and I will try and negotiate bout finding the Rat and maybe even checking on the former gang leader of the Paradise lost guys. Outside of that, try to keep your cool with each other. If we can't even have a strategy talk without losing it, we won't last long on the streets as a group. Henry can tell you that if you don't believe me."

"It was not a lack of conviction, but playing to my strengths. Being able to get people into the fray if one arose." Voyd rebutted.

"But, I could go into the place separately, watch over Henry and Rey, and if things go bad, portal out to bring the others in, except Mercury of course, he obviously doesn't need speed since he runs his mouth as fast as his legs."

• Haha 1

Inwardly, Henry sighed.

Give a kid powers and they think the solution is to punch everything away. There was a reason there were more metahuman gangs then there were people who could actually make a lasting solution-Henry hoped to change that. Thankless as it was and less glamorous than some first page spread, punching some villain out on the newspaper it would only ever be a symptom. Violence just begat more violence and it was always, inevitably the lowest on the totem pole who'd pay for it.

Desperation and frustration made criminals and powers gave them the ability to make the world pay for both. One needed only to look at the City itself and its current state for that much. More on topic he added, with an innate compliment.

"Ideally I'd want either Mercury or Voyd with me. In a crowded club, full of people and potential violence the both of you are best suited to deal with things in a non-lethal fashion. Especially if guns are drawn. Last thing I think we can all agree on is this going south and our first public appearance to be a press conference for some dead person at his bachelor party or something while we were there."

He then added.

"Not that I'd say no to some muscle Ray." His lip quirked as he added. "That and it's nice to know we have some folks who won't jump the gun at the first hurdle we face-most of the time, asking nicely won't work which means the universal language."

He then spoke aloud in curiosity to their handler.

"How much can we take in bribe money?"

8 hours ago, Hugo Fowl said:

"How much can we take in bribe money?"

Guerra surveys the conversation intently, like a father letting his kids fight a bit before breaking it up. Henry's question catches his attention. "Well, Master Cordova has more than enough money to buy any information on the market, so long as it's useful. Unfortunately for us, The Rat is a notorious, shall we say, obtuse person to deal with. From our intel, money is never at the forefront of his mind, so bribery might not work on the likes of him. Furthermore, Master Cordova may be a bit hesitant to give you a large sum of money in such a potentially dangerous area." He pauses to think for a moment. "However, some financial leverage may help immensely, if only to show that we mean business. Normally, this is the type of thing I would clear with Master Cordova, but if it's for the good of the mission, then I see no reason to deny the request."

He extracts a large wad of bills and places it on the table in front of him. "Shall we say $10,000? For mission expenses, new clothes if you need them, and a substantial investment in this character?"

5 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

Guerra surveys the conversation intently, like a father letting his kids fight a bit before breaking it up. Henry's question catches his attention. "Well, Master Cordova has more than enough money to buy any information on the market, so long as it's useful. Unfortunately for us, The Rat is a notorious, shall we say, obtuse person to deal with. From our intel, money is never at the forefront of his mind, so bribery might not work on the likes of him. Furthermore, Master Cordova may be a bit hesitant to give you a large sum of money in such a potentially dangerous area." He pauses to think for a moment. "However, some financial leverage may help immensely, if only to show that we mean business. Normally, this is the type of thing I would clear with Master Cordova, but if it's for the good of the mission, then I see no reason to deny the request."

He extracts a large wad of bills and places it on the table in front of him. "Shall we say $10,000? For mission expenses, new clothes if you need them, and a substantial investment in this character?"

"That should do it." Henry said swiftly as he added for the benefit of the rest.

"Much as I'd love for him to share out of the goodness of his heart, this should help immensely." He then took the cash and split it up, taking $3000 from the pile as he spoke.

"This should be enough considering what we want. Not that we're gonna offer all of it at once, but a little negotiation should go a long way. If you need anything else, nows the time."

Ray nodded as Henry decided to step up and do the talking. He generally approved of the direction this was forming up on now. 

"If you want to do the talking now Henry, no skin off my nose. Before you didn't want to be seen at all. Spent a lot of years living off the street. a couple of points of advice. Take Voyd in with you, Voyd, find a nice enough dress and be Henry's girl. Do it right and no one will pay you much attention, won't measure you up as a threat. I have a couple of spots to get okay used clothing. Blood washed out nice, stab wounds repaired and all that. I am going to sit amongst the gang that likes to hang out at that bar, off to the side a bit and see what I can hear about their former gang leader. You know, the one we think snatched up that former superhero. I do think it would be a mistake to go in to bust heads. That bartender could make life easier as a source of information. You bust up his bar, he won't ever talk to you again. Just a thought. I am not going into this to be muscle Henry, I'm going in as a street guy. Low key, under the radar. Bowling shirt and jeans, in and out. I don't think many of that gang would respond well to me trying to bribe them. That notion would make me stick out like a sore thumb. I'll take one hundred dollars for my new used bowling shirt, jeans and a couple of drinks.