Mutagen Man: 2

Rumble 20587 Nathan Drake vs. Vastatosaurus Rex
MATCH SCORE
Nathan Drake: 1
Vastatosaurus Rex: 3

Night Shift Chapter 6 Match 17729 The Night Shift (Marvel) vs. The Headmen

broadwaybeyonder

Chapter 6: I Was Working In The Lab…

Shroud surveyed the laboratory from inside the tube he was trapped in.  Across from him the Werewolf clawed at his own enclosure.  To his left, however, was another man strapped to a large, metallic chair.  “Please, please!” he begged desperately.  “You!  You with the face!  Please!  You’ve got to get me out of here!”  Shroud raised a hand to his face, feeling that his mask and hood were gone.  The man could clearly see the blank eyes and the scarring that covered the upper half of his face.  “Where are we?” he asked, his voice sore. 

“Where are we?”  The man laughed hysterically, then suddenly became panicked again.  “This is where they do their experiments.  Where they put us to learn how to create more creatures.  Like that… thing in the cage!”  Shroud could sense the Werewolf’s fury as it slammed against it’s cage.  Shroud reached up and touched the wall of his cell, and instantly received an electric shock.  He drew back in pain as the door to the laboratory opened and Dr. Wyndham and Dr. Ohn walked in.  “So, how are our new subjects?” Ohn asked cheerfully.  Shroud didn’t reply and Werewolf simply growled.  “Now, now, there’s no need to be bad sports about this,” Ohn said.  “It’s an honor to be chosen by the Headmen.  Just imagine!  Wants we discover the secrets of your powers, we’ll be able to duplicate them for the highest bidder!  Of course, you both will probably be dead, but you’ll live on in spirit!  And science!” 

“Enough of your prattling, Ohn,” Wyndham said bored.  “For the moment, let us turn our attention to Mr. Tarleton.”  Tarleton renewed his struggle with the chair’s restraints.  “Please!  I’m telling you, I just worked for AIM as a janitor!  I don’t know anything about what Killian was up to!  I don’t know nothing about Extremis!” 

“Don’t worry, Mr. Tarleton,” Wyndham said nodding to two lab techs who moved to either side of the chair.  “You may not have given us information.  But you will still be useful as our subject.  Dr. Ohn?”  Ohn was distracted looking at the chair.  He snapped out of it and pressed a button on his iPad.  “Oh yes, Dr. Wyndham!”  The chair suddenly hummed to life, as electricity shot from it directly into Tarleton’s head.  He screamed in agony and Shroud slammed into the cell wall but all he received was a shock of his own.  “That’ll do you no good,” Ohn lectured.  “That is the same material they were using to contain Zero Matter in the 40s.  I figured you used similar stuff.  It is odd.  We’ve heard reports of someone matching your description in New Orleans, right down to the outfit.  But he could use the Zero Matter to teleport himself.   If we could copy that power in you… ha ha!  This will be fun!”  Shroud slumped back in the tube, the repeated shocks taking their toll. 

Meanwhile, at the Tower of Shadows, the Night Shift was in the living room screaming and arguing with each other.  With the exception of Needle, Hannibal and Terri, all the other Night Shift-ers were debating who was to blame for their trouble. 

“I can’t believe this!” ranted Hangman.  “We have a man who can see into the future, and we still got ambushed and outplayed!” 

“My powers only look a minute ahead,” Tick Tock said haltingly.  “By that time it was too late.” 

“So what good are you?!” 

“You’re one to talk, creep!” snarled Misfit.  “All you got is that stupid piece of oversized dental floss!” 

“Hey, don’t be like that, Misfit,” snarked Digger.  “The floss is with him!” 

“Say one more stupid joke, and we’ll see just how much pain a corpse can be put through!” 

“All of you be silent!” Dansen yelled over the room.  Suddenly a gunshot rang out.  All the Night Shift turned to face Hannibal, who had shot his gun at the ceiling.  Dansen nodded.  “Thank you, detective.”  Hannibal shrugged and holstered his gun as Terri looked at him in shock.  “Just what kind of nightmare have you gotten me into, Hannibal?” 

“We cannot go on like this,” Dansen went on.  “We need to decide our new course of action.” 

“Look at you, talking like you’re running something,” Barton Grimes sneered.  “I was Shroud’s second in command.  Leadership of the team falls to me.” 

Barton got in Dansen’s face as Percy tried to hold him back.  “And I say the leader of this gang should be the people with most power.  Not some screw loose ballerina.” 

“And you think it should be you and your clown of a brother?” Hangman barked.  “It takes more than power to run this gang.  I should be in charge and I say our new course of action is hitting Tombstone hard!” 

“But what about Shroud?  And Jack?” asked Moth.  Hangman shrugged.  “Casualties of war.” 

“I don’t believe this!” Terri shouted.  The Night Shift all turned to look at her and Hannibal.  “Um, Terri, better just stay out of it,” Hannibal whispered.  “Hell no!” Terri snapped.  “I’ve been dragged into this because of you and this freak show you got here!  And I have something to say about it!”  She turned back to the dumbstruck Night Shift.  “I know Hannibal has told me a little bit about you people.  You’re criminals, thieves, even killers.  But apparently he left out that you were idiots and cowards!”  The Night Shift bristled at that as Hannibal put his head in his hands.  “This Shroud guy is your leader.  And right now these Headmen people have him and an innocent man prisoner, getting ready to do who knows what to them!  So how about you stop sitting around yelling like a bunch of children, and actually use your powers to do something?!” 

Digger and Misfit snorted with laughter.  “Please, lady,” said Misfit.  “Do we look like the Avengers to you?” 

“No,” Terri said coldly.  “The Avengers wouldn’t hesitate for a second to save one of their own.   Especially the one who brought them together in the first place.”  The room fell silent again.  Dansen turned to the Night Shift.  “Well?  What say you?  Do we allow the Headmen to get away with humiliating us?  Or do we get our revenge?”  Moth, Tatterdemalion, and Needle nodded.  Tick Tock sighed.  “I suppose I could track his communicator.  It could at least give us a general location of where to look.” 

“You’re not seriously listening to this?” asked Barton.  “You have no idea what the Headmen have waiting for you!” 

“Which is why they might need a little magic, brother,” Percy interrupted.  Barton rolled his eyes and shrugged in agreement.  Dansen looked at Hangman, Digger, and Misfit.  “And what about you three?”  Digger looked over at Terri.  “Great speech.  10/10.  I’ve always wanted to fight mad scientists to save a werewolf.  I’m in.” 

Misfit and Hangman remained silent.  Hannibal cleared his throat and stepped forward.   “I’m sure you two will be able to find lots of people you can beat the hell out of.”  Misfit looked at Digger and nodded with a grin.  “Hey?  Why not?  I want to get a look at these Headcases myself!  Show you how easy you can bust ‘em up!”  Hangman glared at Dansen, then sighed and folded his arms.  “Fine.  You win.  What’s the plan?” 

OK:

The Night Shift:

Dansen Macabre, Moth, Tatterdemalion, Tick Tock, Needle, Digger, Misfit, Brothers Grimm, Hangman, Hannibal King, and Terri Lee, all at full strength.  If they can find and rescue Shroud and Werewolf, they will be able to join the fight. 

The Headmen:

Gorilla Man, Shrunken Bones, Ruby Thursday, Chondu the Mystic, Jack O’Lantern, 8-Ball, and the                Orb, plus 50 mercenaries, all at full strength. 

If the Night Shift can rescue Shroud and Werewolf, trash the lab, and defeat the Headmen, they win. 

Game On!    

• 3 weeks later...

AND NOW (finally) THE CONCLUSION

Shroud screamed in agony as Ohn increased the shocks.  His darkness was beginning to fill his tube and travel through a series of pipes into another chamber.  “Very good!” Ohn said gleefully.  “Now all we need to do is provide the proper stimulation to cause the Zero Matter to assume it’s other forms!”  The door to the lab opened and Chondu’s mechanical legs carried his head inside.  “Dr. Nagan would like a progress report on our guest.”  Ohn was about to answer when Wyndham quickly spoke.  “We are able to induce a state that allows us to force the subject to activate his powers.  As yet, Dr. Ohn’s teleportation theory is still theoretical.” 

“Then I’m sure you wouldn’t mind if I take a look inside this one’s mind?  Perhaps it may give is insight on his allies, as well as his powers.” 

“Er, I’m not sure,” Ohn stammered.  “He is in a lot of pain.  How could you possibly read his…?” 

“Just check the instruments, Ohn,” Wyndham snapped.  “Leave the rest to Chondu.”  Chondu gingerly stepped past the Werewolf’s cage and stood before Shroud’s prison.  He closed his eyes as Shroud continued to fight to resist Ohn’s equipment.  “Your will is strong, subject,” Chondu murmured.  “But not invincible.  Let’s see.  Yes.  I can see your allies.  First in your thoughts is… a lady with silver hair.  Dansen.  You have feelings for this woman?”  Shroud slammed his fists against the tube and grimaced in pain.  “Ah yes.  Very strong.  And also a strong desire to protect Mr. Russell, and the one who calls herself… Moth?  Yes.  Sybil Dvorak.  Percy and Barton Grimes.  Arnold Paffenroth…” 

An alarm starting blaring through the laboratory.  “What the hell is that?” Wyndham shouted.  “Remain here, Dr. Wyndham,” Chondu said as he clattered to the door.  “You continue the experiments with Dr. Ohn.  We shall deal with this.” 

Through the halls of the underground bunker of the Headmen stormed the Night Shift.  Digger and Misfit charged into crowds of mercenaries and tossed them aside.  Hannibal and Terri hanged back and watched as Tatterdemalion, Hangman, and Needle all viciously dispatched any who stood before them.  Orb gestured toward the mercenaries.  “Come on, you punks!  Get up and fight!”  His shouts were cut short as Needle’s blade was stabbed straight through the eye of his helmet. 

8-Ball swung his pool cue only to have it blocked by Digger’s shovel.  “You are gonna be so dead, freak!” he snarled. 

“What do you mean ‘gonna’?  I already am!”  8-Ball ducked under the blade of the shovel, charged up the cue, and delivered a shot right to Digger’s chest.  He was sent flying down the corridor and into a wall.  “Laugh that one off, wise guy!”  Moth’s wings swiftly carried her over 8-Ball to snatch the pool cue out of his grip.  “Take ‘em, Tatter!”  Tatterdemalion leapt onto 8-Ball and placed his gloved hands on his helmet.  The helmet began to turn red with heat and 8-Ball howled as his head began to boil within his own helmet. 

A pumpkin shaped grenade exploded sending mercenaries and the Night Shift scattering.  Jack O’Lantern flew toward the fray only to be met by the Brothers Grimm on their clouds.  Percy pulled a rope out from his sleeve and threw the end of it to Barton.  The flew towards Jack O’Lantern then veered off, still holding the rope between them.  It clotheslined Jack O’Lantern and sent him falling off his hovercraft and right into waiting fist of Misfit. 

“Where to next, Tick Tock?” asked Dansen.  Tick Tock closed his eyes and concentrated.  “If we take the left, we are guaranteed to encounter more guards.  I say our best bet is to the right.” 

“Actually, your best bet is to turn back now.”  Nagan and Ruby Thursday stepped out from behind the corner.  “So glad you all could join us.” 

“What have you done with Shroud and Russell?” said Dansen coldly.   “Oh I assure you, my dear, your friends are being well cared for as they give their lives to science.  And so will you.  Dr. Thursday, if you please?”  A dozen tendrils sprung from Ruby’s sphere and lunged toward the Night Shift forcing them to scatter.  Misfit charged with a roar toward Nagan who leapt over him and grabbed hold of a pipe on the ceiling.  “You are a dumb animal, primitive,” he said as he flipped on top of Misfit and wrapped his hands around his throat.  “I am the perfect combination of genius intellect and brute strength.” 

“You’re a frickin’ monkey!” Misfit choked.  Digger swung his shovel and caught Nagan square on the head.  He turned to Dansen and shouted.  “Keep going!  Leave ‘Planet of the Apes’ and Miss Mad Ball to us!”  Dansen nodded and ran down the hallway, followed by Hannibal, Terri, Tick Tock, and Moth.  Hangman’s rope tangled itself in the tendrils approaching him.  He drew a knife and pulled it back to swing, when he was distracted by a clattering from above him.  He looked up just in time to see Chondu crawling on the ceiling before pouncing down on him.  Hangman dodged the spider-like metallic legs as he looked up in shock at the head perched on the platform.  “It is useless to resist, invader!”  He raised his legs for another strike only to have them parried by Needle.  Tatterdemalion grabbed a hold of the back legs and the metal started to burn red.  Within seconds, the acidic touch had caused the strut to break off in Tatterdemalion’s grip.  Hangman and Needle shoved forward, causing Chondu to tumble to the ground, his remaining legs waving in the air.  Hangman glared at Needle and Tatterdemalion.  “I would have gotten him.”  Needle and Tatterdemalion shared a look, before leaping out of the way the Ruby’s tendrils. 

The sounds of blaring alarms, shouting, and running footsteps were heard outside of the laboratory.  Wyndham turned to Ohn.  “We need to evacuate.  We must stop the experiment.” 

“But we’re so close!” Ohn whined.  “I’m detecting something developing in the canister!  Just turn up the amperage another 50% and we’ll have it stabilized!”  Over the cries of pain of Tarleton and Shroud, Wyndham shrugged and made the adjustments.  Something did seem to be developing in the canister that was collecting Shroud’s Darkforce energy.  With a final spark of electricity, the shape became clear.  It was the shape of the tattoo scarred into Shroud’s face.  Ohn and Wyndham looked on in amazement as the projection contracted, then suddenly expanded and shattered the canister.  Bolts of black lightning shot out of the image, causing electrical equipment to explode.  Another bolt struck Tarleton in his chair, and his screams for mercy were reduced to a high pitched wail. 

Ohn peeked out from behind a desk, a look of sheer joy on his face.  “I did it!  I did it!  We made the portal!” 

“Shut it off, you idiot!” Wyndham yelled as Hannibal, Terri, Tick Tock, and Moth ran in.  “Shroud!” Moth shouted.  “We need to get him out of there!” 

“What the hell is that?!” Terri said, pointing at the portal.  “We don’t have time for that!” Tick Tock yelled over the roar.  “My visions predict that within 40 seconds that… thing is going to collapse and explode!”  Hannibal darted for the control panel next to Shroud’s prison, only for Ohn to leap onto his back.  Hannibal struggled to get the scientist off of him.  “No!  No!  You can’t take him!  This is my project!  You can’t take him away!” 

“Get off, Frankenstein!  Didn’t you hear?  We’re all dead unless I get him out of that machine!”  While Hannibal tried to free himself, Moth ran to the Werewolf’s cage.  She looked at the keypad then at Terri.  “Are you attached to that jacket?”  Terri stared at the jacket she wore in confusion.  “I got it as Christmas present.  Why?” 

“Don’t worry.  If this goes wrong, I’ll buy you a new one.”  The jacket started unravelling and the threads snaked into the cracks of the keypad.  Terri could only stand and glare at Moth as the remnants of the jacket hung loosely to her.  “You could at least have asked.”   The Werewolf snarled and Moth looked at it.  “Take it easy, Russell.  Just a second.”  Unobserved, Wyndham slowly stepped out a side passage and disappeared. 

Hannibal finally flung Ohn off his back, but in the struggle his gun had slid from his holster to the ground.  Ohn quickly scrambled to the gun and aimed it at Hannibal.  “I’m very sorry, sir,” he said.  “But your gloomy friend isn’t going anywhere.”  With the sound of snapping plastic and electric surges, the keypad Moth was picking at fell apart.  The bars of the Werewolf’s cage lowered into the floor.  It looked at the mad scientist with the gun, then at Moth.  She nodded.  “Sic ‘em.”  The Werewolf charged toward Ohn with a howl.  He turned and froze in terror as the beast drew closer.  “Oh no.  Nonono!  Good boy!  Nice doggie!  Be a good doggie!”   The Werewolf leapt forward and battered Ohn with his paw.  The scientist was sent sprawling into the Shroud symbol, then disappeared.  There was the sound of Ohn’s screams, then the symbol folded in on itself and collapsed, vanishing into thin air. 

The Werewolf sniffed the air where his prey had vanished in annoyance.  Hannibal returned to Shroud’s tube and pressed a few buttons on the side of it that caused the tube to rise up into the ceiling.  He caught Shroud as he collapsed toward the floor.  “Take it easy.  We got you.”  Shroud turned his sightless eyes toward Hannibal.  “Well, detective.  I see I wasn’t wrong in choosing you to be a part of my organization.” 

“Swell.  Make me employee of the month.  Right now we need to get to the others and get you out of here.” 

“Hannibal!”  Hannibal turned to Terri and carried Shroud with him.  She was standing next to the upturned chair that still housed Tarleton.  He sat unmoving and unbreathing, while the electronic equipment buzzed around his now enormous head.  “What have they done to him?” Terri asked in shock.  “Another of the Headmen’s experiments gone wrong, I fear,” said Shroud.  “But Mr. King is correct.  It is time for us to make out exit.” 

Hannibal’s team ran back down corridors to where the rest of the Night Shift did battle.  Ruby Thursday’s projections had morphed into razor blades that she swung at the Brothers Grimm.  They dodged them on their clouds as Moth flew to them.  “We’ve got Shroud and Russell!  Make with the magic!”  Percy nodded.  “Right then, everyone!  Get close together!  Time to go!” 

“Oh come on!” Misfit grunted, as he and Digger traded blows with Nagan.  “I’m just about to get this guy!’ 

“Misfit!” Shroud shouted.  “Now!”  Misfit shrugged then delivered a final punch that sent Nagan flying into Ruby.  The Night Shift gathered in the center of the hallway as Percy and Barton each pulled out a silken handkerchief from their sleeves.  They threw them towards each other and the two handkerchiefs melted together to form one enormous one.  “Make sure you focus, Barton,” Percy said.  “Or this isn’t going to be a long trip.” 

“Oh shut up and let’s do it already!” Barton grumbled.  The Brothers Grimm threw the giant handkerchief into the air and flew their clouds under it.  The entire Night Shift stood covered in the cloth.  “How pitiful,” said Chondu.  “Do they really think they can outwit us with parlor tricks?” 

“Allow me to finish them, Dr. Nagan,” hissed Ruby.  “Oh by all means, my dear,” said Nagan.  “Deliver the final blow!”  Ruby raised her arms and her sphere produced dozens of blades.  They all stabbed into the cloth, but no outcry was heard.  Ruby pulled back her blades and took the cloth with it, revealing that the Night Shift was gone.  Chondu looked in confusion as Ruby’s tendrils slammed the floor in frustration.  Nagan’s eyes narrowed on the spot where the intruders had been.  “Very well, Shroud.  You have won.  This day.” 

Ohn opened his eyes to find himself inside of a cage.  He groaned and held his head.  His white lab coat had disappeared, and now his entire body was white and covered with black spots.  But he was too busy nursing his headache to notice.  That nasty Werewolf had hit him, he had fallen backwards toward the portal and then… 

Ohn looked up through the bars of the cage to see that he was in a lavish sitting room.  A curtain blocked the view to the rooms beyond, and in front of him was a couch.  Lying on the couch were two Asian Indian women, wrapped in silks, one red one purple.  They smiled and looked down on Ohn, who looked up at them in confusion.  “Umm, hello?” 

“Hello,” the women said in unison.  “I am Sister Ushas,” the woman in purple said.  “I am Sister Shaya,” said the one in red.  Ohn stayed on the floor of the cell, neither his confusion or his headache improving.  “Am I… dead?  Or dreaming?  I think I had dreams like this before.”  The two women chuckled and rose from the couch.  “Oh no, brother,” said Ushas.  “You are very much awake.” 

“And alive,” chimed Shaya.  Ohn rolled over to his side and rose to his feet, using the bars of his cage to steady himself.  He looked at the bars and the sudden realization hit him.  “Why am I in here?  You can’t put me in here!  Where am I?” 

“Patience, brother,” soothed Ushas.  “This is the will of Khali.  In preparation of your blessing.” 

“Blessing?  What are you talking about?”  The sisters glanced at each other and smiled knowingly.  “Your blessing, brother,” said Shaya, gesturing to him.  “See?”  Ohn finally looked down, and saw his newly gotten spots.  He yelped in terror.  “What have you done to me?” he said, scratching at himself in a vain attempt to rid himself of the spots.  “Get these things off me!” 

“But they are your gift, brother,” said Ushas.  “Your gift from Khali.” 

“Well, I don’t want a gift from Khali or Cardi or whatever his name is!” Ohn snapped.  “Get me out of this cage!  Now!”  The sisters simply stared and smiled as the scientist banged on the bars of his prison.  Unnoticed by Ohn, a black spot began to form on the ground beneath him.  “Do you hear me?!  I don’t want to be in this cage anymore!  I want to get out nooooooooooooow!”  Ohn took a step backward and fell into the spot.  It closed in on itself just as another spot appeared on the ceiling of the room.  Ohn fell out of the spot and landed with a thud on the couch.  He rolled off it and clattered to the floor. 

Ushas and Shaya stood over Ohn and nodded to each other.  “The Mother is wise and generous,” said Ushas.  “All praise for her blessings!  All praise to Khali!”  Ushas raised her hands to the sky and looked up in blissful reverence.  “All praise to Khali!” said Shaya, following suit.  Ohn remained on the floor, looking up at the two women as the worshipped.  “Umm, yay?” 

Next Time: Who Run the World?