Michelangelo (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Michelangelo (Mirage): 7
Ken Masters: 4

Guardian (Marvel Comics) vs. Captain Britain
MATCH SCORE
Guardian (Marvel Comics): 0
Captain Britain: 4

Agent Carter S03E13 Rumble 18015 Black Terror and Miss America vs. The Kangaroo and Hammerhead (Marvel)

broadwaybeyonder

Episode 13: Pass the Ammunition

August 10th, 1947.  Manhattan, New York.  The laboratory of Doctor Jonas Harrow. 

Bob Frank winced as he opened his eyes.  He was still strapped down to a gurney, a single bulb lamp swinging above him.  He could feel a throbbing sensation in his head, as well as the spot on his arm where that madman had… 

Bob suddenly shot back into consciousness.  Maddie!  The man who had attacked him and fought with her.  The man with the ring who spoke so clear and calm.  He had to find Maddie.  He pulled up on the straps that held his arms, grunting furiously.  He was so focused on the task, he didn’t notice that the leather straps were not just giving way, but tearing.  His muscles had grown stronger, and with a mighty flex, the restraints snapped loose.  It was so sudden and with such force that Bob started falling off the gurney.  He braced himself for the fall, and tried to get his feet under him. 

Much to Bob’s astonishment, he did land on his feet.  Bob looked around in confusion for a moment.  There couldn’t have been enough time to stick the landing.  But he pushed those thoughts aside.  “Maddie?” he shouted and started for the screen covered doorway.  In an instant, he had dashed 10 feet from the fallen gurney to the entrance.  Bob looked behind him in confusion.  He never had been that fast.  For that matter, after all he had gone through these past few days, he shouldn’t be able to stand let alone run.  Bob started walking back towards the gurney, and again he seemed to reach his destination in a mere second.  An exhilaration overcame Bob, who started dashing and darting through the room, past the rows of screeching test animals, around the gurney and back to the doorway.  He stopped, not even breathing heavy.  “Gee whiz,” he said softly.  It must have been whatever that crazy doctor had injected him with.  Yes, he had said something about making him fast. 

Then, Bob could hear voices coming closer from down the hall.  He rushed back to the gurney, set it up right, and leapt onto it closing his eyes.  He heard the voice clearer now.  It was the voice of the man with the ring. 

“How is Mr. Carter today?” asked Fennhoff.  “Yankee Doodle?  Heh.  Still nutty as ever,” Hammerhead snickered. 

“Just see to it that he stays in his cage.  And what of Miss America?” 

“Like Sleepin’ Beauty, doc,” said Kangaroo.  “Are you sure you couldn’t wake her up?  Me and Hammer have been cooped up here ever since the Count left.  Couldn’t we have a little fun?”  Fennhoff looked disgusted at the two enforcers.  “You are not here for ‘fun’.  You are here to guard these prisoners.  No change on the husband?”  Hammerhead pulled aside the screen to reveal Bob Frank, laid out on the gurney.  “Nothin’.  We checked his ticker like you said.  He’s been dead for the last 2 days.  Harrow thought he'd wake up, but he just kicked the bucket.”  Bob held his breath and tried to be as silent as possible.  Fennhoff shook his head.  “Such shoddy work.  No matter.  You will accompany me to collect my notes.  I shall then make my final analysis of our subjects.  Then we can dispose of them along with Mr. Frank.” 

Bob exhaled quietly as he listened to the heavy footsteps of Hammerhead and Kangaroo fade off down the hallway.  He then cast aside the straps and raced out the door, turning to run the opposite direction of the gangsters.  “Got to find Maddie,” he said under his breath, as he ran from room to room.  He sped down the hallway and made a turn, then hurried back.  Something had caught his eye.  It was a one way mirror, through which Bob could see a man with his back to him.  He was wearing a cape and mask, and tricorn hat lay discarded on the floor.  It was the same man who had attacked Bob and Maddie.  He was clutching his head, groaning in agony.  “Hey!” Bob shouted.  “Hey, you!”  The man didn’t answer.  The room must have been sound proofed.  Bob banged his fist on the glass, then looked down in surprise at it when he didn’t feel any pain.  He banged on the glass again, then again and again, faster and faster.  He could the glass begin to vibrate with every strike.  Bob gave a cry of frustration and finally the mirror shattered apart. 

Fighting Yank looked up in confusion as Bob peeked through the broken glass.  “Hi there.  Um, I have a few questions to ask.”  Fighting Yank lunged through the windowpane and Bob easily speeded out of his way, holding out his hands.  “Take it easy.  I don’t know what this is all about and what’s going on, but I know that you aren’t going to beat up on me so easily like you did at my house.”  The Fighting Yank glared at Bob.  “You.  You took her from me!”  Bob cleared his throat and attempted to sound braver than he felt.  “If you mean Maddie, buddy, she happens to be my wife.” 

Miss America has been compromised.  Eliminate!  Eliminate!  “Stop talking!” Bob jumped from Fighting Yank’s sudden outburst.  He took a deep breath and took step toward the crouched hero.  “Look, mister.  All I know is you and me have got the same problem.  The kooks who run this place sound like they are planning to waste all of us.  You understand that?”  Fighting Yank nodded.  “Typical procedure.  Must eliminate all evidence.” 

“Yeah.  Right,” said Bob.  “That means you, me, and Madeline need to get out of here.  Now, can you help me with that?  Then maybe we can find somebody to help you out.”  Fighting Yank gave a humorless laugh.  “Help.  Oh, they’ll help.  They’ll throw me a cell like they did before.   Lock me away to hide the truth.”  Bob held out a hand to Fighting Yank.  “Listen to me.  Please.  I’ve seen you fight.  If you help me, then I promise I’ll do whatever I can to get you and Maddie the help you need.  You have my word.  What do you say?”  Fighting Yank looked at Bob’s hand uncertain.  Rescuing Miss America is top priority!  This civilian will only get in your way.  The Carter’s didn’t need any help from….

“Enough.”  Fighting Yank looked up into Bob’s eyes and took his hand.  “You have a deal.”  Bob helped Fighting Yank to his feet and gave a cautious smile.  “Wonderful.  Now, try to keep up.”  Bob started purposefully walking slower, but his speed was so great he still managed to be several feet ahead of Fighting Yank, who jogged to keep up. 

After a few minutes of searching, the would be rescuers came to a stop some 10 feet away the open door of another cell.  Through the doorway and the one-way mirror, they could see Fennhoff circling the chair where Miss America sat restrained and unconscious.  “It has been a pleasure to meet you, Miss Joyce,” Fennhoff’s voice floated into the hall.  “And I’m sure your country appreciates your service.  But, sadly, the time is drawing near for you to depart.”  He withdrew a syringe and inserted it into a vial of liquid.  “One last tranquilizer should be able to deaden your powers enough to complete the task.” 

“He’s gonna kill her!” Bob whispered urgently to Fighting Yank.  “You wait here.  I’ll whizz in there and…”  But Fighting Yank had already charged into the cell with a cry.  Fennhoff looked up in alarm at the charging hero.  He dropped the syringe and reached for his ring, but before he could speak Fighting Yank and shoulder tackled him into the stone wall.  By the time he had slid dazed to the floor, Bob had ran into the room to Madeline’s side.  “Maddie!  Maddie, it’s Bob!”  He quickly undid the restraints, allowing Madeline to slide from the chair into his arms.  He held her close and stroked her face with his hand, his voice growing more desperate.  “Maddie.  Please, wake up!”  Fighting Yank looked on as Bob fought to hold back tears, then gently kissed her forehead.

Madeline’s eyes slowly opened.  She looked up at Bob, squinting to clear her vision.  “Bob?” she asked wearily.  “Is it still my birthday?”  Bob gave a soft laugh and hugged Madeline tight.  “Yeah, yeah it is.  Happy Birthday, Maddie.”  Madeline turned and moved closer to Bob at the sight of Fighting Yank.  “Don’t worry,” Bob said.  “He’s on our side.  I think.”  Bob slowly assisted Madeline to her feet, while she still looked at Fighting Yank.  “Yes.  I really think he is.  It is you, Bruce?”  Bruce Carter III pulled off his domino mask and gazed longingly at Madeline.  “Hello, Madeline.  I… I’ve… missed you.”  Bob moved Madeline to sit in the chair, giving a wary look to Fighting Yank.  “You guys wait here.  I’ll take a look around to see if I can find an exit around here.” 

Bob Frank ran out the doorway, only for the sound of a thud to be heard.  Madeline and Bruce looked up in alarm at the sounds of a struggle.  Madeline struggled to her feet.  “Bob?  Bob!” Bob Frank tumbled back into the cell and fell to the floor.  The doorway was soon filled up with the profiles of Hammerhead and Kangaroo.  “Well, well,” said Hammerhead.  “Guess the doc was right about this clyde after all.  Too bad he doesn’t have enough sense to watch where he’s goin’.  He ran right into us!”  Kangaroo leered at Madeline.  “Too bad about your man.  Maybe you’d like a trade in.”  Bruce moved to Madeline’s side.  “This is going to get ugly.  Are you up for this?”  Madeline’s eyes narrowed as her glance shifted from her downed husband and his attackers.  “For my husband?  I’m up for anything.” 

OK:

Miss America is at half strength, Fighting Yank, Hammerhead, and Kangaroo at full strength.  Bob Frank (The Whizzer) is unconscious. 

Can Miss America and Fighting Yank escape the Maggia’s clutches? 

Stay Tuned and Find Out! 

Game On!

Learn More About
Miss America
Read more about Miss America at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics Links: Wikipedia Toonopedia Marvel Database

Black Terror
Read more about Black Terror at Wikipedia
Official Site: Public Domain Links: Wikipedia Public Domain Super Heroes Wiki International Hero

Hammerhead (Marvel)
Read more about Hammerhead (Marvel) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Entertainment Links: Wikipedia Comic Vine Marvel.com

The Kangaroo
Read more about The Kangaroo at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Links: Wikipedia

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

August 10th, 1947.  Manhattan, New York.  The laboratory of Doctor Jonas Harrow. 

Hammerhead and Kangaroo were sent flying out the doorway by Miss America and Fighting Yank’s punches.  They scrambled to their feet as the heroes took to air and hovered above them.  “You’ll pay for that you, mugs!” Kangaroo cried.  He gave a leap towards Fighting Yank who threw a backfist that knocked him out of the air.  Miss America looked on in approval.  “Glad to see you do that on someone else for a change.”  Fighting Yank looked flustered.  “Maddie, I’m sorry.  I needed to talk to you, to make sense of what had been happening to me, and…”  Focus, soldier!  The enemy still needs to be dealt with! 

“I know!  Stop it!”  Miss America was about to ask who Fighting Yank was talking to, only for Hammerhead to give an angry roar.  He charged headfirst towards her and she flew out of the way.  He continued on his way into the cell, coming to a sudden halt as his head slammed into the wall.  He grunted and growled as he tried to free himself.  Miss America peeked back into the cell and waved cheekily at the mobster.  “Yoo hoo!  I’m over here!”  Fighting Yank grabbed her arm.  “Maddie, what are you doing?  Remember our training!” 

“I barely remember how we got trained!  But If you want me to get down to business, fine!”  Miss America swooped into the cell just as Hammerhead had gotten himself unscrewed from the wall.  He turned around right into a left cross by Miss America, who winced as her fist made contact with the metal enforced cranium.  Hammerhead shook off the effects of the blow and tapped on the plating.  “Nothin’ can break this dome, lady.  You know what that means?”  Miss America folded arms, and pursed her lips in mock thought.  “Hmm.  That someone could use your head as a coffee table?”  Hammerhead charged forward again, but this time Miss America went low.  She swept the legs out from under Hammerhead, letting him sprawl on the floor.  Then she flew back into the air, only to slam down feet first onto his back.  Hammerhead gasped for air and groaned in pain as Miss America flew over to Fighting Yank and examined her handiwork.  “Not bad, huh?  I guess I remember more than I thought!” 

“Maddie!  Look out!”  Miss America turned to look back into the room as Fennhoff struggled to his feet.  He put his hands to his ring, and scowled at the heroes.  “’Whites of their…” Before he could finish, Miss America and Fighting Yank could hear the whoosh of air as Bob zoomed across the room to grab Fennhoff by the throat and pin him to the wall.  Bob raised his fist as stared stoic at the doctor.  “I don’t know how fast I can go, but I bet I’m fast enough to knock you out before you say another damn word.”  Miss America and Fighting Yank stepped into the cell, and Miss America wrapped her arms around her husband.  “Oh, Bob!  I was so worried about you!  But… What happened to you?”  Bob chuckled softly.  “I guess the same thing that happened to you.  You know most wives would tell their husbands if they can fly.” 

“I didn’t know myself!”  She pointed at Fennhoff.  “But this man!  Yes, I remember now!  You came by our house, said you were doing a survey for something.  Ever since then I’d been having memories popping in my head!  And then I got that box with this costume, and…  Oh, dear, I’m so sorry I’ve got you mixed up in this.”  Bob lowered Fennhoff to the floor and hugged Madeline.  “Don’t worry, dear.  I trust you.”  He looked over at Fighting Yank cautiously.  “Um, but how exactly to you know this fella?”  Madeline looked back and forth at the two men, giving a nervous laugh.  “Well, I think when I was getting these… powers, Bruce and I were the ones who were able to fly.  So we practiced together and…”  Madeline’s eyes suddenly went wide.  “Oh no!  The others!  Where are the others?” 

“What others?” Bob asked.  “The other people!  There were three, no!  Four other people in our squad!  This man was asking me about them!”  Fighting Yank lifted Fennhoff by his lapels and glared down at him.  “Who are you working for?”  Fennhoff’s breathing quickened as sweat beaded down his forehead.  “Nefaria!  Count Nefaria!  Please, if you just take a moment to fo…” 

“Quiet!”  Fennhoff flinched and closed his eyes in fear as Fighting Yank leaned in.  “Where is this Nefaria?” 

“Catskills!” Fennhoff coughed.  “He’s gone to your bunker in the Catskills!”  Bob looked at Madeline in confusion.  “Is this making sense to you, Madeline?” 

“I think so, dear.  In my dreams, I can remember flying over trees and hills.  What about you, Bruce?”  Fighting Yank lifted Fennhff to his feet.  “Yes.  That’s where we received the treatments, where we practiced.  What does this Nefaria want with the bunker?”  Fennhoff could only wheeze as Fighting Yank’s grip tightened.  Finally, Fighting Yank roared in disgust, and threw Fennhoff behind him.  The force of the throw sent the unfortunate psychologist flying past Bob and Madeline, out the door and threw a wall.  Bob and Madeline looked on as Fighting Yank punched a hole in the cell door, letting in the sunlight and the sounds from the street below.  He perched on the edge as Madeline rushed to join him.  “Wait!  What are you doing?” 

“The bunker is in jeopardy.  That means everything it contains could be in enemy hands.  I have to stop them!  It’s my mission!”  Fighting Yank leapt off the ledge only for Madeline to grab hold of his cape.  “You can’t go there on your own!”  Bob rushed to Madeline’s side.  “You’re not serious thinking about going with this guy!”  Madeline looked back at her husband, her face determined.  “I’m sorry, Bob.  But everything in me is saying we need to get to that bunker!”  Bob took a deep breath, then gave a wry smile at Madeline.  “Well, I guess it’s a good thing I can keep up with you now.” 

“Then what are you waiting for?!” shouted Fighting Yank.  “Roll out!”  Fighting Yank soared out of Madeline’s grasp and started flying north.  Madeline took to the sky after him, and Bob leapt off the ledge before running down the side of the building and down the road beneath them. 

In the ruins of a cell, Fennhoff coughed and spluttered and attempted to shift debris off of his body.  He couldn’t feel his legs, and he couldn’t see in the dimly lit room.  But he could hear a sound, the sound of squeaking.  He dragged himself out to the center of the room, and saw a sign that had been hanging outside the door of the cell he had landed in.  It was a name: J. Manfredi. 

The squeaking grew louder, and as Fennhoff looked up at the ceiling of the room his eyes began to adjust to the darkness.  From the ceiling hung a dozen cages filled with bats.  Fennhoff recoiled from the sight, but froze when he heard another noise.  It was an animalistic growl.  Fennhoff’s eyes grew wide at the creature that emerged from the shadowy corner of the cell.  It wore the tattered remains of a well tailored suit.  But Fennhoff could now see the wings underneath the creatures arms.  See the large ears on it’s head.  And the bared fangs and empty stare in it’s eyes.  Fennhoff tried to move away from the creature.  “Please.  Please, Mr. Manfredi.  Please, take a moment to foc…”  Fennhoff’s words were drowned out by his screams, as the being that once was Joseph Manfredi lunged for him with claws and fangs. 

Next Time: Why Don’t You Surrender?