Gambit: 6
Dr. Facilier: 1

Lilandra Neramani vs. Agent L
MATCH SCORE
Lilandra Neramani: 2
Agent L: 4

What is the true purpose of the CBUB?

DSkillz

Why is a set-up needed? Well, how do I put this? We care enough about these caracters and know enough about them to want to discuss who wins in a fight/contst. So shouldn't we care know enough to write a detailed set-up? It doen't have to e a novel, just something that shows how the characters got into the situation. Enviornment and mindset are important and these should be described. Plus it's not like Thor and Superman are just going to randomly duke it out, that takes some setting up.

Like I said the set-ups don't need to be long just detailed, in-character, or maybe not if you go for comedy. I've written good dating game set-ups that were short. For me, it's part writimg practice and part me just loving the characters. We care about thiese characters enough to debate about them and I feel a good set-up shows our respect and adoration for them. That's a big part of why I make my set-ups because I love the characters, I want to see them meet/fight and I reflect that by giving my matches as good a set-up as I can manage.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay let's say Batman and Spider-Man are indeed fighting.

And you want it to be a boxing match, how are we going to know that other than your own comments which most of us sometimes don't read.

I went over this in the previous threads, but I'll go over it again. If you want to change things go beyond a basic meet and fight. Then you are going to need a bit of set up.

Which I'll get back to in a moment, but for now. Remember the name of the site is Comic Book Universe Battles. Note the last word their Battles, so if somebody on a site about battles says Batman vs Spider-man? Whats your first thought, a dance off. I doubt it. At least I hope not. Even if it is, its not for most people and most people(well at least most people that would seek out a comic based web site) can discuss a match simply based on who would win in a fight between character A and Character B.

Okay back to the set up If you want Batman and Spider-man in a boxing match. Why should you have to write anything more then that? Seriously is Batman vs Spider-man in a boxing match not enough for you people to be able to understand what is going on. I don't need to know what they ate for breakfast, or why they are in a boxing match, or that Mary Jane said "Go get'em tiger". To discuss a boxing match between the two.

I went over this in the previous threads, but I'll go over it again. If you want to change things go beyond a basic meet and fight. Then you are going to need a bit of set up.

Which I'll get back to in a moment, but for now. Remember the name of the site is Comic Book Universe Battles. Note the last word their Battles, so if somebody on a site about battles says Batman vs Spider-man? Whats your first thought, a dance off. I doubt it. At least I hope not. Even if it is, its not for most people and most people(well at least most people that would seek out a comic based web site) can discuss a match simply based on who would win in a fight between character A and Character B.

Okay back to the set up If you want Batman and Spider-man in a boxing match. Why should you have to write anything more then that? Seriously is Batman vs Spider-man in a boxing match not enough for you people to be able to understand what is going on. I don't need to know what they ate for breakfast, or why they are in a boxing match, or that Mary Jane said "Go get'em tiger". To discuss a boxing match between the two.

Why becuse we care about the characters. Let's use your example Batman doesn' get into random boxing matches so why does Bruce/Dick want to box Peter. In fact isit Bruce or Dick? Spiderman has varying levels of strength which version is it? Have Peter's powers been nullified to make the match fair? Is this a NYC crowd or a Gotham crowd watching, the crowd can affect the outcome of a match. Again I reiterate the first question, why are Batman and Spiderman in a boxing match. It's out of character for Batman so there is the issue of how Bruce and Peter met and this was all set up and why?

The question of course is one that I've asked previously and the pro-set up camp has up to this point been either unable or unwilling to answer. Why?

Let me expand on the question a little to clarify. If a set up is unneeded and all you want is Batman and Spider-Man in a punch up why should you have to write a set up?

Rate It: Rate Quality of the Set Up Story and use of characters. <That's why. If they want to be lazy and not write anything, they're going to get bad grades. That's all there is to it. I do agree with you that we don't need tons of comments to point this out. One or two should suffice. And if they don't care and don't want to try to write something coherent, then scratched matches are the result.

Maybe some people get a kick out of having matches scratched...

Guilty much Nova?

Guest Hayesmeister5651

Just post in the Rumbles and you don't have to worry about people talking about the quality of your set ups.............................................................................

.................................................................................

.................................................................................

Please, enlighten me; how is giving advice on how to improve set-ups (which, whether you like it or not, are a fundamental part of a match) thread derailment? I mean, honestly.

Because what does sentence structure have to do with who would win in a fight. That's right NOTHING. If the subject of the match is Batman vs Spider-man for instance the creator verb usage is not part of the debate, nor should it be part of thread about two super heroes punching it out. In other words its off topic, which as you may know is normally considered thread derailment. No different then if I start discussing character not involved in the match or start arguing politics in a thread about breakfast foods.

As for that stuff about running members off... would you really leave if, after posting a fight with no set-up, you were told, "Ok, welcome to the CBUB, RiotGear. Just so you know, we generally like to see well-written, thought out set-ups spanning at least a paragraph. If you just want to know who would win in a fight, we have a Rumbles Board over on the forums, so I recommend checking that out'?

Me personally no. I still like to vote and comment on other matches, but their is a reason why I don't post matches. Because I'd want to discuss the match itself not proper nouns.

Though if I'd just found this site and posted a match then got 5 response, none which had to do with the fight and a couple that said "It's Bad" I'd probably consider leaving, while wondering what F\/ck was wrong with the people here.

One thing I'd like you to ask: why do you keep using the term, 'novella'?

Oh, and regarding the lack of activity on the site lately: maybe we don't want hundreds of stomp matches with no setups every day?

Dramatic license and I've only used novella once, though I did use novel a couple of times.

Your not avoiding stomp matches, I've seen well written stomp matches. In fact most none set up matches are fairly even as they are thought out with out a need to handicap or mitigate a characters abilities. Recently we had Sarah Connor vs Ellen Ripley and Hit Girl vs Go Go Yubari neither is a stomp match.

I'll just address a few of your points now.

"Why should they. Maybe lit critiques are not what they are here for."

That does not change the fact that writing plays as much a part on this site as the matchups do, no matter how much you complain about it. If they want mindless brawls, they should go join ComicVine.

"...stop harassing them ans messing up their matches"

I'll just repeat what I've already said: how, exactly, does asking them to improve their setups qualify as either 'harassing them' or 'messing up their matches'?

Except brawls are what this place was built on. If you want writing go to FanFiction or even the FPL.

Let me ask you a question lets say you write a match and post it and all the comments you get are things like "Why did you write a set up", "Stop writing set ups", "Why are you here", "I don't want to read all that" for pages and in everything match you make. How would you feel about it? How is it any different from any other trolling or spamming?

Mind you the above scenario isn't going to happen because the none set up camp tends to be far less vocal. You know following the live at live concept you professed to follow, but show nothing, but contempt for.

And as for your last point: Why should I? Just because they choose to ignore an important part of the site, doesn't mean I should, nor should I let them get away with it. From what I've heard, for every new match that enters the Archives, an old one is removed. Is it really worth losing what might be a superb piece of writing for another "Superman is walking around when Goku attacks him"?

Because I thought you said

"But yeah, really, M Bison's answer was the best. If you just wanna discuss who would win between Quicksilver and the Flash, do that. If you like the writing aspect of the site, do that. If you're interested in both, like me, then do both. smile.gif"

Or did you mean.

"But yeah, really, M Bison's answer was the best. If you just wanna discuss who would win between Quicksilver and the Flash, do that. If you do though we'll give you copious amounts of Sh!t for it while pretending to be constructive and non-partisan(as to whether or not you can just discuss brawls) If you like the writing aspect of the site, do that. BY which we mean do this, not the first choice the first choice sucks and we want have it. If you're interested in both, like me, then do both. smile.gif Not that I am actually interested in the former, but my comment is way more passive aggressive this way. The smile really sells it don't you think?"

Well, if they do, that's their choice. I'm just sayin', when our "Rate Button" says that, how can we know the quality of the story and usage of characters if they post matches with no words at all?

You don't rate?

It's not that difficult.

If the issue at hand really is whether or not peer critiques are a necessary part of the CBUB process, I really don't see a problem. While people like RiotGear may simply enjoy discussing "who beats who" in a very clear-cut manner that's up to them. I mean, I may not agree with this sentiment myself, but going back to my other post, different members are here for different reasons. For some of us, this IS a writing site. For others, this site exist as an outlet for debate. So, to me at least, it's really foolish to sit there and tell the other guy that this site is or isn't something. For example, to me this is a writing site. It always has been for me but I respect the fact that others may not see it as so.

Now back to the matter at hand, if we are to believe that this portion of the site is truly divided between those that argue for the mechanics of the match and those who are here as a creative outlet then it really doesn't make sense for one group to make demands of the other. If a person wants to make a set-up just to see if Predator would beat Blackheart in a poker match, and they're not here for writing advice; there's really no reason that other members should be bombarding him with writing critiques. It's a different case, if the person right out says "What do you think of my set-up? What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it?" then there is an obvious call for criticism. Yet, if the person just wants to discuss power levels there's really no reason to beat his head in for not being a creative well-thought out match. Again, personally, I would much rather see the creative, well-thought out match; I don't give a damn about power levels.

So if you know that the person is more creative leaning or they ask you to critique their writing , then feel free to offer whatever mutual advice you may have. On the other hand, if they don't expressly entail their interest in improving their writing skills, just stay out of it.

That being said, for both of these groups certain guidelines need to be followed; some by unwritten mores of the site itself, and some because they simply don't make sense not to. First of all, the set-ups need to at least be readable. No, this is not meant to insult those of you who do not have English as their native language but there comes a point where one needs to say, "This is grammatically unacceptable." Again, I'm not poking fun at those of you who are grammatically inefficient (for whatever reason), and I'm not expecting you to be perfect but there comes a time when it is your duty as a site community to say that such brutalizations of grammar are not acceptable.

Secondly, there are certain guidelines that a CBUB match NEEDS to have in order for it to be technically following the rules. I know these were written in the previous server's version of the site and I'm not sure they still exist. Anyways, here they are for those of you who are interested:

1.) Setting

2.) At least one paragraph in length

3.) A reason why the members of the match are in conflict with one another

If you don't feel like doing even that minimal amount, feel free to use the Rumble board as previously suggested.

Finally, the site's built in rating system (It's good, It's ok, It's bad) does not count as an actual critique, but as a technical measure designed to keep the site from crashing in on itself. It's really more of a safety net/reward system than a writing critique tool. Because honestly, you cant offer constructive criticism simply by going, "this is terrible!!" So, the use of those ratings isn't REALLY an issue here.

I hope this helps.

Rate It: Rate Quality of the Set Up Story and use of characters. <That's why. If they want to be lazy and not write anything, they're going to get bad grades. That's all there is to it. I do agree with you that we don't need tons of comments to point this out. One or two should suffice. And if they don't care and don't want to try to write something coherent, then scratched matches are the result.

I didn't ask for a lesson on how the site works. I asked why? Why bother these people? They are not here for your rating or critiquing. Why ruin their fun? They aren't hurting you or getting in your way or polluting you matches. Why scratch their matches? Why rate? why comment?

And "der 'cuz dis sites let mine" is not answer, just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to or should.

Guest Hayesmeister5651
I didn't ask for a lesson on how the site works. I asked why? Why bother these people? They are not here for your rating or critiquing. Why ruin their fun? They aren't hurting you or getting in your way or polluting you matches. Why scratch their matches? Why rate? why comment?

And "der 'cuz dis sites let mine" is not answer, just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to or should.

You are really starting to come off as someone who is butt hurt about getting criticism.

Why becuse we care about the characters. Let's use your example Batman doesn' get into random boxing matches so why does Bruce/Dick want to box Peter. In fact isit Bruce or Dick? Spiderman has varying levels of strength which version is it? Have Peter's powers been nullified to make the match fair? Is this a NYC crowd or a Gotham crowd watching, the crowd can affect the outcome of a match. Again I reiterate the first question, why are Batman and Spiderman in a boxing match. It's out of character for Batman so there is the issue of how Bruce and Peter met and this was all set up and why?

I'm always sad that I can't give common sense as an early Christmas present, but I think its safe to say that for most people Bruce Wayne is the default Batman and Spider-man is Spider-man. Now back to reading comprehension I said if characters are handicapped, such as Peter being powerless. Its gonna need to be noted if you feel the same way about location, note it as well. Though I'd hazard to say most people'd naturally default to a neutral location. Even if they didn't most wouldn't consider the crowd, just the men fighting.

The why is not important.

Lets try this..

Who would win in a boxing match between Batman and Spider-man?

If the issue at hand really is whether or not peer critiques are a necessary part of the CBUB process, I really don't see a problem. While people like RiotGear may simply enjoy discussing "who beats who" in a very clear-cut manner that's up to them. I mean, I may not agree with this sentiment myself, but going back to my other post, different members are here for different reasons. For some of us, this IS a writing site. For others, this site exist as an outlet for debate. So, to me at least, it's really foolish to sit there and tell the other guy that this site is or isn't something. For example, to me this is a writing site. It always has been for me but I respect the fact that others may not see it as so.

Now back to the matter at hand, if we are to believe that this portion of the site is truly divided between those that argue for the mechanics of the match and those who are here as a creative outlet then it really doesn't make sense for one group to make demands of the other. If a person wants to make a set-up just to see if Predator would beat Blackheart in a poker match, and they're not here for writing advice; there's really no reason that other members should be bombarding him with writing critiques. It's a different case, if the person right out says "What do you think of my set-up? What did you like about it? What didn't you like about it?" then there is an obvious call for criticism. Yet, if the person just wants to discuss power levels there's really no reason to beat his head in for not being a creative well-thought out match. Again, personally, I would much rather see the creative, well-thought out match; I don't give a damn about power levels.

So if you know that the person is more creative leaning or they ask you to critique their writing , then feel free to offer whatever mutual advice you may have. On the other hand, if they don't expressly entail their interest in improving their writing skills, just stay out of it.

Agreed, you've got it.

That being said, for both of these groups certain guidelines need to be followed; some by unwritten mores of the site itself, and some because they simply don't make sense not to. First of all, the set-ups need to at least be readable. No, this is not meant to insult those of you who do not have English as their native language but there comes a point where one needs to say, "This is grammatically unacceptable." Again, I'm not poking fun at those of you who are grammatically inefficient (for whatever reason), and I'm not expecting you to be perfect but there comes a time when it is your duty as a site community to say that such brutalizations of grammar are not acceptable.

Secondly, there are certain guidelines that a CBUB match NEEDS to have in order for it to be technically following the rules. I know these were written in the previous server's version of the site and I'm not sure they still exist. Anyways, here they are for those of you who are interested:

1.) Setting

If you don't feel like doing even that minimal amount, feel free to use the Rumble board as previously suggested.

Finally, the site's built in rating system (It's good, It's ok, It's bad) does not count as an actual critique, but as a technical measure designed to keep the site from crashing in on itself. It's really more of a safety net/reward system than a writing critique tool. Because honestly, you cant offer constructive criticism simply by going, "this is terrible!!" So, the use of those ratings isn't REALLY an issue here.

I hope this helps.

And with all do respect. You lost it.

Agreed, you've got it.

And with all do respect. You lost it.

There is a writing component do this site. That's just the way it is, we have an outlet for those who don't want to put the effort in, it's the rumbles form It doesn't have set-up space. If set-up weren't important for matches we wouldn't have a place to imput them.

You are really starting to come off as someone who is butt hurt about getting criticism.

Not sure what to say to that, but I'll point out it was not criticism of myself that prompted this discussion, but rather my defense of other member of the communities right to make matches and have fun.

There is a writing component do this site. That's just the way it is, we have an outlet for those who don't want to put the effort in, it's the rumbles form It doesn't have set-up space. If set-up weren't important for matches we wouldn't have a place to imput them.

The set up space is their because somebody put it their, its not some sort of natural imperative. That evolved on its own.

And once again just cause you can write a set up doesn't mean you should have to.

The set up space is their because somebody put it their, its not some sort of natural imperative. That evolved on its own.

And once again just cause you can write a set up doesn't mean you should have to.

You like to lean on the battles part of the name to maje you point. Let me focus on the Comic Book Universe part of the name. What is the driving force behind a comic book universe and spawns all its battles? That would be story and plot. We don't carre about these characters and want to make matches with them just because they can Punch stuff. No, it's the characters we care abot, not the powers, we're fans and as fans want to see the characters used well.

Care to tell me what you disagree with?

Well..

1.) Setting

That. Yeah pretty much all of it. If the grammar or spelling is so bad we can't understand it. You might have a point, but I doubt that's what you are saying.

Also, uh you don't need a paragraph to say Batman and Spider-man duke it out on a Chicago street. Hell you don't need that to say who would win in a fight. Nor does one need or at least should not need to know why they are fighting to weigh in on the out come.

I've been over the problem with the lets use the Rumbles Board as a fall back/scape goat goat thing already.

Further how is the rating system a safety net?

Basically the second half of your post completely contradicts the first halves attempt at bi-partisanship on the subject. You go from saying. If people just wants who would win, the let'em have it to. You must write set up or die. You go from don't rate people who don't want it to the board needs the rating system to survive.

In other words your bias is showing.

You like to lean on the battles part of the name to maje you point. Let me focus on the Comic Book Universe part of the name. What is the driving force behind a comic book universe and spawns all its battles? That would be story and plot. We don't carre about these characters and want to make matches with them just because they can Punch stuff. No, it's the characters we care abot, not the powers, we're fans and as fans want to see the characters used well.

I can pretty well assure you this site started with who would win a fight? Not I wonder in character how these characters would interact. That Aside I have never faulted some body who wants to have that discussion. Or write extensive set ups, if that is what they want to do. What I have faulted people for doing is trying to force there way of doing things on other members of the board who may not have the same interests.

I'll give you credit though. Using the Comic Book Universe part of the name as your launching point for a come back was creative.