Steve (Minecraft): 2
Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Enter Paradiso

Peypeypeypey

A message had been sent out to each of you, beaconing you towards the location of the headquarters of the new hero agency. A bright neon sign read “Heroes for Hire” as you each individually make your way into the building, a fingerprint scan allowing access to the high-tech building. It wasn’t in an especially good part of town, but it was far enough from the domain of any of the local gangs and secure enough that it could hold off any force that could reasonably have been expected to attack it. 

As you enter, a well-dressed butler bows to you and shows you the way to “The War Room,” as he called it. The room was massive, a cavernous room with ceilings like an auditorium and a single large, ovular table in the middle of the room, a dozen or so chairs placed evenly around it. The top of the table displayed a holographic image of the city, updating in real time with bright red lights as crimes were reported and heroes dispatched. 

The butler stands at the front of the room, bidding everyone take a seat around the table. “Master Cordova will be with us shortly. In the meantime, perhaps some introductions are in order. My name is Nicolas Guerra. I am in charge of running the day-to-day activities of this facility as Master Cordova is busy with hero work or the endless bureaucracy of the city.” He bowed politely towards the new lot of heroes before him. “I’m sure Master Cordova will be more than pleased to see so many ambitious young heroes have answered the call we sent out. She is busy in a meeting with the mayor at the moment, but as soon as she is done I’ll inform her of your presence and she‘ll be joining us.”

“Master Cordova has informed me that her meeting with the mayor is running over. She may be a bit late.” A female robotic voice called over the intercom.

“Thank you, AHRI.”

“Of course, Mr. Guerra.” 

“That is our artificial intelligence. The Artificial Hero Remote Intelligence. You may call her AHRI. She handles much of the administrative duties remotely, and is in charge of the automatic defense. If you ever find yourself in need of any information, AHRI is very knowledgeable about most things in the city. I have no doubt that she could be of much assistance.”

The robotic voice chimed in again. “I have been calibrated to recognize each of your voices. I am pleased to meet you. If you require any assistance, simply speak my name followed by a command. I am programmed to assist in all matters of the physical upkeep and defense of the ‘Heroes for Hire’ headquarters. I can also quickly search police databases and the internet for any information you may need of me. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.”

“Thank you, AHRI.” Guerra bows, though strictly as a formality as AHRI has no physical presence. “Now, you know about us, and you know that you’re here to serve as the first class of hero recruits for our fledgling organization. However, we have yet to get to know each of you, personally. What say we go around the table and introduce ourselves, no?”

"Hi, My superhero name is Voyd, and what I can do... is this."  She picked up a coffee mug from the table and tossed it in the air. Through a series of portals she 'juggles' the mug all the way up to where Guerra is, it landing in his hands as it falls from the last portal.

"I originally was an associate of Doctor Neptune's. We worked together for two years before my accident. During one of the trials of his teleporter technology, I was caught up in a temporal field that transported me about fifty miles... and fifty-seven years into the future. I arrived after my accident in 2020, and have been doing the hero thing for four of those years. My powers were endowed to me because of the accident, and I spent the first year here getting used to the culture shock - woo was there! - and mastering my ability. Also, my eyes are pretty good and I process visual information much faster than most people, even some Empowered folks... So that's me... Voyd. I'm not sure if we share our secret IDs here, probably because I mean Mr. Guerra and AHRI knew how to find us all... uh... sorry, rambling."

She sat back down again and folded her hands in front of her.

voyd.jpg

"Oh man, time travel and teleportation, that's pretty cool there lady, I'm digging the hair too." He said, leaning back as he reached to Voyd's power and introduction.

"Me? Oh I control plasma, I can fly around and stuff, make swords, whatever. My name's Bastille by the way, you might've heard of me. Except whatever you saw on Herogram, don't trust that, fake news."

Holding up his hand, he'd flick a small purple ball of plasma between his fingers, like one would do with an ordinary coin.

"Purple's my color I guess, or pink...Purple Pink? Beats me. No tragic backstory here, just lived a normal childhood and decided to use my powers for good, boring, I know. I've been doing this hero stuff for years, quietly though. Of course, I wasn't making much money out of it, that's why I'm here now."

• Thanks 1

Ray came into the building wondering what to expect. In some ways, he felt like he had finally hit it big time. High security building, an A.I. Fancy tech everywhere. He sat down at the fancy table and watched the two who had come before him. Flashy outfits, colored hair, fancy powers. He had doubts about fitting in. Still, he was here, might as well follow through and play nice. When the first two finished, he went ahead and started. His outfit look very clean, almost out of the box new

"Hi there, I'm Ray. People on the street have started to call me El Machina. Strong, tough... I picked up this outfit from a guy I heard about who works out of an abandoned miniature golf place. I traded some stuff a couple of Acolitos were carrying. They weren't going to need any of it anymore. This all looks impossibly fancy to me. Spent all my years on the streets. There are still innocent people trying to live out there. I try and help them."

• Like 1

A business card was slid over to the center of the table, from a chair that most would have sworn had no one in it...Much less in the room.

As to the figure, he looked out of place briefly as he waved to everyone and they would see the following.

A native american looking supermodel, hair tied back in a ponytail as he smiled sheepishly. His outfit was a mix of red and blacks, that while intimidating at first on second glance looked made up from clothing ordered online. Around his neck, a black face mask was pulled down to reveal his features in full. 

"Hello everyone. I'm Henry! Er, alias 'Huntsman.' I'm a private investigator, got my license after coming to the big city. I don't have powers...Like, at all. Just skills and knowledge about the strange and unusual. Oh and umm...My spirit guide." He held his right arm up and pulled down his sleeve, showing a serpent tattoo coiled around his arm that looked briefly like it was moving.

"Basically I just call on my guide for aid and I summon a whip thathuntsandkillsmonsters." He said rapidly before clapping his hands and pulling his mask back up.

"I know I don't have the best reputation for credibility in the community, but well...I am skilled. Hope to know you all better!"

• Haha 1

In the seat nearest the door is a figure adorned head to toe in nice looking athletic clothes with a prominent swoosh logo, every bit of skin covered by black camo sportswear and his eyes shielded by tinted sports goggles. He shifts uncomfortably in the chair. 

“Hi. I go by Mercury. Uhhh... I’m really fucking fast, and I guess that’s why I got invited here. *ahem* I guess I’m kinda new to the whole hero thing, but uh, definitely ready to give it a go.” 

Mercury's foot starts tapping, a pair of Jordans bouncing at an alarmingly quick rate. “Is this a team thing? I haven’t really worked on a team before.”

8 hours ago, Bergy_Berg said:

In the seat nearest the door is a figure adorned head to toe in nice looking athletic clothes with a prominent swoosh logo, every bit of skin covered by black camo sportswear and his eyes shielded by tinted sports goggles. He shifts uncomfortably in the chair. 

“Hi. I go by Mercury. Uhhh... I’m really fucking fast, and I guess that’s why I got invited here. *ahem* I guess I’m kinda new to the whole hero thing, but uh, definitely ready to give it a go.” 

Mercury's foot starts tapping, a pair of Jordans bouncing at an alarmingly quick rate. “Is this a team thing? I haven’t really worked on a team before.”

"Language! Why I never..."  She looked over Mercury blinking "...although I do admit if you can tap your foot fourty-six times a second like you are now that is indeed very fast. And if it were not a team effort I doubt we would have all been summoned here and asked to introduce ourselves."

5 hours ago, Bergy_Berg said:

“Is this a team thing? I haven’t really worked on a team before.”

"I've only ever worked alone too till now." Henry said glumly as he added. "My profession isn't one for large groups of people and well, with me as I am? I had to rely more on sneaking and striking for hit and run tactics. I have no idea how that's going to measure up with, well..Teleporting or flight."

10 hours ago, Bergy_Berg said:

"Hi. I go by Mercury. Uhhh... I’m really fucking fast, and I guess that’s why I got invited here. *ahem* I guess I’m kinda new to the whole hero thing, but uh, definitely ready to give it a go.” 

"Mercury? You look more like a Speedbald to me! Can you do this?"

Bastille rose from his seat, still maintaining the seated position as he began to levitate around the room.

"It's not as fun when I'm drink though, I'll admit."

Ray looked at the others with increasing discomfort. 

"Look, perhaps this isn't for me. I don't fly, I don't move particularly fast, and I'm not colorful. Not my style. Strong and tough is probably not enough "

He gets up to leave slowly. 

" I wish you all good luck."

12 minutes ago, Gands02 said:

Ray looked at the others with increasing discomfort. 

"Look, perhaps this isn't for me. I don't fly, I don't move particularly fast, and I'm not colorful. Not my style. Strong and tough is probably not enough "

As Rey prepares the leave, Nicolas calls out to him. "Mr. Ray. I can assume you that Master Cordova would not have spent all the time and resources scouting and inviting you if she did not have the utmost confidence in your abilities as a crime-fighter. If you choose to leave, then we will not stop you. But this is an opportunity that many in the community would give up much to get. And you will be rewarded handsomely for your work."

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Gands02 said:

A couple quick portals later and Voyd is standing right next to Ray. "Are you kidding? I'm not strong, even for a normal person, and I got a neat costume that can take a little punishment but I'm not tough at all. Alone, the best I can do is, like catch small time bad guys and sometimes kinda dumb ones... But with a group, oh man what we could do together! Like, say there was a bad guy waay over there. It'd take you a while to get over there, With my portals, you could be right there, dishing out the beatdown that I could never manage to do by myself. You gotta give this a chance, Ray."

She took off her mask, not like it made a lot of difference, it was just an eye mask, and put it in a pocket on a belt around her waist.  Sticking out her hand, she tried again. "Hi, I'm Karen, and I may be a dorky scientist but I'd like to be your friend."

@Gands02

49 minutes ago, Bergy_Berg said:

OOC: Literally entire body covered, no skin showing. At all. Head completely covered.

OOC: I pictured like, a morphsuit or something, my bad!

IC:

Floating back down to his seat, he'd call over to Ray.

"Yeah dude, listen to blue hair and the butler, the more the merrier right? Punching stuff is cool too, even the supermodel guy with the whip can take out the baddies, like some sort of archeologist from a movie franchise or something."

• Like 1

Just now, Peypeypeypey said:

As Rey prepares the leave, Nicolas calls out to him. "Mr. Ray. I can assume you that Master Cordova would not have spent all the time and resources scouting and inviting you if she did not have the utmost confidence in your abilities as a crime-fighter. If you choose to leave, then we will not stop you. But this is an opportunity that many in the community would give up much to get. And you will be rewarded handsomely for your work."

That actually answered Henry's next question and he brightened up a bit more.

"So what kind of salary are we looking at? Depending on the pay, I could just fold up my agency into this one and work out from here. Because I got bills to pay when I'm not on the clock."

Just now, OMFG said:

Floating back down to his seat, he'd call over to Ray.

"Yeah dude, listen to blue hair and the butler, the more the merrier right? Punching stuff is cool too, even the supermodel guy with the whip can take out the baddies, like some sort of archeologist from a movie franchise or something."

He looked briefly uncomfortable as he spoke.

"Like I said I'm just a dude with a whip. My best trick really is this."

And before everyone's eyes, he was suddenly gone.

Just now, michalecs said:

She took off her mask, not like it made a lot of difference, it was just an eye mask, and put it in a pocket on a belt around her waist.  Sticking out her hand, she tried again. "Hi, I'm Karen, and I may be a dorky scientist but I'd like to be your friend."

"Anyone who can punch out guys like Balboa's lovechild is good in my book!"

And suddenly, he was opposite Ray as if he was always there.

• Like 1

Ray looks at everyone as they talk. He seems to be considering what they say carefully. He does take Karens hand, grasping it gently and shaking it. 

"All right folks, remember to be patient with one another, I guess this is not in my comfort zone and maybe not for some of you either. Been in the worst parts of town all of my life, so this place and some of you seem really high class and fancy to me. Thanks for trying to make me feel welcome. "

With that he quietly sits back down.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gands02 said:

Ray looks at everyone as they talk. He seems to be considering what they say carefully. He does take Karens hand, grasping it gently and shaking it. 

"All right folks, remember to be patient with one another, I guess this is not in my comfort zone and maybe not for some of you either. Been in the worst parts of town all of my life, so this place and some of you seem really high class and fancy to me. Thanks for trying to make me feel welcome. "

With that he quietly sits back down.

She returned his handshake heartily, smiling.

"Jeepers, Mister, that must have been rough. I don't consider myself high class, especially since the jump. I am currently working at a pharmacy because it's taking awhile to get all of my degrees renewed and I could pass the pharmacy tech test practically in my sleep- Ooh, sorry rambling again." Karen said, walking alongside Rey until he sat down. Blinking, she giggled, covering her mouth then portaled back to her chosen chair, then fished out her mask to put back on.

• Like 1

"Reserve man myself." Said Henry with a faint, bittersweet smile before he walked to his seat and added.

"So since it does look like serious money has been poured into this, am all for it if it means a steady paycheck. So what do have to do?"

• Like 1

As Rey sits back down, Nicolas straightens up and clears his throat. "Now then, shall we proceed with out briefing?"

21 hours ago, Hugo Fowl said:

That actually answered Henry's next question and he brightened up a bit more.

"So what kind of salary are we looking at? Depending on the pay, I could just fold up my agency into this one and work out from here. Because I got bills to pay when I'm not on the clock."

"In terms of payment, Master Cordova has set aside a handsome sum of money for this project. As a starting bonus, and to thank you for your time and cooperation in meeting with us today, Master Cordova has prepared $5,000 to be deposited into each of your bank accounts. This should be arriving very shortly." Nixolas looks around the room quickly. "If any of you are off-the-grid, we can make arrangements for the payment to be made in cash." 

"As far as a regular salary, Master Cordova has set aside $500,000 for this team's initial trial run. This money will be given out in increments as you complete tasks throughout the city. The difficulty and risk of the task will dictate how much money is given, to give you each an incentive to work together on the most pressing tasks in the city. On top of the regular salary, this facility will be open to you at all times of the day. There are private quarters for you each to sleep in, should you choose, and each of those come with state-of-the-art amenities and a personalized AHRI assistant."

"As a final perk, Master Cordova would like me to assure you that she is a well-connected woman in this city. She is more than willing to help resolve any personal or professional matter that you may have in the interest of focusing your efforts on this team. She has a personal team of scientists, researchers, and investigators, and knows many people in the upper ring of the government. Should there be any issue, you may relay it to me, and I will see to it that the bulk of Master Cordova's resources get put to it."

1 hour ago, Hugo Fowl said:

"So since it does look like serious money has been poured into this, am all for it if it means a steady paycheck. So what do have to do?"

"Rest assured that Master Cordova is making a substantial investment with this team. If she simply wanted robbers stopped or petty criminals off the street, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of other prospective heroes she could call up to fix these mundane problems. Master Cordova sees the potential in each of you to serve this city on missions of incredible importance and risk. The exact nature of those missions will become clear in good time, once you have earned our trust. In the meantime, she has a few missions set out for you in order to help integrate you all into a cohesive unit and practice using your powers together. Do we have any further questions before we proceed?" 

• Like 1

"Yeah. Where do we begin?"

Steady pay, a prospect of actually making a difference and some legitimation after that interview all wrapped up sounded just fine to Henry.

• Like 1

"I agree with Hellsing over there, when do we punch the bad guys? Also, these rooms come with a minibar, or do we have to buy our own drinks? What's the wifi password? Can we bring chicks into our rooms? Do we have a swimming pool? Also.... actually nope that's all the questions I have."

Questions asked, he'd lean back into his chair, making tiny plasma arcs between his fingers to pass the time. He did actually care about stopping crime, although this was the first time he'd actually work with a team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peypeypeypey said:

"In terms of payment, Master Cordova has set aside a handsome sum of money for this project. As a starting bonus, and to thank you for your time and cooperation in meeting with us today, Master Cordova has prepared $5,000 to be deposited into each of your bank accounts. This should be arriving very shortly." Nixolas looks around the room quickly. "If any of you are off-the-grid, we can make arrangements for the payment to be made in cash." 

"As far as a regular salary, Master Cordova has set aside $500,000 for this team's initial trial run. This money will be given out in increments as you complete tasks throughout the city. The difficulty and risk of the task will dictate how much money is given, to give you each an incentive to work together on the most pressing tasks in the city. On top of the regular salary, this facility will be open to you at all times of the day. There are private quarters for you each to sleep in, should you choose, and each of those come with state-of-the-art amenities and a personalized AHRI assistant."

"As a final perk, Master Cordova would like me to assure you that she is a well-connected woman in this city. She is more than willing to help resolve any personal or professional matter that you may have in the interest of focusing your efforts on this team. She has a personal team of scientists, researchers, and investigators, and knows many people in the upper ring of the government. Should there be any issue, you may relay it to me, and I will see to it that the bulk of Master Cordova's resources get put to it."

"Wowzers! That's, well, adjusting for inflation... no, it's still a lot of money!" Karen did the math in her head. "Since I'm renting a hotel room month-to-month right now... kinda hard to get a solid job when officially you're 87 years old according to your documents, I'd really like a place here. And... I'd love to continue my research on where Doctor Neptune went wrong, and how to fix it... now what you mention it, sir."

• Like 1

Not unlike some of the others, the money mentioned seemed to Ray a staggering figure. He didn't think he'd ever had that much money all at once. He'd have to get some cash to old Doc Heller. He still owed him for the snazzy tear resistant suit. It was hard to hold himself in, the excitement and prospect of having a superhero life, rather than some dude giving the gangs grief every night. His own room! He didn't have to search the local ruins for squat space any more. There were a couple of people at the homeless camps he'd like to pay back, taking him in and treating him like a human being at risk of angering the gangs. The old man who had taught him how to box those years ago, in the wreckage of the old gym the man used to own. Ray suddenly realized that he hadn't ever been as alone as he thought he was. He was going to make sure some of those people would have an easier time now. He hardly heard the others speaking in their own excitement. 

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 4:02 PM, OMFG said:

"I agree with Hellsing over there, when do we punch the bad guys? Also, these rooms come with a minibar, or do we have to buy our own drinks? What's the wifi password? Can we bring chicks into our rooms? Do we have a swimming pool? Also.... actually nope that's all the questions I have."

Questions asked, he'd lean back into his chair, making tiny plasma arcs between his fingers to pass the time. He did actually care about stopping crime, although this was the first time he'd actually work with a team.

"You punch villains later. The rooms do not come with a minibar, but there is a large selection of alcohol in the building which can be taken to your room. The wifi password will be provided once you have settled in. You cannot bring in anyone who is not registered in the system. There is no swimming pool, but there is a nearby gymnasium that you will have access to that comes equipped with a pool."

On 9/2/2020 at 10:21 PM, michalecs said:

"Wowzers! That's, well, adjusting for inflation... no, it's still a lot of money!" Karen did the math in her head. "Since I'm renting a hotel room month-to-month right now... kinda hard to get a solid job when officially you're 87 years old according to your documents, I'd really like a place here. And... I'd love to continue my research on where Doctor Neptune went wrong, and how to fix it... now what you mention it, sir."

"Master Cordova has expressed some interest in you working in our labs at some point in the future, but rest assured, she needs you first and foremost as a hero working to clean up the streets."

On 9/2/2020 at 3:55 PM, Hugo Fowl said:

"Yeah. Where do we begin?"

Steady pay, a prospect of actually making a difference and some legitimation after that interview all wrapped up sounded just fine to Henry.

As Nicolas opens his mouth to answer, AHRI's voice echoes over the intercom. "Master Cordova has finished her meeting. She is on her way to the room Mr. Guerra." Just as AHRI finishes speaking, the door on the far side of the room opens, revealing the imposing figure of a woman who stomps to the head of the table. She look serious and discerning, shoulder-length black hair, sharp facial features, and a perpetual scowl on her face. However, the most noticeable feature of her face is the massive, hand-shaped area of scarred flesh originating from the empty socket of her right eye. The right half of her lips are singed off, some of the hair towards her forehead is noticeably missing, and her right ear is mostly gone. She wears a business suit, although discerning eyes notice that her suit appears to have metal lining the neck and shoulders, extending down to the cuff of her sleeves. She stands at the top of the table for several moments, scanning across the faces of everyone there, as if trying to read a book in a foreign language. Her face is still and hard to read. After a moment of taking stock of the room, she spoke in a raspy, strained voice.

"My name is Sienna Cordova." She introduces curtly. She stands with her hands folded behind her back, slowly making eye contact with her good eye to anyone who will match her gaze. "I have called you here for a simple reason: the gangs rule too much of this city. Of my city. I need them chased off. Killed, if need be. The police, the new mayor, and all the other professional heroes don't have the guts to travel into the mouth of the beast. They want to slowly take back the city, one goddamn building at a time. To hell with that. The longer we wait, the more innocent men, women, and children die on the outskirts of our city. We need to strike at the heart of this infection. Once you're properly trained and working as a team, we'll strike at the major gangs of the city. Once we topple one, the rest of those cowardly heroes will join us. Any questions?"

• Like 1

She look serious and discerning, shoulder-length black hair, sharp facial features, and a perpetual scowl on her face. However, the most noticeable feature of her face is the massive, hand-shaped area of scarred flesh originating from the empty socket of her right eye. The right half of her lips are singed off, some of the hair towards her forehead is noticeably missing, and her right ear is mostly gone. She wears a business suit, although discerning eyes notice that her suit appears to have metal lining the neck and shoulders, extending down to the cuff of her sleeves. She stands at the top of the table for several moments, scanning across the faces of everyone there, as if trying to read a book in a foreign language. Her face is still and hard to read. After a moment of taking stock of the room, she spoke in a raspy, strained voice.

Henry's enthusiasm died, even as his Guide hissed in a low intonation around his arm. He didn't need his Spirit Guide to tell him what drove this woman. It lingered on her like a miasma of rage and sorrows, frustration more burning than the wounds she suffered even now. This woman had two wolves in her.

And he knew which one she had fed the most.

"My name is Sienna Cordova." She introduces curtly. She stands with her hands folded behind her back, slowly making eye contact with her good eye to anyone who will match her gaze. "I have called you here for a simple reason: the gangs rule too much of this city. Of my city. I need them chased off. Killed, if need be. The police, the new mayor, and all the other professional heroes don't have the guts to travel into the mouth of the beast. They want to slowly take back the city, one goddamn building at a time. To hell with that. The longer we wait, the more innocent men, women, and children die on the outskirts of our city. We need to strike at the heart of this infection. Once you're properly trained and working as a team, we'll strike at the major gangs of the city. Once we topple one, the rest of those cowardly heroes will join us. Any questions?"

Henry had none.

But he resolved to keep a close eye on this organization from this point on.