Lilandra Neramani: 2
Agent L: 4

Rumble 20577 Baraka vs. Kollector
MATCH SCORE
Baraka: 3
Kollector: 2

Why are greek gods so weak??

Guest Hayesmeister5651

Thor in Marvel is weaker than Thor in Mythology.

Mythology Thor lifts up a world large snake. Marvel Thor loses to Norman Osbourne.

Mythology Thor battles and is the best, Marvel Thor has a tendency to be powerful one issue and weak in another.

etc...

Thor was able to stand inside the sun.

Survive a supernova and also like JP said lift the midgard serpent.

Guest xman4life
Thor was able to stand inside the sun.

Survive a supernova and also like JP said lift the midgard serpent.

yes he did i do remember that but at the same time thor was getting beat down by 5 people and osborn before maria hill helped, so..............

Guest force_echo

Because, if they were all powerful Gods, Marvel couldn't use them in stories, they'd be plot devices instead of characters.

How many times have you seen OAA in a Marvel mag?

Guest xman4life
Because, if they were all powerful Gods, Marvel couldn't use them in stories, they'd be plot devices instead of characters.

How many times have you seen OAA in a Marvel mag?

No im saying thor in one second can do GREAT GREAT things and in some he has trouble with small things. im saying its a lack of consistence with the "gods". has in marvel history the gods ever addressed the fact that there are many things more powerful than them and that they dont mean much? i thought they would in chaos war but they didnt. that would have been the perfect time to do it. like Thor is quick to call someone a mortal and pulls rank sometimes but im like how when someone like dr. doom(NOT SAYING HE IS WEAK BUT SAYING HE IS JUST MORTAL) can give him a hard time?

yes he did i do remember that but at the same time thor was getting beat down by 5 people and osborn before maria hill helped, so..............

They had Sentry helping. And the U-Foes.

Osborn with these guys managed to fire off a combination attack that seemed to be like a nuke had went off on Thor.

It is when he's weakened by being attacked by Sentry and hit by this attack that he gets KOed by Osborn in the power suit.

Guest sirmethos
No im saying thor in one second can do GREAT GREAT things and in some he has trouble with small things. im saying its a lack of consistence with the "gods". has in marvel history the gods ever addressed the fact that there are many things more powerful than them and that they dont mean much? i thought they would in chaos war but they didnt. that would have been the perfect time to do it. like Thor is quick to call someone a mortal and pulls rank sometimes but im like how when someone like dr. doom(NOT SAYING HE IS WEAK BUT SAYING HE IS JUST MORTAL) can give him a hard time?

from your posts so far in this thread, it's pretty obvious that you've completely missed the point of the 'gods' in the Marvel universe.

in the Marvel universe, the gods are not 'gods' as we refer to them in every day talk. instead, the 'gods' are just other races, ie. Asgardians, Olympians, etc.

a quick list of a few races in the Marvel universe, would be: Humans/Mutants, Asgardians, Olympians, Atlanteans, Skrull, Shi'ar.

so tell me, why should some races, be 'above' the others, just because they were at one point worshipped by other races less powerful than themselves?

Guest xman4life
from your posts so far in this thread, it's pretty obvious that you've completely missed the point of the 'gods' in the Marvel universe.

in the Marvel universe, the gods are not 'gods' as we refer to them in every day talk. instead, the 'gods' are just other races, ie. Asgardians, Olympians, etc.

a quick list of a few races in the Marvel universe, would be: Humans/Mutants, Asgardians, Olympians, Atlanteans, Skrull, Shi'ar.

so tell me, why should some races, be 'above' the others, just because they were at one point worshipped by other races less powerful than themselves?

Listen im saying in marvel they were worshipped before the olympians and norse gods so im saying i want to know what do THEY think about living in an age where they are absolutely useless. like do you get what im saying. why did marvel even make it be a world where there were so called gods if they are more less super beings why not just call them mutants.

To make beings called gods and make people who are on the same level as them is like why make them period. like some people in marvel when they think of thor they are like HE IS A GOD! and put emphasis on it like he is somehow out of there leauge but then have bad guys who can do the same things thor can. THAT is what im talking about.

and i completely understand what your saying i really do. but im saying thatwe think of gods as something different but in marvel they kind of look at them like that and sometimes they dont. I would have thought chaos war could have been VERY big and answered all of my issues with that but it started good and ended horribly. I wish that one day like all of the gods just outright go at it with the mutantas and heroes in a whos the best battle. I would love to see it.

Guest force_echo

Sirmethos gets what you're saying, you just don't get what he's saying. "Gods" in the MU aren't "Gods" in mythology, its just a name, just a billet, it can be interchangeable. They are called Gods because of the background that comes with it. If Thor and Odin weren't Gods, they would lose their entire "Norse god" background, if they were just mutants, you would have taken away the entirety of the character, and where he came from. The whole origin of Thor is that he's a Norse God. Not a mutant, or a guy thrown in radioactive sludge or something. Jesus Christ, I wonder if you made it to be head of Marvel. The entirety of 616 continuum would be messed up.

Guest xman4life
Sirmethos gets what you're saying, you just don't get what he's saying. "Gods" in the MU aren't "Gods" in mythology, its just a name, just a billet, it can be interchangeable. They are called Gods because of the background that comes with it. If Thor and Odin weren't Gods, they would lose their entire "Norse god" background, if they were just mutants, you would have taken away the entirety of the character, and where he came from. The whole origin of Thor is that he's a Norse God. Not a mutant, or a guy thrown in radioactive sludge or something. Jesus Christ, I wonder if you made it to be head of Marvel. The entirety of 616 continuum would be messed up.

I said I wondered how they feel about the situation. Like thor odin ares.ect about being gods and having mortal who are sometimes more powerful than them like legion. And then you have other gods who are more powerful than other. Need an example fine. How about how ares can be manipulated by someone like daken(and before you speak realize I know his emotion persuasion powers) or even osborn? And even had a hard time beating the guy from secret warriors stonewall.

Thor beat iron man pretty easy which really wasn't a fight fight but basically put him in his place about the whole god and motrl thing. Ares alone should have killed ALL of the new avengers singlehandly that's why they never REALLY went at it. And how could thor had a better chance against sentry when ARES the god of war was beaten so easy it made him look like a joke in the first place?

Marvel made that ares a joke honestly. He lost to morgan la fey but could almost killed NATE GREY like are you serious! So those are issues that have always stuck out to me.

And just so were up to speed you can read the trade of dark x-men about him almost killing nate grey

The trade of Seige for ares getting killed and thor handling his business.

And the trade of dark avengers assemble for ares being turned to stone by morgan la fey. Yeah I read comics no research nessicary!

Guest xman4life

And also if the difference between gods and mortals are gods are immortal then why are they killed just as easy as other heroes. And if your logic is they come back then hasn't EVERYONE comeback?

So. Like I was saying what make gods "gods" in marvel? What's the criteria? Born with there abilities? Mutants are too. Long lasting life? Dr nemesis comes to mind along with wolverine.

Super strength? Luke cage, juggernaut.

Incredible power? Silver surfer, sentry..

Like what makes them gods? Some people in the marvel universe(read the siege trade) understand them as basically super powered people and even one female villain said thor is the bruce lee of asgard and the rest are as tough as spider man. Meaning they barely take them seriously)

Guest force_echo

OMFG. What makes them Gods is the fact that they have the background of a God. Are you so mentally retarded that you don't know how to freaking read my last post? Thor is a norse God because he is a Norse god, thats just plain what he is. Ares is a God because he is a Roman God, thats his whole damn character. Galactus isn;t a God, because he dosen;t have the background of a God, it dosen;t matter if he's stronger than Thor and Ares, he's a mortal who absorbed Eternity of the last universe, not a God. I don;t know if you understand this, but I can;t put it into simpler terms.

And the trade of dark avengers assemble for ares being turned to stone by morgan la fey. Yeah I read comics no research nessicary!

If you had actually read the comic then you'd know that Ares was the only member of the Dark Avengers that La Fey was afraid of, which is why she had Venom try to eat him from behind. Ares presumably dealt with Venom, and before he could react to La Fey she used one of her most powerful techniques on him and he was turned to stone. Besides, as force_echo said, stop bitching that they're not as powerful as you think they should be, particularly about Ares. Ares can lift around 80 tons , deflect missiles with ease (Hercules once slammed a missile that was the same height as Ares full force into his face. He hardly reacted and was beating up Hercules a panel later.) and can run at speeds of up to 65 MPH. He's a master hand-to-hand combatant and weapons master to boot. There are and always will be a few superhumans that exceed the Gods in terms of power (Sentry, Gladiator etc.). Anyway, again as Force_echo said it's their background that makes them a God, not their abilities (Which aren't exactly lacking either). Ares is a God because he's the son of Zeus. Sentry is not a God because he drank a special formula.

Guest xman4life

Lol no you guys aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm not arguing anyones point I'm asking a question. Ok let me slow it down because people here get very whiny! Lol

I'm saying since the beginning of time in MARVELS universe. Gods were worshipped and what not and I'm asking because they are known for telling the difference between mutanats and super humns I'm saying what if gods ARE just mutants. Like what makes them different. That's what I'm saying. That's why I asked what makes a god a god. A lot of people "CLAIMED" to be a god but what make a god a god. The title? That's what I'm asking.

Guest LegendX
Lol no you guys aren't getting what I'm saying. I'm not arguing anyones point I'm asking a question. Ok let me slow it down because people here get very whiny! Lol

I'm saying since the beginning of time in MARVELS universe. Gods were worshipped and what not and I'm asking because they are known for telling the difference between mutanats and super humns I'm saying what if gods ARE just mutants. Like what makes them different. That's what I'm saying. That's why I asked what makes a god a god. A lot of people "CLAIMED" to be a god but what make a god a god. The title? That's what I'm asking.

Let me take a crack at this. The 'gods' in comics are 'gods' because they are based off various 'gods' in real life mythology. In Marvel, in specific, they differ from mutants in that mutants are humans born with genes that give them special powers and 'gods' typically come from a different plane of existence. Though the 'gods' may often appear human they are not human.

In regards to the immortality questions... In this context immortality does not refer to an inability to die, it simply means that they don't just die of old age. Barring being kill by someone or something, they won't die.

Guest sirmethos

i already explained/answered that question once, but i'll try to do so again, in more simple terms for the slow readers.

Gods in the Marvel universe, are a class of races.

ie. the term 'God', is the overall name for that class of races. the sub-classes are ones like Asgardians, Olympians, The Annunaki, The Danaans, The Ahau, The Amtatu-Kami, The Manidoog, The Dievas, The Akua, The Jumala, The Apu, The Xian.

there are of course differences between the various sub-classes, but there are difference between All sub-classes, in All races.

to ask "what makes a god a god", is the same as asking, what makes a human a human? or, what makes a snake a snake. or, what makes a Skrull a Skrull, or a thousand similar questions.

Guest Blue Beetle (Jamie Reyes)

If Athena can't even have a superhuman daughter, then yes, I'd say the Greek gods are pretty weak.

Guest sirmethos
If Athena can't even have a superhuman daughter, then yes, I'd say the Greek gods are pretty weak.

what are you talking about?

Athena doesn't have a daughter in neither Marvel nor DC.

Guest tomisntblue
what are you talking about?

Athena doesn't have a daughter in neither Marvel nor DC.

He's talking about the Lightening Thief

Guest sirmethos
He's talking about the Lightening Thief

... that's completely out of context.

up until now, the conversation has been centered on the gods in Comics.