Season Losses: 0

Fantasy Team Page

Read more about Monkey D. Luffy at Wikipedia

Official Site: Eiichiro Oda

Battle Terrain

Combat Terrain: Bar Fight

terrain_barfight.jpg

Guest Shockwave

Luffy's made of Rubber, fast enough to at least break the sound barrier, at best dodge lasers, has Haki control that knocks people with weaker wills out ala Jedi-style, can see the future, and literally harden his body.  All of this is why he would win.  And why I should have had him on my team.

Well, Snake-Eyes is my guy so my points are biased.  Also further I'm not familiar with Monkey.

Just going by Wiki though I see two points.  Monkey is immune to blunt force but Snake Eyes favors cutting weapons like swords and knives.  Also I see water negates his powers, but they are in a bar so I expect there will be plenty of liquids flying and splashing around.  That is a pretty big Achilles Heel on Monkey.  Snake Eyes is a pretty sharp fighter, and if he clues into the aversion to water there's going to be water in the bar to use.  Cutting weapons + water = win.

Guest Shockwave

Liquids=/= water.  Water is a different force.  It's mostly Sea Water that actually weakens him, and he needs to be submerged in it. 

And good luck hitting this:

Guest Shockwave

Meh.  Too bad I didn't draw Atlantis as the terrain.

Fishman island is completely underwater, Luffy owns the villian there with this punch:

Fishman island is completely underwater, Luffy owns the villian there with this punch:

Nothing against the character, but it's silly that the character is defined in Wiki as having an overpowering weakness, which it just goes on to negate at wiil.

What the hell?

Hm?  Just asking if the character has a debilitating weakness to water.  I don't mind losing a round, just trying to clarify that point because I don't know the character.  Wiki says he does, Shockwave says he doesn't.  Just asking questions...

Guest Dinsdale Piranha

Monkey wins. 

IMO, he doesn't belong in this category. He doesn't bring kung-fu, he brings superpowers. Team anchor would probably have been a better slot for him.

Guest KibaxHinata

Hm?  Just asking if the character has a debilitating weakness to water.  I don't mind losing a round, just trying to clarify that point because I don't know the character.  Wiki says he does, Shockwave says he doesn't.  Just asking questions...

Yes and no. That arc in OP just gave Luffy a reason to fight underwater. Otherwise he would've died or not even come close to finding the Mermaids without air bubbles. That wasn't even the MOST logic breaking thing in the series (for instance Sanji made a flaming kick UNDERWATER). Pretty much why I stopped reading One Piece after the Whitebeard War was because of

Monkey wins. 

IMO, he doesn't belong in this category. He doesn't bring kung-fu, he brings superpowers. Team anchor would probably have been a better slot for him.

Yeah, that was what I was working with in my opening salvo to defend my guy.  After reading his entry it looked like I had to discuss bypassing Superpowers instead of debating the merits of the Martial Technique between the characters.

Guest Shockwave

Nothing against the character, but it's silly that the character is defined in Wiki as having an overpowering weakness, which it just goes on to negate at wiil.

Except it really isn't negating with will.  It's limited exposure. As shown here by the girl with sunglasses

And it's a common mistake that people think that because he's weak to water he's weak to all liquids.  Luffy beat a guy using only his blood to hit him.  BLOOD is a liquid (or at least last time I checked).  The air bubble was made so he could breath and somewhat move around.  The punch is the only thing that will has enhanced.  It was still weakened. 

But overall, I do agree that Luffy's more of a brawler and doesn't really belong in the martial arts slot.  Hell he'd beat my guy for the section too. 

Guest Shockwave

Yes and no. That arc in OP just gave Luffy a reason to fight underwater. Otherwise he would've died or not even come close to finding the Mermaids without air bubbles. That wasn't even the MOST logic breaking thing in the series (for instance Sanji made a flaming kick UNDERWATER). Pretty much why I stopped reading One Piece after the Whitebeard War was because of

*cough*Naruto'sworseatbreakinglogicandyou'reaskingforlogicinaseriesthatyougetsuperpowersfromeatingfruit*cough*

If you were hoping for One Piece to be based on reasoning and logic instead of it defying them, you should've stopped a long freakin time ago lol.

Guest Shockwave

WHAT WAS THAT? I COULDN'T QUITE MAKE THAT OUT SONNY

(Yes I got it)

*cough*soweagreethenaboutnaruto'srealisticbsisnothingmorethanasadattempt*cough*

Guest deojusto

He punches people, that's kung-fu'y. He's got some powers but so do Iron Fist, avatar benders, street fighter fighters, and a bunch of anime martial artists. If I had it to do over again I'd would have gone Primeape in order to fit my theme, but I didn't think of it at the time.

In short vote Monkey, because who doesn't love monkeys? Except Superboy. And Snake Eyes after this match.