Jackson Storm: 0

Archangel vs. Gambit
MATCH SCORE
Archangel: 1
Gambit: 4

All She Needs is a Crew

Guest zig7

Here is the challenge:

You have a ship and you need to form a crew of any science fiction characters. These characters should be from media which is primarily scifi in genera. I’m trying to prevent people from picking characters who are overpowered for a scifi only universe. For example picking some reality bending universe buster from comics or anime is not cool. I can be more specific about this if need be. There are specific roles which need to be filled and there are a few rules.

The goal is to create a crew capable of succeeding in the largest variety of objectives. Some example missions include espionage, smuggling, transport, dog-fight, commanding larger fleets, diplomatic missions, and anything else a ship might be asked to do.

The first rule is this. No crew member can surpass a different crew member in their designated role. For example one might choose Han Solo for their gunner. Then their pilot must be a better pilot than Han, their fighter a better fighter than Han, their mechanic a better mechanic than Han, ect…

The second rule is this. Your crew must be able to feasibly form some kind of working relationship. If the captain is an evil SOB, then every member of the crew had better be willing to perform evil actions. Also, one cannot choose a “mindless†being for a crew member like a xenomorph.

The final rule is more of a guideline. Each character you pick is not randomly grabbed from whatever he/she is doing and put in this crew. The context of the character in their universe is kept in mind. If a character has allegiances or responsibilities then he/she may be called on from time to time to fulfill these obligations. This might cause the crew member to leave the ship. How often a crew member can be on the ship is included in their pros and cons. Following are some examples of context.

Darth Vader would be a really powerful crew member, however he is also second in command of the empire and thus he might have to leave the ship to deal with those responsibilities (possibly quite frequently). Vader also has the advantage of being able to call on the resources of the empire. However Vader can only call on these resources for missions for the empire (again limiting how useful the advantage is). He cannot simply get the best gear for every member of the crew and upgrade the ship to crazy proportions. This last part is mainly to keep things fair, because characters with almost unlimited money or resources would be able to do everything themselves which would defeat the point of this challenge.

Conversely Bobba Fet would also be a powerful crew member and he has the advantage of not having many connections. Any bounties he goes after could be considered missions of the crew. He could be on the ship all the time.

Here is another loophole which I want to avoid. If you choose the top leader of an organization who answers to no one like Emperor Palpatine then you might argue that he could just make this ship his flagship and thus be on the ship all the time. However there are other drawbacks to this. A person who answers to no one can only be the captain of the ship. Also, if you choose such a person as captain then that will limit what missions the crew can take. In general such a leader would only take missions which benefit his organization.

The last example of context would be reputation. In general any Jedi is going to receive a warm welcome on most planets and on other planets he could possibly hide his affiliation. As one might have guessed, there might be advantages to choosing a generic character rather than a known character. If a generic character is picked then it is assumed that they can stay on the ship all the time. A generic character cannot be used if every type of that character is accounted for. For example one could pick a generic Jedi Knight, but could not pick some generic class for which every member is accounted for.

I realize that this context thing makes many of everyone’s favorite characters less advantageous than many would like. It would be possible to convince me to drop the whole thing, but I think it adds some interesting elements and keeps people from making a crew of all the most powerful beings in every universe.

The last thing to keep in mind is that although each crew member is designated to a specific roll, this does not mean they cannot be useful in other areas. Your pilot might also be a good gunner and this advantage is taken into account. As long as your actual gunner is better (see first rule). Your mechanic might also be a good inventor. This advantage would also be considered, because as he is fixing the ship he can also be thinking of new ways to make the ship better.

The roles to fill:

Captain: This crew member must excel in leadership such as commanding men and their loyalties. He must be able to make quick decisions ect…

Pilot: Flies the ship.

Mechanic: Performs maintenance on the ship. The skill of the mechanic is what matters. It will be assumed that he can maintain whatever type of systems are on the ship with the same skill as the systems he maintains in his universe.

Gunner: Mans the ship mounted guns used mainly for ship to ship combat.

Fighter: A brawler / gun-fighter / swordsman / whatever. He excels at fighting using hand-held weapons.

Medic: This crew member keeps the crew healthy.

Ship Computer: This member performs all the computer related operations of the ship. It can be an AI, droid, robot, cyborg, or even a human. There just needs to be evidence that the being is capable of computer like functions and calculations.

Wild Card: This crew member usually has some kind of special ability. Use this spot to round out the abilities of your crew or to give your crew some kind of special edge.

Finally along with the names and story titles of the crew, please give a paragraph summary of why this crew is the best and also a paragraph of the possible weaknesses in your crew.

Sorry about the massive amount of text for this. I just kept thinking of more stuff to add. Let me know what you guys think of this challenge and how it could be made better.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain: Grand Admiral Thrawn. Star Wars series

Pilot: Captain Malcolm. Firefly series.

Mechanic: Marvin the paranoid android. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy series.

Gunner: Boba Fett. Star wars series.(I'm seeing a pattern here.)

Fighter: The T-X terminator. Terminator series.

Medic: Dr Beverly Crusher. Star Trek series.

Ship Computer: Cortana. Halo series.

Wild Card: "Starkiller." The Force Unleashed game.

Reason: My crew is designed for one thing. To kick the crap out of whoever try's to take them on. We have the Grand Admiral for our strategies(The man is a walking supercomputer!) anyone trying to out-think HIM is going down. We then have captain Malcolm, a good pilot in his own right and handy in a fight. He's not so bad in the devious side himself. Our mechanic, Marvin is incredibly smart and can basically turn his hand to anything. And should he sink into his depression, Thrawn can simply devise some sort of puzzle for him to ponder or perhaps get him interested in art. Art is not logical, and therefore will require more effort from Marvin then is needed. Our gunner, the bounty hunter Boba Fett, nuff said there. The T-X terminator, able to infiltrate any world with her shape-shifting abilities and is the equivalent of a small arsenal. Dr Crusher, a very good doctor and perhaps dare I say it, the voice of reason and light within the group. Cortana, a very knowledgeable AI. Taking care of the ship shouldn't be too hard for her and finally, my Wild Card. Starkiller, perhaps the strongest force-user since Yoda. So who wants to try their luck? C'mon, you know you want it.

Lol, so what do you think?

You definitely have the firepower to complete any missions which require fighting. You would probably do well in stealth and other missions of that sort as well. I think the missions which your crew would have the most problems with are ones which require diplomacy. But as you said, that is not what you designed your team for.

Also, I think you would need to switch The T-X Terminator and Starkiller, because starkiller is a better fighter than the T-X.

I'm still working on my team, but I'll post it when I have it ready.

Captain

Lelouch.png

Zero (Lelouch Lamperouge) from Code Geass

Pilot

Keyes.png

Jacob Keyes

Mechanic

Bulma.png

Bulma Briefs

Gunner

AI.png

Generic UNSC AI "Sam"

Fighter

Samus.png

Samus Aran

Medic

Bashir.png

Julian Bashir

Computer

AuroraUnit.png

Aurora Unit 242

Wild Card

Nunally.png

Nunnally Lamperouge

Massive Edit: I tired to tweak one little thing when my internet cut out and deleted most of my post, I have fixed it to base standards.

You definitely have the firepower to complete any missions which require fighting. You would probably do well in stealth and other missions of that sort as well. I think the missions which your crew would have the most problems with are ones which require diplomacy. But as you said, that is not what you designed your team for.

Also, I think you would need to switch The T-X Terminator and Starkiller, because starkiller is a better fighter than the T-X.

I'm still working on my team, but I'll post it when I have it ready.

First for diplomacy, I have Thrawn for that. He can be pretty charming when he wants and can tell the character of a being by the artwork it collects. Diplomacy shouldn't be too far off for him. Also, I choose the T-X terminator because she has the ability to morph her features. She's more stealth based oriented in my crew. And should she ever find herself over-powered, then my wild card jumps in the fray.

First for diplomacy, I have Thrawn for that. He can be pretty charming when he wants and can tell the character of a being by the artwork it collects. Diplomacy shouldn't be too far off for him. Also, I choose the T-X terminator because she has the ability to morph her features. She's more stealth based oriented in my crew. And should she ever find herself over-powered, then my wild card jumps in the fray.

Though there are participation issues with your crew. I can't really see the T-X working well with humans and humanoids, as her primary function is to wipe them out... Though this issue could be taken care of with some good reprogramming (Though remember that it doesn't always take...)

As for Thrawn, well he has duties to the Galactic Empire since he's one of their Grand Admirals and all...

Another point would be Galan Marek cooperatively working with his enemy (Thrawn), this would probably cause extreme turmoil amongst the crew.

As well, Boba Fett does not work well with other people (From what I've read) I would doubt his ability to work with the crew and not get them killed, which would draw resentment from them.

The rest seem ok, except for a few minor problems.

Malcolm may not be alright working under Thrawn, as the admiral is both strange to look at and Charmingly Egotistical... not saying there would be a Big problem though it could be an issue.

I believe that you cleared up the issue with Marven...

Beverly may not tolerate working on a ship with such a chaotic crew, having to deal with a yappy AI, a chronically depressed android, a stone cold killer robot, a detached faceless hunter, a dark and edgy hero type with something almost like a martyr complex, and an unconventional and rough hero type... hell, the only reprieve she would have from them all would be Thrawn.

All together they may very well smash missions apart with ease, if they work together... but I can't really see them doing that, which would mean that their effectiveness be severely hampered.

Though there are participation issues with your crew. I can't really see the T-X working well with humans and humanoids, as her primary function is to wipe them out... Though this issue could be taken care of with some good reprogramming (Though remember that it doesn't always take...)

As for Thrawn, well he has duties to the Galactic Empire since he's one of their Grand Admirals and all...

Another point would be Galan Marek cooperatively working with his enemy (Thrawn), this would probably cause extreme turmoil amongst the crew.

As well, Boba Fett does not work well with other people (From what I've read) I would doubt his ability to work with the crew and not get them killed, which would draw resentment from them.

The rest seem ok, except for a few minor problems.

Malcolm may not be alright working under Thrawn, as the admiral is both strange to look at and Charmingly Egotistical... not saying there would be a Big problem though it could be an issue.

I believe that you cleared up the issue with Marven...

Beverly may not tolerate working on a ship with such a chaotic crew, having to deal with a yappy AI, a chronically depressed android, a stone cold killer robot, a detached faceless hunter, a dark and edgy hero type with something almost like a martyr complex, and an unconventional and rough hero type... hell, the only reprieve she would have from them all would be Thrawn.

All together they may very well smash missions apart with ease, if they work together... but I can't really see them doing that, which would mean that their effectiveness be severely hampered.

I read those series about Boba Fett. The only reason usually that he broke the bounty hunters guild was because that was his objective. In this team, there would be no profit and thus no reason to rock the boat.

I read those series about Boba Fett. The only reason usually that he broke the bounty hunters guild was because that was his objective. In this team, there would be no profit and thus no reason to rock the boat.

But due to no profit, why would he stay?

But due to no profit, why would he stay?

When I said "no profit" I was merely referring to the fact that unlike the Bounty Hunter league, no one hired him to take out the team he's in. So why ruin a good thing?

Captain: Revan-One of the most talented and powerful Sith ever...possible even more powerful as a jedi. Great Tactician- able to fight the Mandalorian Generals to a standstill and then start beating on them...ending the Mandalorian War at Malachor V.

Pilot: Carth Onasi-Hailed as one of the best pilots in Star Wars. Able to land the Ebon Hawk on Rakata relatively well, despite the fact many systems were fried, and a tractor beam was pulling them. Successfully got them off The Star Forge as it blew. Became an Admiral, and fought Darth Nihilus at Telos IV.

Mechanic: Lighter-than-some = Huragok from Halo: Contact Harvest. Great with machines.

Gunner: Fox Mcloud- Starfox

Fighter- Serg. Avery Johnson- Nuff said.

Medic: Julian Bashir- Star Trek

Ship Computer: Cortana- Halo.

Wild Card: Rtas Vadum- Halo

Guest KevinDWolf93

Hey Treach, heres my team, some would have a bit of a disadvantage of having to do missions, but can a loophole be that if all organizations the different people were apart of, put said group together specifically for special operations, or does the origin of the team not effect how often someone can be aboard to begin with? Example, if everyone was ordered to be a crew on a frigate,bounty ship,etc. with idea of being recon or backup for others, would it be safe to say most missions wont be hindered, or at least have it where rest of team can join in or get temp. replacement when someone is called away?(sorry for confusing wording,Im in a hurry)

Leader: Anakin Skywalker(Star Wars)-Reckless, and intelligent. Jack of all trades,proficent with most other jobs.

Pilot:Im gonna say Wedge Antilles(Also star wars)-man survived 2 death star raids, and rogue squadron leader for quite awhile

Mechanic:(Star Wars again)Chewbacca-Good mechanic, constantly tinkering with ship...not bad in a fight either.

Gunner:(Star wars)Generic gen.1 LAAT Clone Trooper gunner:Survived tussles, ready for fight

Fighter:Arbiter(halo)-Skilled warrior Elite.

Medic:ODST Filed Medic(Halo)Skilled, and ready fro most situations

Computer:R2-D2 (Star wars...again)-The droid can do loads of stuff,nuff said.

Wild Card:Gene Starwind(Outlaw star)-Tough , and ready for a fight.Carries a load of weapons, but main draw is caster gun that'll be an intresting fight when hose come into place.

Sorry for the large pics, I lost my Adobe Photoshop (which I used to use to shrink images). Here is the precarious nature of Khan's crew...

Captain -Khan Noonien Singh (Wrath of Khan/Star Trek)

49e5bed583.jpg

The "Ãœbermensch" captain of the Reliant, Khan was genetically created to be completely void of the physical and mental limitations of man. He is known as one of history's most notorious dictators. He wants nothing more than to rule over all.

Computer – Danger (X-men)

286026dd60.jpg

Encountering Khan on a chance affair, Danger finds him "Interesting". So much so, that she decides to accompany/assist him in his endeavors in a fact finding mission to explore humanities complexities. She even helps him to find his new crew. Danger's ability to control other machines and to create realistic hard-light holographic projections become extremely useful in Khan's works.

Pilot - Soontir Fel (Star Wars)

edafa5235f.jpg

"Fel is the best Imperial pilot alive."

―Tycho Celchu

Soontir Fel was considered among the best starfighter pilots in the galaxy, becoming an Imperial hero. His reputation is renown. Soontir defects to Khan's group due to Khan's charm and charisma and a little thing known as Ceti eels.

Mechanic – Forge

43b72f4639.jpg

Forge has the mutant ability to create anything he puts his mind to. Danger has the most extensive database of the X-men known to man. She leads Khan to Forge and together with her ability to control machines and his Ceti eels. They kidnap and sway Forge to their side.

Gunner - Tri-Klops (He-Man)

81f86dfc00.jpg

Tri-Klops has the ability to see through solid objects, night vision, distavision (the ability to see great distances), to see in every direction at the same time and optic blasts. Through Forge's and Danger's manipulation his vision abilities have been incorporated into the ships. With him in the cockpit of a gun turrent, nothing can get the drop on Khan's ship. He joins for the sheer joy of being on a winning team.

Fighter - Slade/Deathstroke (DC Comics)

48902d216f.jpg

What's really to say here. You pays him, he slays 'em.

Wild Card - Ravage (Transformers)

f7354b3203.jpg

Completely under the control of Danger, the hold is absolute. However, separate from Shockwave, Ravage is a mere shadow of his former self: Solemn and withdrawn. Often accompanying Deathstroke on missions of subterfuge, he is capable of masking himself from many forms of detection: he walks without a sound, becomes virtually invisible in subdued light or shadow, and he can shield his internal electromagnetic radiation from monitoring devices. Superior sensors in his nose module give him highly advanced senses of smell, hearing and electromagnetic wave detection, and he is armed with two low-radiation one-megaton proton bombs mounted on his rear hips. Anything recorded by Ravage is immediately scanned into the ship's computers for analyzation.

Medic - EMH Program AK-1 (Star Trek)

6166dfd641.jpg

Stolen tech from from Starfleet (Star Trek), the Doctor has been reprogramed by Forge and Danger. He is now completely under the sway of Khan. The "EMH" is a holographic computer program designed to treat patients during emergency situations. Programmed with all current Starfleet medical knowledge, the Doctor is equipped with the knowledge and mannerisms of historic Federation doctors. With Danger's hardlight capabilities, the Doctor's holographic technology has advanced to him the next level.

I'd love to see this hit the Rumble Boards. How would Crew A match up to Crew B, in a random battle (Diplomatic, Away Mission, Ship battle, etc.)

I'd love to see this hit the Rumble Boards. How would Crew A match up to Crew B, in a random battle (Diplomatic, Away Mission, Ship battle, etc.)

I was thinking the same thing. Anyone who wants to make a team, but is not done yet, please let us know so that I can setup a tournament. What I'll probably do is create a list of missions which the teams will compete in. I'll come up with a list and if anyone has suggestions for new ones or modifications of already suggested ones feel free to say so.

However we will have to set up some ground rules, because some advantages will have to be ignored. I say this, because some advantages are too open ended. For example if the mission is an open fight between the two, then it would not be fair to assume that the T-X had already infiltrated the opposing team or that Bulma had made her ship a time machine and thus could keep retrying until they win. If anyone disagrees with this I would be willing to listen to rational arguments.

BTW, I love the choice of Bulma as the mechanic. I'm having trouble filling that role. Having said that I am still working on it and will be done soon.

Medic added. I'll put a bow on it tomorrow and tie them together (context). And Skirmisher, I thought you had a great fighter?

He's a great fighter, and with him everyone is fairly well tied together... Though the one I'm thinking of replacing him with is a much better fighter, although I would have to sack some team unity to shoehorn this new one in.

No ideas allowed.

Ha Ha! Too Late...

Massive Update on my Crew, added in a bit more story elements, and found a good replacement for the computer that works well with the current members.