Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Match 18731 Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) vs. Witch-King of Angmar

Boratz

"Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!"

Dean Martin's voice sang over the speakers throughout the logging company. With the thick snow that covered the world around and the blurry haze of white flakes that continued to fall, it was a convenient carol that played over the radio. The heavy blizzard closed the roads, and some of the workers for this logging company had no choice but to stay behind until the roads were clear. While a radio played the chorus of timeless Christmas tunes, some of the men sat around a small television that was hanging on a wall. Their eyes glued to the screen while they watched their favorite football teams battle it out. With what food they had in the break room's refrigerator, this group of men did the best they could with what they had. There were many laughs during the game and clanging glass bottles of beer. It was certainly the best of a tough situation on this mountainous terrain. 

Deep within the snow-covered forest that surrounded the wood logging company, a darkness formed in the thick powdery snow. A darkness that led to an endless abyss between space and time. Emerging from the abyss, a foul beast emerged from the endless void. This wicked creature's feet crunched against the white flakes beneath it. Tattered dark robes covered the specter as it slowly stepped forward. 

A power surged through the body of the evil being as strength returned to its arms and legs. Stiff cracking sounds pierced through the bitter cold air while the creature's fingers clutched the handle of its sword. The sinister being slowly drug that same sword across the snow-covered world while his strength continued to return. With his other hand, he dropped a large flail on the icy ground and fell forward. Leaning against a nearby tree, the wraith had finally regained all of the power that it once had. 

Memories started to trickle in little by little while the wraith pushed itself through the thick trees that stood before it. Falling to his knees, the specter remembered his life as a man and the corruption of a ring. His service to the Dark Lord Sauron burned inside of him while snow continued to fall from the skies. The wraith unleashed a horrifying screech with thoughts surrounding that fateful day on Pelannor Fields. 

That bloody curdling screech echoed through the frigid cold air while the memories of the Rohan woman and the halfling plagued the mind of the wraith. The Black Captain pushed himself to his feet. He glared back at the flail that he had dropped on the ground. Gazing around at his surroundings, the Lord of the Nazgul began to realize that this was not the world that he once lived upon. The Chieftain of the Ringwraiths sauntered to his deadly flail. He reached down and his cracking fingers wrapped around the handle of the flail. 

Walking through the frigid forest, the Witch-king of Amgmar made his way toward a sound in the woods. There were many thoughts that went through the mind of the Black Captain, but the worst of thoughts centered around the Dark Lord. The Lord of the Nazgul knew that he was brought into this strange new world for a reason. He would need to find a way to raise his master from that same endless abyss so that they may finally rule over the kingdoms of this world that they so rightfully deserved. 

The further he walked, the louder the sound became. He could hear what sounded to be music coming from a large building. There was a faint light that shined from within the building. The sound of the Christmas carols could be heard clearly from outside the logging company. The Witch-king unleashed another horrifying screech as he circled around this building filled with music. Knowing that he needed soldiers, the Lord of the Nazgul dropped his sword and flail in the snow. He took out the dark Morgul blade.

The weather outside was indeed frightful and with the arrival of the hooded stranger, terror soon entered the doors of the logging company. For the workers that were trapped inside by the terrifying blizzard, they soon would experience a nightmare between life and death. The Lord of the Nazgul was black mantled, huge and threatening. Upon his head, he wore a crown of steel, but between rim and robe naught was there to see, save only for a deadly gleam of eyes. 

He crept within the walls of the logging company and pierced the workers one by one with the end of the dreadful Morgul blade. The Black Captain inspired a level of fear amongst the souls of the workers. With the radio still playing the Christmas tunes and the television showing the final moments of a football game, the men that once were trapped by the frigid storm slowly started to become wraith-like servants of the Witch-King of Angmar. 

"Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away
This year, to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special…"

Mariah Carey's Christmas song play over the loud speak while thousands of shoppers scattered throughout the store. In the frenzy of shoppers, there was one that was bound determined to find the perfect gifts for all of her friends and comrades. Kate Bishop searched high and low for gifts for her fellow Avengers. For some of them, it was quite fun to find presents while others proved to be near impossible. "I mean what do you get for a billionaire, philanthropist, playboy?" She mumbled to herself while thinking of Tony Stark. As her mind raced, she let out a sigh. There was no way that she would be able to find the perfect gifts for an Asgardian such as Thor or the Sorcerer Supreme.

While walking through the crowded store, she heard an older woman screaming at one of the overworked employees. Kate glanced over and tried to find the words to say to calm down the situation. Before she could walk over there to help, the older woman stormed away. With a warm smile, Kate thanked the employee for all that he was doing during the Christmas season and assured him that he was doing a great job.  Kate then continued on with her quest and was able to find gifts for just about every one of her fellow Avengers. 

Several aisles away, she saw an item on one of the bare endcaps that would be perfect for Vision. A large smile formed across the archer's face while she started to push her cart toward that perfect gift. As fate would have it, her eyes then met that same bitter lady that she had seen earlier. With a determined gaze in her eyes, Kate knew that the bitter older woman was after the same gift. From where they stood, it was the only one left on the shelf. Both Kate and the stranger raced through the store to get to the end cap. They ran around the frenzy of holiday shoppers, and over the items that were thrown on the floors. 

With all of the skills that she had obtained since her early childhood and the experiences she had picked up since becoming an Avenger, Kate was bound determined to get to this item first. She pulled off extraordinary flips over shopping carts and slid across the slippery floors as if she was a major league baseball player trying to get to base. She reached her goal and grabbed the item that she felt would be a perfect gift for Vision. The older lady slammed her cart into the young archer and the item slipped out of Kate's grasp. The young Avenger's eyes widened as the item fell into the shopping cart of the bitter old woman. 

The woman scoffed while she pulled her cart away, and stormed off toward the check-out line. Kate thought about trying to take the item out of the old woman's cart but with everyone around, she did not want to make a scene. She found an item for Vision and the rest of her teammates. She checked out and stepped outside of the busy store. While leaving the store, she saw that same woman that she had encountered before. The woman rolled her eyes in triumph as she headed to her car. Kate shook her head and glanced over at her special companion, who waited outside for her. Lucky the Pizza Dog stood up with his tail wagging in all directions. Kate smiled as Lucky's mouth opened and his tongue flew out of his mouth. 

"You look hungry!" She exclaimed while patting Lucky's head. "I'm hungry too!"

Kate bought a couple hotdogs from her favorite hotdog stand. Lucky ate his hotdogs with a couple bites, and followed his companion back to her apartment. The archer set out to wrap the gifts that she had purchased. While she was in the middle of wrapping, she turned on some music to hear the Christmas carols play in the background. She then heard a knock at her door and stood up from her chair. She turned down the sweet tunes of Christmas cheer and answered the door. Much to her surprise, Kate's sister stood in the doorway. Kate's eyes widened and her mouth dropped as silence fell between the two sisters. 

Susan broke the uncomfortable silence, "Well... Aren't you going to invite me in, Kate?"

"Yes! Yes! Come in, Susan!" Kate said as she stood back and waved her sister in the apartment.

Susan's eyes wandered around the apartment and Kate could see that her sister was not impressed by what she had seen.

"You seem like you are...." Susan said while trying to find the right words. "Well, I suppose."

"I'm great! Everything is great!" Kate said with a smile

"Good I... Uh... What is that smell..." Susan said with a disgusted looked until her eyes caught onto Lucky. "Oh."

"What are you doing here, Susan?" Kate asked with a sigh.

"I need a favor. I need your help." Susan mumbled. 

"My help?" Kate said with a puzzled look. "With what?"

Susan groaned while walking around the small apartment. "I recently purchased a logging company in the Appalachian Mountains. I figured it was not much of a risk and since taking over the family business, I have continued to search for new opportunities for growth."

"I am not going to work at the company and I'm definitely not working at a logging company." Kate said while glaring at her sister.

"That is not why I am here, Kate!" Susan hissed with a piercing stare. "Recently a blizzard shut down the roads. There were some workers that got stuck there over the weekend. Once things cleared up, they were nowhere to be found."

"Sounds more like a job for the local authorities." Kate muttered.

"They have searched but with the weather and the terrain... Look..." Susan sighed. "I know that you are some kind of superhero or whatever it is that you dress up as. We have more differences than similarities. I was just wanting to see if you could help find these people." 

Kate paused for a moment and let out a steady breath. She nodded as she looked her sister in the eyes. "Okay, I'll help."

After Susan left, Kate packed her luggage and gathered her equipment. She met with her dear friend, Cassie Lang. Cassie agreed to watch over Lucky while Kate went on her quest to the Appalachian Mountains. While heading toward the logging company, a great many thoughts started running through Kate's mind. She thought about her sister and the Christmases that they used to have together. It was crazy how much had changed in their lives. The young Avenger saw that it was not long until she would arrive at the logging company. 

"Silent night, holy night!
All is calm, all is bright.
Round yon Virgin, Mother and Child.
Holy infant so tender and mild,
Sleep in heavenly peace,
Sleep in heavenly peace..."

The young archer walked through the logging company with her bow drawn. Kate could hear the faint sound of the radio playing the Christmas carols, and slowly walked up the steps to the break room. She steadily turned off the radio and gazed around the abandoned facility. The young Avenger crept through the logging company; when all through the building. Not a creature was stirring not even a mouse. There was an eerie silence within the building and an uneasy feeling in the pit of Kate's stomach. 

She walked outside into the cold winter night. From the distance, she could hear a faint screech. The young Avenger shook her head and walked toward the direction of the sound. She walked through snow and brush, until she reached the bottom of a cliff. On the other side of the cliff, a chilly river flowed by. Kate gazed at the flowing river and shook her head. The young Avenger took some steady breathes before deciding that she needed to head back to the logging facility. She then heard the crunching sound of snow from behind. 

"What the..." Kate muttered to herself as he eyes widened.

She was surrounded by what appeared to be pale wraith like figures. These figures slowly made their way toward the young Avenger. Kate shuffled through her arrows until she took out a grapple arrow. She quickly aimed her arrow up above her. Kate launched an arrow for the top of the cliff. The grapple arrow latched onto the top of the cliff and quickly brought the young Avenger out of the reach of the wraith-like creatures. While she was ascending up, Kate glanced down at the pale beasts. She let out a sigh of relief as she reached the top of the cliff. 

Kate took over the cliff and stumbled back. For a split second, she thought she had escaped from harm's grasp. She then heard crunching snow and snapping twigs. The young archer glanced back and saw a figure with long black robes. It had a steel helmet over its head and stood high up in the cold winter's air. 

"Who dares disturb my kingdom?" The Witch-king growled.

"What are you?" Kate asked while aiming an arrow at the Lord of the Nazgul.

"I am your end, foolish girl." The Witch-king hissed with an unsettling screech.

Kate sighed as she mumbled under her breath, "Why does this have to happen to me during Christmas?"

Kate Bishop has her bow and arrows. She also has a wide variety of trick arrows.

The Witch-king has his sword, flail and Morgul blade.

Learn More About
Hawkeye (Kate Bishop)
Read more about Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Entertainment Links: Wikipedia Marvel.com Marvel Database Project

Witch-King of Angmar
Read more about Witch-King of Angmar at Wikipedia
Official Site: New Line Cinema Links: Wikipedia The Chain's book Encyclopedia of Arda

5 hours ago, Mercenaryblade said:

Definitely think Kate can pull this off.

Nice set up!

Thank Merc!

I thought it would be a bit closer since Witch King is more on the wraith undead side and I'm not sure how many mystical arrows Kate would have against him

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
5.00 - patrickthekid
4.80 - Mercenaryblade
5.00 - StormChaser

FPA Calculation:
3 Total Votes cast
14.80 Total Combined Score
14.80 / 3 = 4.93 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Hawkeye (Kate Bishop): 3
Witch-King of Angmar: 2