Raphael (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 4
Ken Masters: 6

Helena Shaw vs. Lori Quaid
MATCH SCORE
Helena Shaw: 2
Lori Quaid: 3

Match 18671 Man-Thing vs. The Creature (Gill-man)

Boratz

"In a world of marvels and mysteries, there are many discoveries that have yet to be made. From discoveries in modern medicine to new species yet to be discovered, the world still has a lot to offer. With the growth of mankind, there was a fear that there was nothing left to be discovered and the mysteries were gone. In this age of heroes, those fears have faded with discoveries far beyond the natural world. From planets and galaxies far away from ours, many have turned their focus upward into the stars. While this focus on what is above has led to many advancements in scientific research, there are still many discoveries to be had in the world around. Despite the excitement of new discoveries, there should be a level of caution. For some mysteries are not meant to be solved and some legends are not meant to be discovered. There are legends of monsters and evils that dwell throughout the farthest reaches of the planet. One such creature was once a man, a scientist that sought to help mankind through his research. Tragedy fell when an accident fell upon this once brilliant scientist, Dr. Theodore Sallis. This accident caused Dr. Sallis to become the Man-Thing. After years of adventure as the Man-Thing; Dr. Sallis or Ted as he is known to his friends, would soon find himself in a new adventure. Deep within the Amazon, there is a myth that has frightened the natives since before their ancestors could remember. A myth that centers around the frightening territory known as The Black Lagoon..."

Magnetic Ferrit Presents

"Man-Thing in the Black Lagoon"

Players
Man-Thing..............Doctor Theodore "Ted" Sallis
The Creature from the Black Lagoon......Gill-Man
Written by: Boratz
In Association with the C.B.U.B.

Upon the ever-beautiful Amazon River, a riverboat flowed past the majestic plants and curious wildlife. There was a thick humidity that pushed down against boat while high temperatures surrounded the world around. This riverboat was on an expedition to a lagoon that had frightened many of the locals for generations. For the locals, they had said that this lagoon was a paradise in which no one has ever returned. This lagoon was known to many as the Black Lagoon. While many of the nearby tribes and locals warned the expedition not to venture toward this haunted spot, they had a goal to accomplish. Before they went forth on this scientific expedition, they had heard other stories surrounding a creature of the swamps. It was a creature that had been seen a time or two throughout the world, but recently there were sightings within the thick jungles of the Amazon. Everyone on the expedition had simply dismissed these stories as just silly folktales that were told to unsuspecting outsiders. 

This riverboat that dared stand the rivers of the Amazon was known as Rita. The Captain was known as Lucas, and the leader of the expedition was Dr. Mark Williams, who could only see the financial benefits of the discoveries of Dr. Carl Maia. Dr. Maia was joined by a friend and former student of his by the name of Dr. David Reed. Under Dr. David Reed was one of his research assistants and fiancé, Kay Lawrence. They were also accompanied by Dr. Edwin Thompson. Dr. Maia had recently discovered a fossil from a previous geological expedition. This fossil was that of a hand from the Devonian period with webbed fingers. The researcher felt a great deal of satisfaction over his discovery as he believed that this was the discovery of a lifetime. He felt that this discovery would prove that there was direct link between animals of the land and sea. Many of his colleagues at the marine biology institute thought that it was a waste of time and resources as a result of the knowledge of Namor and the existence of Atlantis. Dr. Maia argued for his research to be heard, and fought for funding time and time again. With this fossil, he was given full reign to pursue this expedition into the mysterious Black Lagoon. 

It was quite an expedition indeed into the unknown that would promise uncertainty in a world that is not widely seen by many. Little did the crew of Captain Lucas' boat, or the expedition team of Dr. Williams know that they would soon uncover a creature that would prove to be a danger to those that were unfortunate enough to come across it. Some of these unfortunate souls were a couple on Dr. Maia's previous research team that stayed behind at the camp near the infamous Black Lagoon. These men collected samples from the lagoon and took photos of the area around. Emerging from the waters, a creature caught a glimpse of these intruders while they conducted their experiments. Within this creature of the Black Lagoon, a fear and anger started to linger. The creature could not allow these intruders to destroy its home. With a quiet movement, the creature stalked the intruders until they were separated. One by one, the creature from the Black Lagoon killed the intruders. Their screams were lost in the endless forests of the Amazon. 

While the crew of the Rita set sail on the Amazon River, David could not help but smile at his fiancé while she waved at the children that they passed along the river. Kay laughed while the kids ran up to the banks of the rivers and waved at the riverboat. As the boat moved along the river, Kay was amazed by fish swimming within the water and the different wildlife that lived in the vast forests. With a deep breath, a warm smile formed across her cheeks. This land seemed peaceful compared to other parts of the world that she was used to. Suddenly, she saw something within the trees that caught her by surprise. It was a brief moment, but it almost appeared to be a creature that looked to be one with the forest. She felt as if her mind was playing tricks on her as she could have sworn the creature had bright fiery red eyes. Kay shrugged i off what she had seen as nothing more than her mind playing tricks on her. David saw the look on her face and stepped closer to his fiancé.

"Everything alright?" David asked with a gentle gaze.

"It's nothing. My minds just playing tricks on me." Kay responded.

"What was it?" David asked.

"I thought I saw a tree like creature with bright red eyes. The sun is probably getting to me." Kay responded while shaking her head. 

"I'll get you some water." David said while reaching into his pack for a canteen of water. "You know, I heard a legend before we left. A legend of a creature. They said that whatever or whoever knows fear burns at the Man-Thing's touch. Huh... Probably just the sun though."

Kay took a sip from the canteen and gazed into David's eyes. She asked him softly, "What else did they say about this Man-Thing?"

"I'm not sure..." David laughed. "We left shortly after."

The two continued to talked while storm clouds started to form overhead. Heavy rain poured down from the skies and the river started to move with a great force. The rapids raced with a fury that the Rita had only seen a few times before. While Captain Lucas steered the boat with all that he had, the Rita shook with a great intensity. The winds started to howl as the Rita continued down the raging River. During the chaos, Kay was pushed into the furious waters. David screamed as he scrambled to find a way to rescue the love of his life. He looked in horror as the river pulled Kay far away from the boat. With the heavy rainfall and the dark clouds above, everything became a haze. Kay struggled to keep her head above water, but suddenly she was pushed again a fallen tree. Her vision became dizzy as her head started to throb in pain. In what should have been the end for the young woman, something reached into the raging river to pull her out of the water. 

Blood ran down her head as she gazed up above her. Everything became blurry around her while she tried to keep herself conscious. She then saw a glimpse of those same bright fiery red eyes that she had seen earlier. Kay then saw a full view of the creature that rescued her from the river. In that moment, everything went dark. The next thing she knew, she saw David kneeling over her. Kay looked around and found herself back on the Rita. The storm had ceased and her head was wrapped in a bandage. David pleaded that they turn back..

"We are not turning back! We are on the brink of one of the greatest discoveries of any of our lifetimes. We will not risk that over a bump on the head and a little rain!" Dr. Mark Williams growled.

Kay shook her head. "It is okay, David! I'm okay! I want to keep going!" Kay said while her thoughts dwelled on the creature that saved her life. 

"That settles it then!" Dr. Williams said with a smile. "We keep going!"

David continued to sit beside his fiancé and comfort her as they continued on their journey.

"We do not have to keep going." David said with a concerned look.

"David, I'm fine!" Kay snapped. Her eyes then met his and she opened up to him. "Something pulled me out of the river. Something with bright red eyes. I think the legends may be true."

"What do you mean?" David asked.

"I want to find out what this Man-Thing is." Kay said with a warm smile. "It saved me."

"Then I want to help you." David said while hugging his fiancé. 

Upon arriving at the camp that Dr. Maia had left behind, they found that everything was in disarray. The two men that had originally assisted Dr. Maia were nowhere to be found. The team believed that the men were killed by a wild animal, and the thought of turning back had lingered amongst the group. Despite the tragedies that fell upon the expedition, Dr. Williams insisted that they keep going.

"The locals believe that the Black Lagoon is a cursed paradise. None that have ventured there have ever returned." Captain Lucas groaned as he looked over the remnants of the campsite.

"If no one has ever returned from this Black Lagoon..." Dr. Williams said with a sarcastic grin. "Then how do the locals know that it is a paradise?"

"It could be dangerous." David said while glancing at Kay.

"You cannot have success without risk." Dr. Williams responded. 

Kay nodded at her fiancé with a small smile. While the men started loading up the supplies from the camp and salvaging what they could from the damaged equipment, Kay went for a swim. She hoped that she would get a glimpse of the thing that rescued her from the raging waters, but she had no such luck. From within the water, the creature that had killed the men at the camp had watched the young woman swimming around. The dark eyes of the creature widened while watching the woman swim. At one point, the creature had a desire to approach this woman but the noise of the others had caused it to retreat deep into the bottom of the river. 

With the riverboat loaded up with the research equipment, the expedition to the Black Lagoon had continued on. The Rita had seen much since its creation, but this journey had been a test for the riverboat. Through raging rapids caused by a harsh storm and creatures only few had ever come across, this riverboat was experiencing an adventure of a lifetime. Traveling through a narrow river, the crew could only speculate what could be beyond their sights. The narrow view had soon widened as they finally reached the legendary Black Lagoon. The legends were true as the beauty of this place was breathtaking. This lagoon was a hidden paradise that had not been touched by men.

"Anymore sightings of your mysterious savior?" David asked while looking warmly upon his fiancé.

"Not yet." Kay responded with a grin. "I know what I saw, David."

"I believe you, Kay. In a world with mutants, billionaires in metal suits and big green rage monsters...." David said with a grin. "It is not far from the realm of possibility."

Deep within the trees, the fiery red eyes of the Man-Thing gazed upon the crew of the Rita. The Man-Thing groaned and grumbled as he stared at the different members of the research team. He then slowly turned and walked along the thick forest that surrounded the legendary lagoon. 

The crew had started setting up the camp. David and Mark gathered their equipment in order to go diving in the strange waters. Throughout their careers, both David and Mark had seen many underwater habitats but there was something different about the underwater world of the Black Lagoon. There were rock formations and fossils that were unlike anything the two men had ever come across. Both men had collected these rock samples from the bottom of the lagoon. 

After returning to the Rita, Kay decided to go for dive. She wanted to explore the waters of the Black Lagoon and maybe even see if she could find the identity of the creature that had saved her life. While swimming deep within the waters of the lagoon, the murderous creature that had watched Kay earlier had started following her within the mysterious lagoon. The creature that was covered in gills had stalked the young woman until it found itself caught in one of the drag lines of the ship. This creature from the Black Lagoon tore itself free from the drag line, but had lost track of the woman.

The creature slowly surfaced on the top of the lagoon. From behind trees and plants, it watched the riverboat from afar. It could see that the woman it had been following as she walked upon that strange boat. Several thoughts ran through the mind of the creature as it plotted on taking the woman down into the lagoon. The creature had longed for a bride so that it may have a kingdom of creatures once again. As the creature watched from afar, the ship's Captain had approached Dr. Mark Williams and Dr. Maia. He had something clutched tightly in his hands.

"This was found in one of the drag lines." Captain Lucas said while offering up what appeared to be a claw.

Dr. Maia took the claw and started to carefully examine the find. As for Dr. Williams, he had a smile that went from ear to ear.

"That does not look like a fossil, Dr. Maia." Dr. Williams said while pointing out upon the waters. "There is a live specimen out there." 

"It could be dangerous..." Dr. Maia said with a troubled look. "Perhaps even territorial."

"You can't have success without risk. We can capture it. This won't only make us rich, my friend, this is a Nobel prize " Dr. Williams said.

"It could be the very thing that destroyed my camp and..." Dr. Maia responded while reflecting on in his assistants that had vanished. "Took my friends."

"Then if we cannot capture it, we can kill it. Dead or alive, this is the discovery of a lost species in a time long forgotten." Dr. Williams replied.

With night approaching, the crew of the Rita prepared themselves for bed. The creature that dwelled within the Black Lagoon, ventured onto the ship in search of the beauty. In a moment of fate, the creature stumbled upon Dr. Edwin Thompson and Kay while they were putting equipment away for the night. Edwin let out a screech as the creature attacked him. Kay was able to fend the creature off with some of the equipment that she had in her hands. Alive but severely injured, Edwin held on while the crew did all that they could to keep him safe. 

"This expedition is over!" Captain Lucas declared while getting the boat ready.

"Nothing is over!" Dr. Williams screamed. 

"We are done here." Dr. Maia responded.

"We leave at sunrise." Captain Lucas said while ignoring the frustrated glare of Dr. Mark Williams.

With dawn, came what was supposed to be an end to the expedition. From within the trees, the fiery red eyes of the Man-Thing could see the creature from the Black Lagoon knocking trees down over the river. The Man-Thing let out a groan as he started walking toward the river.

The Rita stopped and the crew gazed upon the fallen trees. Captain Lucas knew that they had to get the trees out of the way in order to escape this dangerous paradise. While the crew worked to get past the fallen trees, Dr. Williams had a plan come through his mind. He glanced at Kay and then at the waters below. This was his last chance at glory, and he was not going to let it disappear from his finger tips. He quietly made his way toward Kay. Dr. Williams put his hand over her mouth and led her to the edge of the boat. 

"You are coming with me." Dr. Williams hissed.

He dragged Kay into the water. With all of her strength, Kay was able to break free from Dr. Mark Williams and jumped as far as she could into the water. She knew that she had to get away from him. Dr. Williams took a rifle and jumped onto the fallen tree. He knew he had only one shot to take out the creature. 

Suddenly, the creature from the Black Lagoon emerged from the murky water. Kay's eyes widened as she gazed upon the creature that was covered in gills. With all of her strength, she tried to swim away. The creature was fast and wrapped its arms around the struggling beauty. Dr. Williams grinned as he aimed his rifle at the creature. He then felt the fallen tree shaking beneath him and heard a growling noise. Dr. Williams turned his head and saw a creature with fiery red eyes. Before he could react, the Man-Thing grabbed ahold of the prideful scientist. Dr. Williams unleashed a blood curdling scream as his bought was engulfed in flames. The Man-Thing threw the remains of the scientist into the waters below and turned his attention to the creature from the Black Lagoon. 

The creature that was covered in gills witnessed what had transpired. It dragged Kay onto the riverbank, and the Man-Thing followed close behind. The crew of the Rita watched in horror at what had just happened. They struggled to get to land in hopes that they may rescue Kay. David jumped into the water and swam to the edge of the river. He was going to do whatever it took to save the woman that he loved.

As he ran through the woods, he witnessed the Man-Thing in a battle against the Creature from the Black Lagoon. He saw Kay in the arms of creature from the Black Lagoon and.....

Wow, I've missed a few matches lately. Gotta play catch-up ... 

Another great set-up, Boratz. After reading up on Gill-man, this match apparently reads a lot like the film he's from and gives a good horror-adventure vibe. 

As for the match, with Man-Thing's myriad of abilities, he should be able to deal with Gill-man and rescue Kay. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DSkillz said:

Wow, I've missed a few matches lately. Gotta play catch-up ... 

Another great set-up, Boratz. After reading up on Gill-man, this match apparently reads a lot like the film he's from and gives a good horror-adventure vibe. 

As for the match, with Man-Thing's myriad of abilities, he should be able to deal with Gill-man and rescue Kay. 

Thanks DSkillz! I was definitely trying to give an adventure vibe on this along with what if Man-Thing got tossed in the film A Creature from the Black Lagoon

Match Final Results

Member Ratings:
4.00 - broadwaybeyonder
5.00 - Venom 2009
5.00 - StormChaser
4.60 - DSkillz

FPA Calculation:
4 Total Votes cast
18.60 Total Combined Score
18.60 / 4 = 4.65 Final Rating on the match

MATCH SCORE
Man-Thing: 5