Rumble 20587 Nathan Drake vs. Vastatosaurus Rex
MATCH SCORE
Nathan Drake: 1
Vastatosaurus Rex: 3

Michelangelo (Mirage) vs. Ken Masters
MATCH SCORE
Michelangelo (Mirage): 7
Ken Masters: 4

Night Shift Chapter 4 Match 17551 Hannibal King and The Night Shift (Marvel) vs. Doctor Bong

broadwaybeyonder

Chapter 4: Clang!  Clang! 

Hannibal King stood on the rooftop of the abandoned building, looking out at the LA skyline.  The three days had come and gone, and he had found what Shroud had asked him for.  It had taken a fair amount of convincing to get Terri to look over this Russell guy’s phone.  “You are out of your mind!” she had said in the parking lot of LAPD HQ.  “You want me to do a phone dump on a phone and not let the cap know?” 

“I know it’s a big ask, Terri, but trust me.  There may be something on this phone that can help us get Lincoln.  We can finally get him off the streets for good!” 

Terri raised an eyebrow.  “Just what have you gotten yourself into, Hannibal?” 

Even now, Hannibal still wasn’t entirely sure.  But before he could get serious consideration to going down the fire escape and back to his one room apartment, the shadows rolled in around him.  He turned to see Shroud behind him.  “Good thing you showed up,” King snarked.  “If I kept hanging around up here people would think I was going to jump.”  Shroud didn’t look impressed.  “Do you have the information I requested of you, detective?”  King held up Russell’s phone.  “Gave this thing the works.  Russell was in contact with someone who called herself Alex Bell.  Fake name, of course.  My contact tells me it is alias used by a Lester Verde.  College kid, lives in the suburbs.  I’m going to check it out.” 

“No.”  King looked confused.  “What do you mean, ‘no’?  You said you want to know who this guy is to lead you to whoever is after your people.” 

“I simply meant, detective, that you won’t be checking this lead out on your own.”  The darkness faded back to reveal Moth and Tatterdemalion in civilian outfits flanking him.  “My associates, Moth and Tatterdemalion, will accompany you.  In order that this Mr. Verde may be more… cooperative in revealing what he knows.” 

“Now, wait a minute!” King interrupted.  “I don’t need anyone’s help to interrogate somebody!” 

“Shroud did not ask your permission,” snapped Tatterdemalion.  “Relax, Tatter,” said Moth.  “This’ll be just like an episode of ‘Law & Order’.”  King looked resigned at Shroud.  “I guess I don’t have any choice here, do I?”  Shroud shook his head, then let his darkness envelope him, leaving King, Moth and Tatterdemalion on the roof. 

Following the climb down the fire escape, the three piled into King’s 2008 Buick.  There was an awkward silence as King drove through the congested streets.  King finally broke the silence by turned to Tatterdemalion sitting next to him.  “So.  Tatterdemalion.  I seem to remember hearing some of the vets in LAPD talking about you.  Assaults.  Arsons.  How did you wind up with Shroud?”  Tatterdemalion held his gaze straight ahead.  “None of your business, detective.”  Moth leaned in from the back seat.  “Don’t mind him, King.  He’s feeling extra old today.   I can tell you my life story if you’re interested.  You remember the Gala a few months back in New York?” 

“I.. don’t know.  Wait.  Wasn’t there some kind of wardrobe malfunction?  People’s outfits falling apart?”  Moth smiled proudly, using her powers to allow a thread from her shirt to come loose and levitate in front of King’s eyes.  Everyone’s outfits.  Leaving me free to snatch a cool 15 mil.”  King batted the thread away.  “I thought the money from the Gala went to charity.”  The thread returned to Moth’s shirt as she replied.  “Sure.  That’s what they say.  Charities that those rich morons support, putting money into their own pockets.  I was just making sure it got where it needed to go.” 

“While keeping 4 million for yourself,” smirked Tatterdemalion.  Moth huffed and leaned back in her seat.  “Let’s just be clear here,” King said.  “When we get to this Verde kid’s house, I call the shots.  We find out what the kid knows, nobody does anything crazy.  Okay?  Or this deal is off.”  Tatterdemalion looked at King with a cold stare.  “We are professionals, detective.  Just remember that should you do something ‘crazy’, Shroud has given us permission to prevent you from compromising our organization.”  The conversation in the car fell silent once more. 

The car came to a stop outside of a two story suburban house.  The three exited the car and King knocked on the door.  A short women in her 50s with fading brown hair answered the door.  “Afternoon, ma’am,” King said.  “I’m Detective Huey.  This is Officer Lewis, and News.  We’re with the LAPD and we have some questions.  Is this Lester Verde’s residence?”  The woman looked annoyed at the three, then looked over her shoulder and yelled.  “Lester!  Honey!  Get your butt downstairs right now!” 

“Coming, Mom!”  She turned back to King.  “Come on in, detective.  I’m Leslie Verde, Miss Verde, Lester’s mother.  Is this about that computer junk?  I had a feeling Lester was making a mistake buying all that stuff off eBay.  Come in, come in.”  Miss Verde led the trio into the house, not before Moth shot a dirty look at King.  “Huey, Lewis and News? Seriously?”  King shrugged as they walked into the cramped living room.  “This isn’t about him messing around with web cams again?” Miss Verde went on.  “I’ve always said he was to smart for his own good.  You’re not here to arrest him, are you?” 

“No, Miss Verde.  We just want to ask him some questions.”  King was interrupted by the sound of feet running down the stairs.  It was Lester Verde, in his mid 20s with red hair and beard.  “Hey, Mom!  What’s going on in here…”  Lester stopped when he noticed King.  He slipped on a pair of glasses.  “Um, who are these people?” 

“They’re with the police!” Miss Verde said in a loud whisper.  “They want to talk to you about that computer junk in your room!  I told you it was probably stolen.” 

Mom!” Lester said through gritted teeth.  King stepped in between them.  “We’re not here to talk about computer junk, Lester.  We’re investigating a case of a man name Jack Russell.”  Lester started to sweat.  “Russell?  Um, er, I don’t know any Russell.” 

“Really?” said Moth.  “Well, to be fair he didn’t really know you, seeing how you called yourself Alex Bell.” 

“You pretended to be a girl online?” Miss Verde said in shock.  “Oh where did I go wrong!” 

“Mom, it’s not what you think!” 

“And it isn’t what you think either, Lester,” Tatterdemalion said.  “We have Russell’s phone.  We know you used an alias to gain his trust and set him up for a meeting with people who tried to murder him.”  Lester took a step back and fell into a chair.  “Murder?!  No, you don’t understand!  I didn’t think they were gonna hurt him!  They told me they just wanted to find him!”  King leaned in toward Lester’s face.  “Who?  Who told you to catfish Russell?” 

“You better tell them the truth, Lester,” prattled Miss Verde.  “For once in your life do something right for a change.” 

“SHUT UP, MOM!” Lester snapped.  Miss Verde was dumbstruck as Lester put his head in his hands, then looked up at King.  “They in got in contact with me months ago.  I had submitted my research on sound waves and sonics.  They said they would be give me more equipment and funding if I worked for them.”  King grabbed Lester roughly by the shoulders.  “I need a name, Lester.  Or I can’t guarantee that the D.A. won’t prosecute you for conspiracy, kidnapping, and attempted murder.  Give me the name!” 

“The Headmen!” Lester choked.  “They call themselves the Headmen!”  King let Lester go, then turned to face Miss Verde, Moth, and Tatterdemalion.  “I think we need to take a look at Lester’s room.” 

“I don’t know what’s going on around here,” said Miss Verde.  “But I have a feeling you people better get a warrant if you’re going to nose around my house.”  Tatterdemalion turned to Moth.  “Or we may need to take Lester to the… station.  For further questions.  Wouldn’t you agree, Officer Lewis?”  Moth gave a defiant grin toward King.  “Took the words right out of my mouth, Officer News.” 

“No one’s taking anybody anywhere,” King barked, not noticing behind him as Lester pulled out a small circular device from his pocket.  Moth’s eyes widened.  “Detective, look out!”  Lester swiftly slammed the circular device onto a wooden coffee table and dropped to the floor.  The device started beeping out the familiar melody of the Carol of Bells.  King’s heart sank.  “Oh what the…” 

At that instant the device blasted out a wall of sound that sent everyone flying.  Windows and mirrors shattered, and everyone covered their ears in pain.  As the noise died down, Lester leapt to his feet and ran up the stairs.  “Moth!” shouted King, his ears still ringing.  “Are you alright?” 

“Yeah, wonderful,” Moth yelled back.  “Except I can’t hear a damn thing at the moment!”  King drew his pistol and ran up the stairs.  “Officer News!  Get outside the house and guard the perimeter!  Officer Lewis, stay Miss Verde!” 

“But I want to get the guy!” Moth shouted as Tatterdemalion staggered for the door.  Miss Verde was behind the couch holding her head.  “Look it at my house!  That stupid, stupid boy!  Look what he’s done to my house!” 

“Oh shut up,” Moth said.  Part of Miss Verde’s sweater inexplicably came undone and wrapped around her mouth to silence her.  King reached the top the stairs and slowly walked to the door that Lester had disappeared through.  He gently grasped the doorhandle, then flung the door open, gun at the ready.  Before him, with his back to the door, stood Lester, adjusting a red cape that covered the purple onesie he wore.  He placed a bell-shaped helmet on his head, and a gauntlet with a golden sphere on the end of it on his left hand.  Lester turned to face the dumbfounded detective.  “You think you can stop the Headmen?  You will never defeat the guardians of science!  Or the genius of Doctor Bong!”  With a swift gesture, Lester slammed the golden sphere against his helmet.  Booooooong!!!  The vibration sent Hannibal flying out of the room and onto the stairs.  “So much for nobody doing anything crazy,” he muttered under his breath, fighting to stand up Doctor Bong approached him. 

OK:

Hannibal King (Peak human, police training, gun) (For those of you who know him from Blade, he hasn’t reached that point yet), Moth, and Tatterdemalion vs Doctor Bong (Younger version of the original character with the same powers and traits)

If Doctor Bong escapes, he wins.  If King, Moth, and Tatterdemalion catch him, they win. 

Game On! 

Learn More About
Hannibal King
Read more about Hannibal King at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics Links: Wikipedia Marvel Database Marvel Universe

The Night Shift (Marvel)
Read more about The Night Shift (Marvel) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Links: Wikipedia

Doctor Bong
Read more about Doctor Bong at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics Links: Wikipedia

AND NOW THE CONCLUSION

Hannibal King drew his revolver and fired, but the bullets ricocheted off of Doctor Bong’s helmet.  He raised the golden sphere to strike again but his arm was caught by Tatterdemalion.  The gauntlet began to glow with heat as he tightened his grip.  “You dare touch Doctor Bong?!” he screeched.  Doctor Bong swung his arm and sent Tatterdemalion colliding into a wall of family photos.  He turned his attention back to Hannibal, his eyes glaring through the helmet.  “You will pay for your hubris with your lives!  The Headmen are insurmountable!  And tonight, the bell tolls for thee!” 

Doctor Bong swung his arm to strike his helmet, when suddenly his cape seemed to come alive.  It flew up and over his head just in time to muffle the strike of the gauntlet.  Hannibal turned to see Moth, still with Miss Verde on the floor, her face taut in concentration.  “Detective!” she shouted.  “Take him out!  Now!”  Hannibal aimed his revolver at Doctor Bong, who flailed blindly as he tried to get himself untangled from the cape.  Miss Verde, still with her mouth gagged by her sweater, tackled Moth to the floor, desperately screaming muffled protests.  The cape lost it’s grip over Doctor Bong, who cast it aside, only to get caught by a bullet to the shoulder.  “LESTER!” Miss Verde screamed, the threads over mouth returning to her sweater.  Clutching his shoulder and grunting in pain, Doctor Bong ran out the door. 

“Moth!” Hannibal yelled.  He ran to her side as Miss Verde sobbed uncontrollably on the floor.  He helped Moth to her feet as Tatterdemalion ran after Bong.  Pulling up his mask, he saw Lester running down the block toward a parked car.  Tatterdemalion doubled his speed when he saw a glimpse of a red ball hovering at the steering wheel.  It was the woman Tick Tock saw in Russell’s future.  Doctor Bong leapt into the car and it took off with screeching tires out of sight.  Cursing, Tatterdemalion turned back to the Verde house.  Hannibal and Moth were running out to Hannibal’s car.  “Where did he go?” yelled Hannibal.  “He got away.  Someone from the Headmen took him,” Tatterdemalion reported.  The sound of police sirens began to draw closer.  Hannibal jumped in the car.  “We need to get out of here.  Move!”  Moth and Tatterdemalion climbed in, and the Buick sped out of the driveway. 

A few hours later, Captain DeWolff stood in Lester Verde’s room.  It was packed full of computers and other technical equipment that obscured the Iron Man posters on the walls.  Detectives Soap and Lee walked past the blown off door and joined her.  “Any word on Miss Verde’s condition?” DeWolff asked.  “She’s a little shook up, captain, but she’s recovering nicely,” Soap said consulting his notepad.  “She did give us the name of the police who wanted to talk with her son.  It was a Detective Huey and Officers Lewis and News.  I’ll have the department run a check on the names.”  DeWolff gave Soap a look of disbelief.  “Soap.  The names are fake.”  Soap looked down at his notes in confusion.  “Really, captain, I don’t think we should just assume that…” 

“Huey Lewis and the News.  It was a band.  ‘Power of Love’?  ‘Hip to be Square’?”  Soap continued to look confused as Terri Lee bit her lip to stifle her laughter.  DeWolff looked at her sternly.  “And, as I recall, it happens to be a favorite band of a certain former detective we know.”  Realization finally dawned on Soap’s face.  “You don’t think it’s King, do you?”  DeWolff crossed her arms and walked toward Terri.  “What do you think, detective?  Is it Hannibal?”  Terri cleared her throat.  “Captain, I don’t know what you are implying but…” 

“Don’t give me that crap, Lee!” DeWolff barked.  “The whole department knows that you and King were an item.  And the techs inform me that you have been requesting information about the Verde kid, including this address.  And they also told me about that cell phone you had them run a trace on.”  Soap looked in shock.  “You did all that without me knowing?”  Terri rolled her eyes and didn’t bother to look at Soap.  “Martin, Thanos could have landed on top of the Hollywood sign and you wouldn’t have known about it.” 

“Easy, detective,” cautioned DeWolff.  “You’re on the thinnest of ice right now.” 

“Captain,” said Terri, trying to remain calm.  “I believe that Detective King is conducting his own investigation into the Tombstone organization.  Perhaps he has infiltrated a group that will give him more information.” 

“And he has played on your relationship with him to violate police procedure,” said DeWolff.  “I’m sorry, Lee.  But you are leaving me no choice.  Until this matter with King is dealt with, you are suspended with pay.” 

“Captain, please!  He’s trying to help!” 

“Lee!  You will hand over your badge and sidearm.  Now.”  Terri froze for a moment, then sighed as she took her badge out of her pocket and her gun from it’s holster.  She handed them to Soap and marched out of the room.  Soap shook his head.  “I really can’t believe it.  Terri and Hannibal were a couple?”  DeWolff looked away in annoyance and examined one of the computer screens.  “Soap, get the CSI’s in here.  Have them and the techs look over every piece of technical junk in this room.  I want to know why King wanted to find this kid, and where the hell he got all of this stuff.”  As DeWolff continued to give instructions, she failed to notice a small red light blinking on one of the monitors. 

The Headmen stood in their conference room, looking at the image of DeWolff and Soap in Lester Verde’s room.  “So, it appears our grisly friends have found a new ally,” Dr. Nagan mused.  “This King could be of use to us.  Particularly his relationship with Miss Lee.” 

“I don’t quite follow you, Arthur,” Dr. Morgan wheezed.  “It’s simple, Morgan!” snapped Chondu, his metallic legs clicking on the floor.  “We use the girl to get to King, and we use King to get Mr. Russell!” 

“Precisely, Chondu!” cheered Dr. Nagan.  He turned to face Ruby Thursday.  “Dr. Thursday.  How our are recruits fairing?” 

“Mr. Verde…heh.. Doctor Bong is still recovering from his injuries.  But Shannon, Hagees, and Macendale are all adapting to their conditions quite rapidly.  They should be more than ready to provide assistance as needed.”  Dr. Nagan stroked his chin with his gorilla hand.  “Good.  Should any of those freaks try to ‘rescue’ Mr. Russell again, we’ll need a lot more than just dispensable mercenaries.  But there is the matter of capturing Miss Lee.” 

“Perhaps we call in a favor, Dr Nagan?” said Ruby pressing buttons on her iPad.  Dr. Nagan smirked.  “Oh yes, Dr. Thursday.  Someone who should be more than willing to lend us, as it were, a hand.” 

The phone ringed on Tombstone’s desk, and mob boss picked it off the receiver.  “Lincoln Funeral Home.  How may we be of service?” 

“No need to stand on formalities with us, Mr. Lincoln.  We have a proposal for you.” 

Tombstone sat up straight in his chair.  Bushwacker looked at him alert.  “Boss?  What is it?”  Tombstone waved at him to be silent then turned back to the phone.  “It’s you people?  Look, what did I tell you?  We have no more business between us.  I entrusted you to complete a service, to give me a bodyguard, and you gave me one.  I paid you, we’re done.” 

“Ah, but we’re not done, Mr. Lincoln,” said Dr. Nagan over the phone.  “It’s come to our attention that we have some new players in the game.  Individuals with unusual abilities that our interfering in both of our operations.  We have the power to make this problem go away, if you assist us with a small matter.”  Tombstone leaned back in his chair.  “And just what exactly is this ‘small matter’?” 

“Simply put, we need you to have your men acquire an acquaintance of a man who has been an annoyance to you.  LAPD detective Terri Lee.” 

Tombstone leapt to his feet, still holding the phone.  “Kidnap a cop?!  Man, I know you are half monkey but you are nuts!”  Nagan’s voice came back cold across the line.  “I’m actually part gorilla, Mr. Lincoln.  And I am not insane.  I want you to capture Miss Lee and hold her for us until we give you further instructions.  And you will do as you are ordered.”  Tombstone leaned over his desk, slamming his fist down.  “You aren’t ordering me to do nothing!” 

“Oh, but I am, Mr. Lincoln. And if you won’t follow my orders, your ‘Bushwacker’ will.”  Suddenly Bushwacker shouted in alarm.  His arm had started to transform into gun mode.  “Boss!  Boss!  Something’s happening!  It’s going by itself!”  Two of Tombstone’s henchmen tried to grab hold of Bushwacker, but his gun arm opened fire, and they both dropped dead to the floor.  Bushwacker desperately grabbed onto his arm as it pointed at Tombstone’s head.  “You really think we would have given your hired hand superpowers without a failsafe?” Dr. Nagan said confidently.  “We can take control of the arm, the firing mechanism, and the caliber of bullets.  Specifically, the caliber of bullet that can pierce that allegedly impenetrable hide of yours.”  Sweat beaded down Bushwacker’s brow as he tried to pull his arm away from Tombstone.  Tombstone’s face was taut with frustration as he raised the phone back to his lips.  “Fine,” he said through gritted teeth.  “We’ll do what you ask.” 

“Perfect!” Dr. Nagan said.  “We will send you Miss Lee’s address and other pertinent information as we calculate it.  Please stand by.”  The phone line went dead and Bushwacker’s gun arm returned to normal.  He gasped and clutched his arm as Tombstone sat down at his desk and fumed. 

Next Time: One Long Horn, and One Big Eye!