MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

Rumble 20548 Maui (Moana) vs. Skar King
MATCH SCORE
Maui (Moana): 4
Skar King: 1

Match 18439 Walter White vs. Dr. Sam Beckett

Theorizing that one could time travel within his own lifetime, Doctor Sam Beckett stepped into the Quantum Leap accelerator - and vanished. He awoke to find himself trapped in the past, facing mirror images that were not his own, and driven by an unknown force to change history for the better. His only guide on this journey is Al, an observer from his own time, who appears in the form of a hologram that only Sam can see and hear. And so Doctor Beckett finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong and hoping each time that his next leap... will be the leap home.

When the blue lights faded around Sam, he found himself standing in badly lit room.  The process of leaping was always followed with a few moments of disorientation before he could collect his bearings.  His thoughts were interrupt with sound of a metallic desk being scraped across the floor.  Sam’s vision cleared to see a well-dressed woman sat in a chair.  A stocky, bald man stood over her and was cuffing her to the table.  “Mike!  Mike!  Mike!” she pleaded. 

“Shut! Up!” the man barked.  Sam looked around the room as he saw a third person, a young man in a red shirt and black jacket, setting up another chair to sit in front of… a computer?  Sam hadn’t seen one like that in 1995. 

The bald man, who Sam presumed was Mike, finished cuffing the woman to the table.  She breathed shakily as he walked around the table to Sam.  “Give me your phone,” he said. 

Sam looked at Mike’s implacable face in confusion.  “My… what?”  Mike’s eyes narrowed as he kept his voice low and intense.  “Reach into your pocket, and give me your phone.”  Sam reached into his jacket pocket and felt something inside.  He pulled out a small device he hadn’t seen before.  Mike yanked it from his hands and shot him a dirty look before sliding a panel and pressing some buttons.  “Alright, Lydia,” Mike said, turning his attention to the scared woman in the chair.  “My friends here don’t know you like I do, so they are very kindly giving you one last chance.” 

“Oh boy,” Sam said quietly under his breath. 

Mike pulled out a pad of yellow paper and tossed it on the grated table in front of Lydia.  “There’s your script.  Study it,” he said.  “In about 30 seconds I’m going to dial Agent Schrader on your line here, and you’re gonna pass along this information, and then we’ll se what we see.  But here are the rules: If you yell for help, try to give the man some kind of coded message, or otherwise tip him off, I am gonna pull out my pistol, and shoot you in the head.” 

Sam couldn’t believe the matter of fact way the man gave these instructions and threats.  “Same goes for panicking, breaking down into tears,” Mike went on.  “Remember how you like to do that?  If it happens this time, I am gonna pull out my pistol, and shoot you in the head.” 

“Oooooooh boy,” Sam muttered, holding his head.  Lydia glanced at him and the man at the computer in confusion.  “Don’t look at them,” Mike said warningly.  “Lydia.  Look at me.”  Lydia turned back to Mike as Sam took a step back from the table. 

“If you make Schrader suspicious in any way, any way at all, tell me what’s gonna happen next.” 

Lydia looked up at Mike with fear in her eyes.  “You’ll put out your gun and shoot me.” 

“And where will I shoot you?” 

“In the head.” 

“In the head, that’s right.  And it’s a pistol, not a gun.  I’m expecting precision here.” 

Sam groaned and took another step back, bumping into some pipes that clanged.  Mike glared at him and the young man got up from his computer.  “Mr. White?  Yo, Mr. White, you ok?” 

“What’s wrong with him?” Lydia asked nervously.  “Is he alright?” 

“Shut up!” Mike snapped. 

The man hurried over to Sam as he desperately tried to collect himself.  “Mr. White, what’s wrong?”  Sam held up a hand to steady himself.  “Yes.  Um, yes, I’m ok.  I’m fine.”  The young man looked in concern.  “Are you sure?  Are you with me?  It’s me, Jesse.”  Sam reached up and adjusted the glasses he was wearing.  “Jesse.  Right, of course, Jesse.  It’s alright.  Just uh… little dizzy.” 

“Well, you better get it together quick.  Mike wants this done right.  No telling who this bitch’s been talkin’ to.”  Sam patted Jesse on the shoulder.  “You just go back to… Mike.  I… just need to clear my head.” 

“Don’t wander too far, yo!” Jesse shouted as Sam walk toward the parts of the room obscured by shadows.  Jesse shook his head and walked back to chair.  Mike stared impatiently.  “We up and running?” 

“Yeah,” said Jesse.  “Computer’s set.” 

Sam wandered through what he now could tell was an abandoned basement until he came upon a broken mirror.  He looked at his reflection to finally to get his first look of the person he had leapt into.  It was an old, weary face that scowled back him.  He was bald and had glasses, and dressed in dark dress shirt with a blue jacket.  “Just who are you?” Sam asked his reflection. 

“I’ll say this,” familiar voice said.  “You got to admit we go to all the high-class spots in this line of work.”  Sam turned to see Al, holding his handlink in one hand and a cigar in the other.  He was also dressed in one of his usually loud shirts.  His hologram walked through a stone pillar to get to Sam.  “I mean, you’ve leapt into warzones, suburbia, insane asylums, and now look at you,” Al snarked.  “Standing in a black hole, literally in the middle of nowhere.” 

“Al, I don’t have time for this,” Sam said.  “Who, where, and when am I?” 

Al clicked a few buttons on his handlink and checked the results.  “Who?  Walter White.  You just turned 51, so mazel tov.  You live in Albuquerque, New Mexico where you worked as chemistry teacher.  As of your right now, your ‘where’ is Houston, Texas, and your ‘when’ is… September 2009?”  Sam’s eyes went wide.  “2009?  That can’t be right!  I’ve never leapt into the future!” 

“Well, you have now,” said Al.  “Hey, like you told me, you leap anywhere in your lifetime.  2009 is just a hop, skip, and a jump from 1995.” 

“We can figure that out later,” Sam went on.  “Al, there’s a guy over there who’s threatening to shoot a woman in the head!  What’s a chemistry teacher from Albuquerque doing with these people?” 

“According to Ziggy,” said Al, checking the handlink.  “Our boy Walt got diagnosed with the big C in 2008.” 

“Cancer?” 

“No, cooties.  Yes, of course, cancer!  Lung, to be specific.  He understandably freaked and was afraid that he didn’t have the funds to support his family after he kicked it.  That’s when it’s believed that he started to…”  Sam stared at Al as he fell silent.  “Al?” 

“Look, Sam, you got to understand!  He had wife and two kids to support!  A baby girl, and boy’s got cerebral palsy!  He felt he had to…” 

“What, Al?  What is Mr. White doing?” 

Al gave a big sigh.  “Manufacturing methamphetamine.” 

Sam’s jaw dropped.  He leaned against a pillar, took off his glasses, and rubbed his eyes as he gave a short laugh of disbelief.  “I’ve leapt into a drug dealer?” 

“More like drug lord,” said Al.  “He’s just… taken care of a few of his biggest competitors in the area.  Apparently he’s clearing a ton of money from this operation.  Even dragged his wife in to help launder it all.  Huh.  Family who pays together…” 

“None of this makes sense!” 

“Tell me about it.  If my chemistry teachers at my school were handing out drugs, kids would have probably paid a lot more attention in his class.” 

“Al,” Sam breathed, desperately holding on to his composure.  “How is Ziggy telling you all of this?  She’s in 1995!  How could she possibly know about events that for her haven’t even happened yet?” 

“She’s saying the information is being uploaded from… another unit?” Al said, furiously pressing buttons on the handlink. 

“What other unit?!”  Al looked sheepish at Sam.  “Ziggy.”  Sam raised an eyebrow and glared at Al.  “Don’t look at me like that!  Especially with that face.  Sheesh.  This Walt is very intense guy.  I’m just telling you what Ziggy told me.  Another Ziggy, one apparently claiming to be from 2030, is beaming all kinds of data to our Ziggy in ’95.  And don’t ask me to explain because I think I’m on the verge of becoming the first hologram to ever get a headache.” 

“Of course!” Sam said suddenly.  He started pacing excitedly around Al.  “Ziggy keeps track of all of my leaps.  If the project is continuing in the future, our future, then it’s possible for Ziggy to make a note of when to communicate to us now!  A sustained time loop!” 

“Yeah, of course,” Al said unimpressed.  “Now if we can get back to the matter of the lady with the gun to her head?  Her name is Lydia Rodarte-Quayle.  She’s your methylamine supplier.  You think that she planted a tracker on a barrel to get out of working for you.  Uncle Fester is Mike Ehrmantraut, former Philly cop now cleaner and hitman.  Ziggy is getting the creeps from this guy.  Almost no information on him, like a ghost.” 

“But what about Jesse?” asked Sam. 

“Scrappy-Doo?  That’s Jesse Pinkman.  A former student of yours, ironically enough.  You spotted him when your brother-in-law, Agent Schrader took you on a ride along.  You got him to partner up with you and oooh.”  Al paused as a line of data crossed the display of his handlink.  “You’ve proceeded to you use him as an emotional punching bag for the next 2 years.” 

“So why am I here now?”  Sam asked in frustration.  “If I was supposed to stop Walter from going down this path, why wouldn’t I leap before all this happened?” 

“Because something big is coming,” said Al.  “In order to save herself, Lydia is going to let you and your merry men in on where a train carrying a ton of methylamine is.  You can use the meth you make from that to cash out you and Jesse and walk away from all of this.” 

“I’m going to rob a train?!” 

“And maybe save a life.”  Al’s voice grew somber as the handlink beeped.  “The same day that this heist is supposed to go down, a boy named Drew Sharp went out for a ride on his dirt bike into the desert and disappeared.  When they found his body years later, the police say he was shot.”  Sam looked back at the table where Lydia was attempting to calmly talk on the phone.  “He must have seen something.  They killed him to keep it quiet.” 

“But he might not have to!” Al said.  “Both Ziggys are calculating a 74% chance your leap can be activated if you can complete this heist, and save Drew.”    

Sam considered, then nodded as he put the glasses back on.  “Sounds good enough for me.” 

“Great!” said Al.  “And you need to deal with the small matter of the Neo-Nazi gang.” 

Sam glared at Al.  Al coughed and clicked a button to summon the door back to his time.  “But we can talk about that later.” 

Sam sighed as Al disappeared.  Then Sam cracked his neck, and marched back to the table, ready to put right what once went… bad. 

OK:

The events of this match up take place during the Breaking Bad episode “Dead Freight.”  

Sam has leapt into the body of Walter White.  To everyone around him he looks and sounds like Walt. 

Sam wins by successfully pulling of the train heist, while ensuring that Drew doesn’t get shot. 

Walt wins if Sam is unable to change history and things proceed as they did in the show. 

Game On! 

As for the match itself, I'm leaning toward Beckett. I'm not too familiar with Quantum Leap but from what little I've seen and read. He seems like he has experience getting out of situations like this; pulling off the heist and making sure Drew is safe

• Like 1

THE BOTTOM LINE

It had been a trying week for Dr. Sam Beckett.  With assistance from Al and the future Ziggy, he had been able to navigate the life of Walter White.  Despite his disgust at leaping into a drug dealer, Sam had begun to develop a sense of pity for the man.  His family was in shambles, his life was one life threatening scenario after another.  But now he found himself kneeling in the desert by a train track, his eyes fixed on the gauge detailing how much methylamine had been drained into the tank.  The plan was impressive; pump out the methylamine, and replace it water so the tanker car would weigh the same.  Of course, the plan had been made more difficult thanks to the good Samaritan who was offering to move the truck that had stopped on the track out of the way of the train. 

“You pull your guys off the train right now,” Mike barked over his radio.  Al’s hologram furiously tapped buttons on his handlink.  “You’ve got the time.  Drew’s predicted to be here any minute.” 

“We’re not done yet!” Sam shouted over his radio to Mike.  He glanced down at the gauge as it creeped closer to 900, then back up at Jesse and Todd by the train.  “You better have this right, Al,” Sam said under his breath. 

“Ziggy says you need to break 1000, then switch it off,” Al said. 

“The track is clear, Walter,” hissed Mike.  “I said get out of there!” 

“It has to get to 1000 to reach the level of dilution reported when the train got weighed in Texas!” Al said. 

“I just don’t get this guy!” muttered Sam.  “He could have settled for 920, but no.  He has to go the extra hundred for no reason.” 

“Walter!” Mike’s voice cut through his thoughts.  “They are back in the locomotive.  If you don’t abort right now, you are gonna get us all busted!” 

“You’re almost there, Sam!” urged Al.  “Just a little bit more!” 

Sam held out his hand towards Todd on the top of the tanker to signal him stay put.  The train’s bell began to whistle and it’s horn to blow.  “Mr. White!” shouted Jesse, perched by the tanker car on the tracks.  “Al,” Sam said urgently. 

“Just a little bit more and you got it, Sam!” 

“Hey!” barked Jesse. 

“Hold it!” called Sam.  “Hold it steady!” 

“Ziggy says that Drew should be driving from the north,” said Al.  “Let it hit 1000, and tell these guys to shut off the hoses!  You’ll only have a few seconds to cut off Drew.  Make ‘em good, Sam!”  The gauge quickly scrolled through numbers until reaching the 1000. 

“Go, Sam!” cried Al. 

“NOW!” yelled Sam.  “CLOSE IT OFF!  CLOSE IT OFF!” 

Jesse and Todd leapt into action, pulling out the hoses and sealing up the tanker.  But Sam wasn’t focused on them.  After shutting off the water, he ran under the train trellis and into the desert.  He pushed past some scraggly bushes to see a boy sitting on his dirt bike, looking at a glass jar with a tarantula inside of it. 

The boy turned around and nearly fell off his bike in surprise at the sight of Sam.  Al’s hologram appeared behind him, checking the readout on the handlink.  “Okay, you found him.  Now you just got to get this kid out of here.”  Sam took a step towards Drew.  “Hello, Drew,” he said.  Drew’s eyes went wide with confusion.  “That is your name, isn’t it?” asked Sam.  “Drew Sharp?  What have you got there?”  Drew mutely held up the jar.  Sam bent over to get a better look.  “Ah, a tarantula.  Quite a specimen.  Don’t you think you should take it home to show your folks?  They’re probably wondering where you are.” 

“Sam, the train’s moving out!” Al said.  “Bevis and Butthead will be down from the trellis in a few seconds!  Do something!” 

“I know!” Sam snapped.  Drew continued to stare at the strange man who was yelling at no one.  Sam turned back to Drew, and gave the most fearsome, stone-faced look that Walter White’s face could muster.  “I think it’s time for you to go home.  Now.”  Drew gulped and looked into the eyes of Walter White.  “NOW!” Sam shouted.  The boy quickly tucked the jar onto his bike, revved the engine and took off into the desert. 

“I don’t believe this!” Al said in wonder, staring at the handlink.  “The Ziggys are confirming, but there’s not a trace of Drew telling anybody about what he saw.  He might not have even seen you guys pulling off the heist!” 

Sam laughed in relief.  “We did it!  We saved him!” 

“You better hurry back to your crew, Sam!” 

Sam hurried back to the other side of the trellis as Jesse pumped his fist to the sky.  “Yeah, bitch!” he shouted towards the train.  He slapped the chest of Todd and called out to Sam.  “We did it!”  Sam nodded to Al.  “We sure did.”  Al puffed a cigar in approval as once again the blue lights surrounded Sam. 

When the lights disappeared, Sam was standing at a podium.  His right hand was raised in the air, and he could hear a woman’s voice.  “Do you swear the evidence you shall give the court in this matter shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth so help you God?”  Sam’s vision and mind were still clearing from the leap, but he almost subconsciously felt compelled to answer.  “I do.” 

With his vision fully restored, Sam could see that he was standing in a court room.  He could hear the gallery behind him and see a woman in judges robes sat before him.  He glanced down at the loud suit that he wore as the judge addressed him. 

“Mr. Goodman, you are now under oath.  Any false statement you make can be used in prosecution for perjury, or obstruction of justice.  Do you understand?” 

“Oh boy,” Sam said under his breath.