Rumble 20567 Ed (Street Fighter) vs. Mama Odie vs. Pickle
MATCH SCORE
Ed (Street Fighter): 0
Mama Odie: 0
Pickle (Baki the Grappler): 2

Dungeons and Dragons question

Guest deojusto

Guest deojusto

So, first off, I'm not starting an RP here, because I wouldn't want to be the GM. I'd join immediately if someone else with experience would take the reigns, but this is just more of a general question.

I want to get into D&D, and I'm hoping to find a group to play with that would be ok with a new guy just learning the ropes. I figured the RP'ers on this site might know more about the resources out there, or resources they've used, to find groups near them. I've seen some sites for players but a lot of them seem to be sort of dead with no way to tell if the people listed there are still playing. I also heard that local game shops keep binders with local games around, but that these games aren't as good, or that the players are more weird or something.  

If any tabletop players are out there, how did you find a group to play with, or what would you suggest?

Guest Red_Dragon

Well, first off, is it Dungeons and Dragons specifically, or are you just looking to get into tabletop role-playing in general?

Pathfinder is by far the superior sword and sorcery game just for the reason that it is still in print. It's basically the 3rd/3.5 edition with even more streamlined rules. Their website, Paizo.com, is very active and you could potentially get a group together just from the forums. 

If you're dead set on a Dungeons and Dragons group, you could try getting a group from roll20.net. It's what I use for my games when I can't be there in person. You use the forums to put together a group and the maps and tools needed to run the game are onsite. Best of all, It's free.

If there's another genre, let us know and someone could point you in the direction of a good system.

Guest deojusto

I could check out Pathfinder. I'm not dead set on D&D, it just happens to be the one I'm most familiar with. Though I am more inclined to want to play in person if possible just because that might be more fun. Maybe I could do online stuff to get familiar with it though.

Guest Red_Dragon

I certainly understand the desire to play in person. Do you have anyone around you willing to set up a game?

The problem with trying to play at a hobby store is that most of the time, you're going to jump on in the middle of a game, and it's rather difficult to wrap your head around a game that has a lot of continuity behind it. Example: About a year ago, I tried getting into a game at the hobby shop by my college. The premise was based in Norse Mythology, and being a mythology buff, I figured it would be interesting. What I didn't realize was that the game was currently at level 12 and so much had happened beforehand, I had trouble following the story and just couldn't stay interested enough to stick with the game.

I'd join immediately if someone else with experience would take the reigns

Well, I'm willing to start a game, and I have quite a bit of experience, both online and RL in running campaigns, I just don't have a lot of time to do so, so it would be a relatively slow moving campaign.

If any tabletop players are out there, how did you find a group to play with, or what would you suggest?

I got lucky, I had a friend who initially joined a group at school, which I then got roped into joining, we've then kept together and played for about 10 years now, 6 of which I've been the GM.

If you're dead set on a Dungeons and Dragons group, you could try getting a group from roll20.net

Another site is thetangledweb.net which also has online character sheets for a bunch of different systems, like Starwars D20,

Though I am more inclined to want to play in person if possible just because that might be more fun.

Playing in person is imo far superior to playing online, but it can be extremely hard to find anybody to play with if you don't already know someone who's playing.

Maybe I could do online stuff to get familiar with it though.

A very good idea, playing online will allow you to learn the various rules etc, though keep in mind that each group and/or GM typically has their own 'house' rules, either rules that are changed or outright ignored from the source materiel.

Guest Red_Dragon

Maybe I could do online stuff to get familiar with it though.

A very good idea, playing online will allow you to learn the various rules etc, though keep in mind that each group and/or GM typically has their own 'house' rules, either rules that are changed or outright ignored from the source materiel.

Also, while playing in person is definitely a little more engaging, it's easier to get a home group together when you're willing to DM and know the rules well enough to get by.